Equanimity and mindfulness in the fourth jhana

Karl_lew,

Thanks for your response. I think we simply have different definitions of “equanimity”. The more I personally feel I develop it, the more I think back to a reading of Path of Purification - where Buddhaghosa essentially says this:

A person with equanimity, if faced with a murderer who demands a choice made between an enemy, a friend, and a neutral person - would not have a preference. The person with equanimity has an equal disposition to all form.

Also, it’s convienient to think of it this way because the near enemy to the sphere of infinite space is equanimity - and by dropping equanimity one approaches infinite space ie. “with the transcending of all perceptible forms, one enters and remains in the sphere of infinite space.”

• Pondera
1 Like

During climbing, one has to move with equanimity. In situations with life/death decisions as you mention I have indeed not had a preference whether I or another person is put in danger. For example, logic dictates that the heaviest person should rappel first to verify anchor safety. The lightest person should rappel last. This logic is ironclad and does not distinguish between oneself or partner. Identity view in the mountains is certain death.

2 Likes