Plucking out her lovely eye,
with mind unattached
she felt no regret.
“Here, take this eye. It’s yours.”
Straightaway she gave it to him.
Straightaway his passion faded right there,
and he begged her forgiveness.

Thig 14.1

As Subha the nun was going through Jivaka’s delightful mango grove, a libertine (a goldsmith’s son) blocked her path, so she said to him:

"What wrong have I done you
that you stand in my way?
It’s not proper, my friend,
that a man should touch
a woman gone forth.
I respect the Master’s message,
the training pointed out by the one well-gone.
I am pure, without blemish:
Why do you stand in my way?

You — your mind agitated,
I — unagitated;
You — impassioned,
I — unimpassioned, unblemished,
with a mind everywhere released:
Why do you stand in my way?"

“You are young & not bad-looking,
what need do you have for going forth?
Throw off your ochre robe —
Come, let’s delight in the flowering forest.
A sweetness they exude from all around,
the towering trees with their pollen.
The beginning of spring is a pleasant season —
Come, let’s delight in the flowering forest.
The trees with their blossoming tips
moan, as it were, in the breeze:
What delight will you have
if you plunge into the forest alone?
Frequented by herds of wild beasts,
disturbed by elephants rutting & aroused:
you want to go
unaccompanied
into the great, lonely, frightening forest?
Like a doll made of gold, you will go about,
like a goddess in the gardens of heaven.
With delicate, smooth Kasi fabrics,
you will shine, O beauty without compare.
I would be under your power
if we were to dwell in the wood.
For there is no creature dearer to me
than you,
O nymph with the languid regard.
If you do as I ask, happy, come live in my house.
Dwelling in the calm of a palace,
have women wait on you,
wear delicate Kasi fabrics,
adorn yourself with garlands & creams.
I will make you many & varied ornaments
of gold, jewels, & pearls.
Climb onto a costly bed,
scented with sandalwood carvings,
with a well-washed coverlet, beautiful,
spread with a woolen quilt, brand new.
Like a blue lotus rising from the water,
where there dwell non-human spirits,
you will go to old age with your limbs unseen,
if you stay as you are in the holy life.”

“What do you assume of any essence,
here in this cemetery grower, filled with corpses,
this body destined to break up?
What do you see when you look at me,
you who are out of your mind?”

“Your eyes
are like those of a fawn,
like those of a nymph in the mountains.
Seeing your eyes, my sensual delight
grows all the more.
Like tips they are, of blue lotuses,
in your golden face
— spotless:
Seeing your eyes, my sensual delight
grows all the more.
Even if you should go far away,
I will think only of your pure,
long-lashed gaze,
for there is nothing dearer to me
than your eyes,
O nymph with the languid regard.”

"You want to stray from the road,
you want the moon as a plaything,
you want to jump over Mount Sineru,
you who have designs on one born of the Buddha.
For there is nothing anywhere at all
in the world with its devas,
that would be an object of passion for me.
I don’t even know what that passion would be,
for it’s been killed, root & all, by the path.
Like embers from a pit — scattered,
like a bowl of poison — evaporated,
I don’t even see what that passion would be,
for it’s been killed, root & all, by the path.
Try to seduce one who hasn’t reflected on this,
or who the Master hasn’t instructed.
But try it with this one who knows
and you do yourself violence.
For whether insulted or worshiped,
in pleasure or pain,
my mindfulness stands firm.

Knowing the unattractiveness
of fabricated things,
my heart adheres nowhere at all.
I am a follower of the one well-gone,
riding the vehicle of the eightfold way:
My arrow removed, effluent-free,
I delight, having gone to an empty dwelling.
For I have seen well-painted puppets,
hitched up with sticks & strings,
made to dance in various ways.
When the sticks & strings are removed,
thrown away, scattered, shredded,
smashed into pieces, not to be found,
in what will the mind there make its home?
This body of mine, which is just like that,
when devoid of dhammas doesn’t function.
When, devoid of dhammas, it doesn’t function,
in what will the mind there make its home?
Like a mural you’ve seen, painted on a wall,
smeared with yellow orpiment,
there your vision has been distorted,
meaningless your perception of a human being.
Like an evaporated mirage,
like a tree of gold in a dream,
like a magic show in the midst of a crowd —
you run blind after what is unreal.
Resembling a ball of sealing wax,
set in a hollow,
with a bubble in the middle
& bathed with tears,
eye secretions are born there too:
The parts of the eye
are rolled all together
in various ways."

