Draft translation of the Dhammacakka

Following on from the discussion of my translation project, I thought it might be nice to seek some feedback as to how to go about translating. A few days ago I made a quick translation of the Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta, and now I’ve tidied that up a little and present it here.

It is an example of the approach I am working on, to try to make the renderings more explicit and comprehensible. For example, where Bhikkhu Bodhi has

the Tathagata has awakened to the middle way

I have

woke up by understanding the middle way

because we don’t really use “awakened to” in that way. (Also notice that he renders the same root “bodhi” as “enlightened” in the same sentence; I keep both as “awakening”.)

I have also left out most of the repetitions. This is the number one issue that people mention when they say that reading the suttas is hard: repetitions. Saying the same thing over and over again. And then repeating yourself. And covering old ground in the same way…

Repetition is great in recitation; in fact when chanting you have exactly the opposite emotional response to repetition than you do when reading. When you read, repetitions create grit, resistance, boredom; but when reciting, they create space, ease, a chance to relax and reflect. So we can reproduce the linguistic structure if we like; but at the expense of creating a very different emotional context.

I’ve also used some more modern vocabulary; “galaxy” is the actual word we use in English for a whole bunch of stars, not “world-system”.

Anyway, see if you like, and give me some feedback!

##SN56.11 The Rolling Forth of the Wheel of the Dhamma

At one time the Buddha was staying at Benares, in the Deer Park at Isipatana. There he addressed the group of five monastics:

“Monastics, these two extremes should not be practiced by one gone forth. What two? Indulgence in sensual pleasures, which is low, crass, ignorant, ignoble, and pointless; and indulgence in self-mortification, which is painful, ignoble, and pointless.

Avoiding these two extremes, the Truthful One woke up by understanding the middle way, which gives vision and knowledge, and leads to peace, to direct knowledge, to awakening, and to quenching.

And what is that middle way? It is this noble eightfold path; that is:

1. right view,
  2. right motivation,
  3. right speech,
  4. right action,
  5. right livelihood,
  6. right effort,
  7. right mindfulness,
  8. right samādhi.

The Truthful One woke up by understanding this middle way, which gives vision and knowledge, and leads to peace, to direct knowledge, to awakening, and to quenching.

This is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, old age is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering, being close to those you dislike is suffering, being separated from those you love is suffering, not getting what you want is suffering. To sum up, the five grasping aggregates are suffering.

This is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: the craving that leads to another life, bound up with relishing and desire, which finds pleasure in this or that state of existence; that is, desire for sensual pleasures, desire to be reborn, and desire for annihilation.

This is the noble truth of the ending of suffering: the complete fading away and ending of that very same craving; giving up, letting go, release, and non-attachment.

This is the noble truth of the practice leading to the ending of suffering: it is this noble eightfold path; that is:

1. right view,
  2. right motivation,
  3. right speech,
  4. right action,
  5. right livelihood,
  6. right effort,
  7. right mindfulness,
  8. right samādhi.

‘This is the noble truth of suffering’: vision arose, knowledge arose, understanding arose, realization arose, light arose, regarding these principles that were not learned from another.
‘This noble truth is that suffering should be fully known’ …
‘This noble truth is that suffering has been fully known’ …

‘This is the noble truth of the origin of suffering’ …
‘This noble truth is that the origin of suffering should be abandoned’ …
‘This noble truth is that the origin of suffering has been abandoned’ …

‘This is the noble truth of the ending of suffering’ …
‘This noble truth is that the ending of suffering should be witnessed’ …
‘This noble truth is that the ending of suffering has been witnessed’ …

‘This is the noble truth of the practice leading to the ending of suffering’ …
‘This noble truth is that the practice leading to the ending of suffering should be developed’ …
‘This noble truth is that the practice leading to the ending of suffering has been developed’: vision arose, knowledge arose, understanding arose, realization arose, light arose, regarding these principles that were not learned from another.

As long as my verified knowledge and vision was not completely clear regarding these four noble truths, with their three rounds and twelve aspects, I did not declare that I had woken up in this world with its gods, Māras, and Brahmas, with its ascetics and priests, in this population with its princes and people.

But when my verified knowledge and vision was completely clear regarding these four noble truths, with their three rounds and twelve aspects, then I declared that I had woken up in this world with its gods, Māras, and Brahmas, with its ascetics and priests, in this population with its princes and people.

Knowledge and vision arose in me: ‘My liberation is unshakeable; this is my final birth; now there are no future lives.’”

This is what the Buddha said. Glad at heart, the group of five monastics were pleased with what he said.

And as this explanation was being spoken, the stainless, immaculate vision of the Dhamma arose in Venerable Koṇḍañña: “Whatever has a beginning, all that must have an end.”

When the Wheel of Dhamma was set rolling forth by the Buddha, the Earth Gods sent forth this cry: “In Benares, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Buddha has set rolling forth the Wheel of the Dhamma, which cannot be stopped by any ascetic or priest or god or Māra or Brahma or by anyone in the world.”

