Dhamma doodles 😁

It is definitely not good for anything from the perspective of Buddha Dhamma!

I think the bodhisattva said it lead his mind to be concentrated (!) in a sutta which described the austerities- however it certainly isn’t recommended and concentration can be reached in other ways. I think the concentration was a by product of extreme letting go, if not extreme suppression of cravings.

With metta

Actually, the dung was dried for eating, not for wearing - at least in this particular Theragatha verse: :wink:

And “no pain no gain” is still a wide-spread idea in many spiritual communities - including Buddhists - even today.

5 Likes

On the bright side, I’m sure cow dung is loaded with probiotics!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

“Progress” at Tilorien Monastery

11 Likes

Cool! Except for
 the image isn’t there. :disappointed_relieved:

Edit:
Huch, now it’s here—my computer playing tricks on me today?

It looks like a little bit dangerous what you’re doing! :astonished:

After my first shock: I hope and wish that you are all well again very soon! :hibiscus: :heartpulse: :grinning:

2 Likes

You can relax. :wink:
It’s an artist’s impression of the events at the construction site. Nobody really had a near-death experience.
:relaxed:

5 Likes

Enjoying sensual pleasures

MN 54

“Suppose there was a pit of glowing coals deeper than a man’s height, full of glowing coals that neither flamed nor smoked. Then a person would come along who wants to live and doesn’t want to die, who wants to be happy and recoils from pain. Then two strong men would grab them by the arms and drag them towards the pit of glowing coals. What do you think, householder? Wouldn’t that person writhe and struggle to and fro?” “Yes, sir. Why is that? For that person knows: ‘If I fall in that pit of glowing coals, that’d result in my death or deadly pain.’”
In the same way, a noble disciple reflects: ‘With the simile of the pit of glowing coals the Buddha said that sensual pleasures give little gratification and much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks.’

12 Likes

Beyond Fear — Arahant

They dwell in bliss for they are safe
And reach Nibbāna here and now.
They are beyond all fear and hate;
They have escaped all suffering.
(MN 130)

11 Likes

Stream entrants are ‘beyond fear’, too. :wheel_of_dharma:

With metta

Do you have a sutta quote for that?
They still have attachment and aversion, and attachment comes with the fear of losing the object you are attached to.

3 Likes

Pañca, gahapati, bhayāni verāni appahāya ‘dussÄ«lo’ iti vuccati, nirayañca upapajjati. Katamāni pañca? AN5.174 SuttaCentral

Ven Sujato translates bhayāni as danger. Ven Thanissaro translates it as fear. There is a subjective-objective difference here, as in if someone fears that which is a danger or threat to them. Incidentally the sutta is about stream entrants!

Also you might remember the sutta SN13.8 where the Buddha says the amount of suffering left for a stream entrant is infinitely small. This means the fear of samsaric wandering is finally over, for all purposes.

It is true however the fear is finally removed when becoming an arahanth, as it is closely connected to ignorance (avijja), but will get less when attachment and aversionsa are less in once-returner and non- returner states. There’s a story where a teacher who mistakenly thought he was an arahanth was jolted into reality by a student (who was an arahanth, with psychic abilities) generating a fierce elephant rampaging down at him which caused him/her? to be afraid.
:grin:.

With metta

1 Like

Sure, stream-enterers have lessened fear, but as you now say, they haven’t fully overcome it.

Your sutta quote is not necessarily about stream-enterers. It just says that people who keep the five precepts are ethical people and will be reborn in heaven. It also talks about “five fears”, not all fears.

:peace_symbol:

4 Likes

I just got the most amazing gift. Someone else also had the idea to make crochet monastics! :open_mouth::smiley::joy:

crochet%20monastic_small

14 Likes

Looks like Ajahn Brahm! Probably due to it’s glasses and “roundness!”

:grin:

7 Likes

Bravery
(Facing one’s defilements)

AN 4.13

“Mendicants, there are these four right efforts. What four?

They generate enthusiasm, try, make an effort, exert the mind, and strive so that bad, unskillful qualities that have arisen are given up. 

17 Likes

Oh my goodness! When did Mara grow an afro?! I was already quite fond of how demons are handled in the EBT, but this depiction takes things to a new level!

Okay, seriously now, much thanks for these ever glorious Dhamma lessons.

8 Likes

You crack me up! Thank you for the belly laughs!
:rofl:

7 Likes