Plucking out her lovely eye,
with mind unattached
she felt no regret.

“Here, take this eye. It’s yours.”

Straightaway she gave it to him.
Straightaway his passion faded right there,
and he begged her forgiveness.

“Be safe, follower of the holy life.
This sort of thing
won’t happen again.
Harming a person like you
is like embracing a blazing fire,
It’s as if I have seized a poisonous snake.
So may you be safe. Forgive me.”

And freed from there, the nun
went to the excellent Buddha’s presence.
When she saw the mark of his excellent merit,
her eye became
as it was before.

16 Likes

Perception & Reality

13 Likes

King Bimbisara becomes a stream-enterer

MA 62

Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, assembled his fourfold army, that is, elephant troops, cavalry, chariot troops, and infantry. Having assembled his fourfold army, he went to visit the Buddha accompanied by countless people, [a company that was] one league in length.
Then the World-honored One, seeing from afar that Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, was coming, left the road and went to a well-established royal banyan tree, placed his sitting mat beneath it, and sat down cross-legged, together with the company of monks.
Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, saw from afar the World-honored One among the trees of the forest, dignified and beautiful, like the moon amidst the stars, with radiant aura, shining like a golden mountain, endowed with handsome appearance and lofty dignity, with sense faculties calm, free of obstruction, accomplished and disciplined, with his mind calm and quiet. Seeing this, [the king] descended from his chariot.
Like any khattiya king who has been [consecrated by] the sprinkling of water on his head, who is the lord of his people and reigns over the entire land, he was equipped with the five royal insignia: first, a sword; second, a parasol; third, a royal headdress; fourth, a fly whisk with bejeweled handle; and fifth, ornate sandals. Having put aside all of these and left the fourfold army behind, he approached the Buddha on foot.
Arriving there, he made obeisance and three times announced his name, “World-honored One, I am the king of Magadha, Seniya Bimbisāra.”

At that time, Venerable Uruvela Kassapa was sitting among the company [of monks]. Venerable Uruvela Kassapa was well remembered by the citizens of Magadha, being reckoned by them as a great and venerable teacher and a True Person, free of attachment. Then the citizens of Magadha thought: Does the renunciant Gotama train in the holy life under Uruvela Kassapa or does Uruvela Kassapa train in the holy life under the renunciant Gotama?
At that time the World-honored One, knowing what the citizens of Magadha were thinking, recited a verse to Venerable Uruvela Kassapa:
Uruvela [Kassapa], what did you see
That you stopped [worshiping] fire and came here?
Tell me, Kassapa,
Why do you no longer [perform] the fire sacrifice?
[Uruvela Kassapa replied:]
I worshiped fire out of desire
For food and drink of various flavors.
[But] the vision of the middle [path] arose, like this,
Therefore, I no longer delighted in [such] sacrifices.

Then the World-honored One said, “Kassapa, you should now display [your] supernormal powers, in order to arouse faith and delight in the assembly.” Then Venerable Uruvela Kassapa performed a supernatural feat such that he disappeared from his seat and appeared in the east, soaring through the air while displaying the four postures, of which the first is walking, the second standing, the third sitting, and the fourth is reclining. Again, he entered concentration on the fire [element]. Once Venerable Uruvela Kassapa had entered concentration on the fire [element], there emerged from his body flames of various colors: blue, yellow, red, and white, and amid them clear water. When fire emerged from the lower part of his body, water emerged from the upper part of his body; when fire emerged from the upper part of his body, water emerged from the lower part of his body. In the same way [he appeared] in the south, . . . in the west, . . . in the north, soaring through the air while displaying the four postures, of which the first is walking, the second standing, the third sitting, and the fourth is reclining.