Hearing the cry of the Earth Gods, the Gods of the Four Great Kings sent forth the same cry. Hearing the cry of the Gods of the Four Great Kings, the Gods of the Thirty-Three… the Yāma gods … the Tusita gods … the Gods who Enjoy Creating … the Gods who Enjoy the Creations of Others … the Gods of Brahma’s retinue sent forth this cry: “In Benares, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Buddha has set rolling forth the Wheel of the Dhamma, which cannot be stopped by any ascetic or priest or god or Māra or Brahma or by anyone in the world.”

At that moment, in that instant, the sound soared up to the Brahma realm. And this galaxy shook and rocked and quaked; and an infinite, beautiful light appeared in the world, surpassing the glory of the gods.

And the Buddha was inspired to say this: “Koṇḍañña understands! Koṇḍañña understands!” That is how Venerable Koṇḍañña got the name “Koṇḍañña who Understands”.

7 Likes

Dear Bhante

Wonderful!

Might you be open to translating ariyasaccaṃ as Reality (seen by the) Noble Ones? I’m following up on Harvey’s suggestion that this might be more in line with the suggestion that “duk­kha­sa­muda­yaṃ ariyasaccaṃ pahātabban” (pahātabba being the future passive participle of pajahati) might make more sense that one should abandon a phenomenon, rather than a truth.

With metta

S

:pray:

Dear Bhante,

For the lack of words, wonderful translation, Bhante! Excellent! :heart_eyes: Very easy to read and concise rendering.

I really like your translation of sammā sankappa as right motivation - makes sense to me as right motivation comes from practicing and having right view in line with the Dhamma.

Another one I like is this portion:

The italicized and bold area used to confound me as when I first read the Dhammacakkapavattana sutta, I found it this way " three-round, twelve-permutation" which left me scratching my head and asking what did they really mean by that (but then again I wasn’t really a math type of person)?

Another one I like:

Knowledge and vision arose in me: ‘My liberation is unshakeable;

My first encounter of this was " Unprovoked is my release". It just didn’t sound right to me as from my understanding, the Bhagava was very deliberate in trying to find the solution to suffering and attaining liberation.

I’m going to use your translation to read to my only child since I believe he’ll be able to understand it now with your rendering (he’s 4 yrs old) :smile: I have feeling he’ll love this since he has a strong inclination towards the Bhagava.

Kataññuta.

with respect, reverence, and gratitude,
russ

2 Likes

Dear Bhante,

I have a couple questions to ask (all due to the inspiration from your new translation of the Dhammacakkapavattana sutta)

1. I’ve found that depending on the translations, it is either "akuppā me vimutti" or "akuppā me ceto vimutti". I found it also the same in chanting. Would you know the reasoning for this?

2. with regards to chanting. How does one find the right way to chant? I usually chant during uposatha days.

I find that some chanting style are too fast, too dry, no pauses, and monotone for me and I just can’t bear to chant that way (it doesn’t seem to bring up inspiration and energy rather makes me sleepy :expressionless: ). The Buddha did warn about a person getting caught up in the way they sound when chanting and deviates from the purpose of drawing inspiration.

However, I find it that when I chant with feeling (not being monotone or being fancy but with devotion), I feel inspired and energy is aroused and I can finish the chanting :relieved: . Is this a good way to approach chanting?

with reverence, respect, and gratitude,
russ

It’s a curious bit of syntax, there’s no doubt. It’s one of those cases where the meaning is clear enough, but the exact linguistic parsing is hard to capture. truth, reality: I’m not sure that one or the other is better to abandon.

Of course, what is abandoned is craving; but the truth is that craving gives rise to suffering. I have revised the translation to adjust this, and a few other things as well.

1 Like

1 i cannot judge from the knowledge of Pali, however i don’t think ‘awakening to something’ is the same as ‘awakening by understanding of something

in the first case it’s awakening to something which didn’t exist before but was discovered through awakening and constitutes its very subject
and i guess that’s what sets the Tathagata apart from an arahant

in the second case it’s an insight into something which theoretical knowledge of was available previously, but not direct knowledge, which was simply used as a tool to become awakened, and so no discovery occurred and nothing novel was introduced into the world, which makes the story of the Buddha’s awakening a much less groundbreaking event than it’s described in the suttas, it turns into a story of an arahant and not Tathagata

which one that is of course hinges on the Pali text

2 in the enumeration of the Noble Eightfold Path factors samadhi is kind of unnecessarily bulging being a Pali term unlike the rest of them

for the sake of style and consistency maybe it would be better to still have it interpreted with an English word

1 Like

Not really, it’s just a variant reading, I haven’t investigated this one.

I think you have answered your own question! For me the best chanting is that by Dhamma Ruwan; it is melodic, beautiful, full of feeling, and follows the cadence of the language. Try chanting along with him.

2 Likes

Okay, from now on that is going to be my gold standard: will a 4 year old understand it?

3 Likes

Dear Bhante Sujato,

Before I ask my questions I would like to express my deepest gratitude for your wonderful books: “White Bones Red Rot Black Snakes” and “Bikkhuni Vinaya Studies”!

