Please report any errors or typos!

Thanks, fixed.

I won’t be making any broader changes to the Khantipalo translation. It’ll have to wait till I do my own!

1 Like

So does this win the prize for the most obscure typo…
In MN122 https://suttacentral.net/mn122/en/sujato, the word

Kāḷakhemaka

is made with a regular letter a with the unicode character for an over bar. (0304) Found this while subsetting the font for an epub.

Sorry, I can’t find this, the two instances I see have the correct character. Can you identify the exact segment for me?

By segment, do you mean suttacentral.net/mn122/en/sujato#2.2–2.3

It does indeed look fine. But if you paste it into a text editor and delete characters starting from the end, you will see the bar delete first then the letter a. Obviously this is trivial. Lots of the text of the original ebook publication of the Middle Length Discourses has this problem as they didn’t originally use a font with the Pali diacritics.

1 Like

Yes, thanks, I see it now.

Far from it, it is a serious problem. I am aware that files from other sources have improper characters, but we don’t. We have in the past checked for this and eliminated all bad characters. I have no idea how these ones slipped in.

If you can, please make a list of all improper characters, and we’ll replace them en masse.

@blake I wonder what’s going on here. The bad characters are in my translations. But I don’t even know how to input them. When writing Pali terms, I usually either use write them myself or copy from the Mahasangiti. I suppose I might have copied the name from somewhere else and pasted it in, but I’m struggling to imagine a scenario where that would happen. I’m concerned that maybe something in our text processing is substituting characters.

1 Like

Here is a file with all included characters for the four nikayas of your translations.

EbookIncludedCharacters.zip (780 Bytes)

Would love to hear any followup. I just realized that the ō was in Taishō. There may be a few others like that, but I will leave it up to you to decide.

1 Like

Okay, thank you so very much, I will sort this out with Blake and let you know if we find any reason for the stray characters.

@sujato
Bhante,
Error at: SuttaCentral 43. Overflowing Merit (3rd) 43. Tatiyaabhisandasutta:

3.1Furthermore, a mendicant is wise. They have the wisdom of arising and passing away which is noble, penetrative, and leads to the complete ending of suffering.

Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako paññavā hoti udayatthagāminiyā paññāya samannāgato ariyāya nibbedhikāya sammā dukkhakkhayagāminiyā.

Seems like the English, following your pattern, should be:

3.1Furthermore, mendicants, a noble disciple is wise. They have the wisdom of arising and passing away which is noble, penetrative, and leads to the complete ending of suffering.

:pray::pray:t3::pray:t5:

on SuttaCentral,
shouldn’t “ending of suffering” be “ending of defilement”?

Translation
If they focus solely on the basis of equanimity, it’s likely their mind won’t properly become immersed in samādhi for the ending of suffering.

Pali
Sace, bhikkhave, adhicittamanuyutto bhikkhu ekantaṃ upekkhānimittaṃyeva manasi kareyya, ṭhānaṃ taṃ cittaṃ na sammā samādhiyeyya āsavānaṃ khayāya

2 Likes

Indeed, thank you, I have fixed this.

Oh, and diverse color emojis, so good, I didn’t know we had them!

:pray:t2::pray:t4::pray:t6:

Well that’s a question that can be read philosophically as well as textually. :wink: But I’ll take it textually, and yes, it should be. Thanks for the correction, it is fixed now.

4 Likes

In MN 28, the word “mesentery” is once misspelled as “mesentry.”

Here are a couple more:

MN 7: There’s an extra paragraph break following “When they have given up these corruptions of the mind”. (It’s possible that this exists for some reason I don’t know about, but ancient languages generally don’t have paragraph breaks at all, so I’m thinking this is a typo.)

MN 22: “dedicationss”

This may already be on your radar, but when the browser window is not full width, the option to view side by side Pali-English disappears…

I am guessing that the thinking is if the window is not full width, then sided by side would not work. Couple thoughts.

1. this is a universal persistent setting, not just for the one instance
  2. in my experience, side by side still works quite well at less than 100% width. So if I want to see side by side, I have to make the window full width, change the setting, and then change back to the width I want.
2 Likes

Yeah, no, when developing I said, many times, that this dialog must be consistent and not change between views. Then this … no idea how it happened! It annoys me on a regular basis. It’ll be fixed!

4 Likes

Hi,
it seems to me that the translator of 510. Ayoghara Jātaka (PTS vp en 305) is not H.T. Francis, but W.H.D. Rouse, see here:

The same semingly is true for the rest of that volume. I did not check them all, though.

Kind regards,

Manfred

1 Like

an9.41:3.4

Renunciation is the dividing line between between the multitude and the

Also, I don’t know if this is a clever ‘fill in from somewhere else’ thing (only stopping for a sec so I haven’t looked into it at all), but an9.41:6.1-4 is untranslated.

MN 5 Unblemished

#sc 6.7: "“In the same way, take the case of the person who has a blemish and does not understand it. You can expect that … "

This is actually the section of the person who doesn’t have a blemish and does not understand it.

DN 25 “The ascetic Gotama is walking mediation”, “Well sir, I saw you walking meditation”, “a mortifier sits meditation”, “a mortifier doesn’t sit meditation”

should the word “in” be added?

Thanks

This is not so much an error, but I notice that on non-sutta pages, like the donations page, there is zero margin at the bottom of the page. The last line of text is right against the bottom edge of the browser.

The sutta pages on the site have a footer, and that may be why this is happening. In fact, most web pages now a days have footers, so this is probably why SC stands out to me. It always seems like the page scroll is stuck or that something is getting cut off. I think if you added 1 or 2 em of space at the bottom it would look more like what I’d expect at the bottom of a webpage.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a CSS bug, we should fix it.

3 Likes