Having witnessed this, the citizens of Magadha thought: The renunciant Gotama does not train in the holy life under Uruvela Kassapa; Uruvela Kassapa trains in the holy life under the renunciant Gotama.
The World-honored One, knowing the thoughts of the citizens of Magadha, then taught the Dharma to Seniya Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, exhorting, encouraging, and delighting him.
Having with countless skillful means taught him the Dharma, having exhorted, encouraged, and delighted him, [he did] as all buddhas do when first teaching the true Dharma to delight their hearers: he taught him about generosity, virtue, rebirth in heaven, the disadvantages of sensual desire, and the defilement of [continued] birth and death, extolling the excellence of dispassion and the purity of the constituents of the path. The World-honored One gave the great king [such] teachings. The Buddha knew that [the king’s] mind was delighted, prepared, malleable, able to endure, uplifted, one-pointed, free of doubt, free of the hindrances, [possessing] the ability and power to receive the true Dharma, in accordance with the essential teaching of all buddhas. The World-honored One then taught him about suffering, its arising, its cessation and the path [leading to its cessation]:

As the Buddha delivered this teaching, [the mind of] Seniya Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, became free of defilements, and [in regard] to all phenomena the Dharma eye arose [in him]; and [the minds of] eighty thousand gods and twelve thousand citizens of Magadha became free of defilements, and [in regard] to all phenomena the Dharma eye arose [in them].
Then Seniya Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, saw the Dharma, attained the Dharma, realized the perfectly pure Dharma; he discarded doubt, overcame perplexity; he would take no other teacher, would never again follow another; he was without uncertainty.
Having attained the fruit of realization and attained unshakeability in the Dharma of the World-honored One, [the king] rose from his seat, made obeisance [with his head] at the Buddha’s feet, and said: World-honored One, I now take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the community of monks. May the World-honored One please receive me as a lay follower; from this day on until life ends, I take refuge [in the Triple Gem] for my whole life.
This is what the Buddha said. Having heard the Buddha’s words, Seniya Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, eighty thousand gods, twelve thousand citizens of Magadha, and a thousand monks were delighted and remembered them well.

13 Likes

Contentment & Gratitude

16 Likes

Urge to control

14 Likes

So sad to look at—it hurts my heart! :cry::broken_heart:

6 Likes

Tilorien Monastery chanting book cover :musical_note:

16 Likes

Oh, I like it! :heartpulse::musical_score::musical_note::notes::heartpulse:

6 Likes

Searching for someone else to make us whole

18 Likes

Fix Samsara!

17 Likes

ah this one bothers me a bit. Because what such beings are working on is reducing greed; hate; ignorance; disbelief in kamma ripening; intending and cultivating compassion for all beings…

edit: regarding Fix Samsara!

1 Like

Perhaps Ayya Vimala’s hammer drill will do the trick. :wink:

7 Likes

lol now that is a n excellent fix to samsara, yes. Thank you.

1 Like

Inspired by building works? :wink:

3 Likes

We’re not fixing Samsara; but perhaps it is good to build monasteries while we are in it.

P.S. I liked the “fix samsara” doodle so much that it is my laptop’s background image right now. Thanks.

11 Likes

We need to keep samsara fixed enough so that practice is still possible.

9 Likes

:grin: Yes, that photo might have inspired the doodle… :hammer_and_wrench::nut_and_bolt:

4 Likes

Meditation Companion

For all those who have trouble meditating alone at home, the doodle nun-monk will now keep you company. :wink:
Just sit down in front of your screen, open the doodle, and enjoy the sit with this calm and peaceful meditation master.

20 second demo version

10 min meditation

12 Likes

Wow, that second nun is a good meditator, she’s as still as an image! Haven’t seen her move once and I’ve been staring for several hours! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I hope you actually meditated with them for so long! :wink:

Only the demo version is on replay. The 10 min meditation just ends when the time is over and the nun-monk opens their eyes and sends you metta.

Edit: I just noticed that it actually is on replay. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’ll change it later.

Edit 2: I changed it and it should not replay anymore.

4 Likes