Now to my questions related to your translation of SN56.11.
“Monastics, these two extremes should not be practised by one gone forth. What two? The indulgence in sensual pleasures, which is low, vulgar, ignorant, ignoble, and pointless, and the indulgence in self-mortification, which is painful, ignoble, and pointless.
What is meant here by “sensual pleasures”? Does it refer to any pleasure we get from the five senses? If yes, I have a problem with the word “vulgar”. Could you please explain the Pali word behind it and why you wish to translate it as “vulgar”.

Thank you!
With much metta and much gratitude,
Rudite

1 Like

I’m not sure that that is what being awakened to means, but in any case it’s certainly not what the Pali means. Perhaps the problem is simply that it is such an obscure English idiom that the usage is kind of vague.

Which is exactly what awakening us. There is nothing new in the world, you have just realized deeply what you already knew. Hey, we all know that craving leads to suffering, right? Awakening is where it gets real.

Suggestions are welcome!

However, in every Buddhist culture they have ended up simply adopting certain Indic terms which couldn’t be readily translated. These usually include samādhi and jhāna. Perhaps nibbāna as well; in fact I think “quenching” is a pretty good translation, however it doesn’t really ring well.

1 Like

[quote=“LXNDR, post:6, topic:439”]
in the first case it’s awakening to something which didn’t exist before but was discovered through awakening and constitutes its very subject[/quote]

alright, to me though it makes perfect sense in the light of the Buddha’s description of his awakening as discovery of the causes of suffering and the Way to its cessation, at least for the present aeon, and the fact of his teaching it

all the more so as such understanding is kind of corroborated in your rendition by the phrase

regarding these principles that were not learned from another

in Ven Thanissaro’s rendition and by similar forms in versions of a few other translators

with regard to things never heard before

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.than.html

[quote=“LXNDR, post:6, topic:439”]
for the sake of style and consistency maybe it would be better to still have it interpreted with an English word[/quote]

if concentration is out of question, then, being aware of limited adequacy of any other English term, maybe one pointedness of mind, composure, absorption

samadhi is fine by itself, but mentioned as an item in a list of English terms it’s percieved alien to a degree

1 Like

Yes, and also any pleasure from memories, expectations, and the like regarding the five senses.

The Pali term is gamma, which is an abstract noun derived from gāma, meaning “village”. So it literally means “of or relating to the village”.

I’m not enamored of “vulgar”, which was used by Nyanamoli; it is a bit classist and old fashioned. I could try “bogan”, but that wouldn’t work well outside of Australia. :wink: Perhaps “crass” would be better; in fact, let me put that in there!

1 Like

This rendering is, I think, obscuring the point. The term is anussuta. suta means “heard”, of course, but idiomatically it means “learned”. But why the anu? It has the sense of “after, following, along”, and here it must mean “from another”. In other words, this is not an oral tradition passed down, it is the Buddha’s own experience.

Sorry, just as bad as “concentration”, if not worse. The Buddha describes the mind in samādhi as “vast as the ocean”, “abundant, grown great, measureless”. It could hardly be further from “one-pointed”.

This is possibly the best English rendering, but it hardly caprtures the exalted nature of samādhi. To be composed is to have it together, to not be flustered. Good things, to be sure, but a long way from samādhi.

Sometimes used as a rendering of jhāna. It’s okay, I don’t have any great problems with it. But the real meaning of jhāna is rather “illumination”.

2 Likes

Dear Bhante,

Thank you very much!!

with reverence, respect, and gratitude,
russ

Dear Bhante

For ‘samadhi’…what about the way Ajahn Brahm translates it? As ‘stillness’. Stillness can be simple but it can also become powerful and deep. Though perhaps the word doesn’t convey this potential for deepening. Hmm…yes, perhaps you’re right to leave it untranslated.

1 Like

Stillness is okay sometimes, but not really exalted enough. The only word that works for me in English would be “coalescence”. I think that is pretty good in terms of meaning, but it is not easy to make it work.

oooh…nice…like “stillness coalescing”…to coin a phrase: “the gathering stillness”.

Also, I think perhaps ‘coalescence’ also doesn’t have the sense of something exalted.

Interesting, I like the “gathering stillness”. Problem is, though, that it’s not easy to get more “purple” phrases like this working across multiple contexts. They need to be handled very carefully.

Or we could use something more down to earth like, “coming together” (props to the Beatles, of course).

1 Like

Okay first, and please may no one hold it against me, I’m pretty much musically illiterate and thus the Beatles reference just washed right through me! :confused:

Mmm…“coming together”…mmm…I dunno… It’s in the realm of not being exalted enough again…

Perhaps Bhante, leaving it untranslated, you could then use some of these terms and phrases in the notes? So giving a sense of what Samadhi might mean, or rather feel like. It seems difficult to find a phrase or word that will work well at all levels and as you say, in ‘multiple contexts’.

Are you planning to do a brief ‘introduction/write up’ about all the Pali words that will be left untranslated?

Love your work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’m all for it, at least it’s not “getting back in the USSR”

enjoy :wink:

3 Likes