Please report any errors or typos!

MN 6 One Might Wish

#sc 15.1
"A mendicant might wish: ‘With clairaudience that is purified and superhuman, may I hear both kinds of sounds, human and divine, whether near or far.’ So let them fulfill their precepts. "

The section ends with a full stop, instead of the … indicating abbreviation.

1 Like

Typo in MN79/en/sujato

“Middles Discourses 79”

This giggled my middles.

Noticed that I cannot highlight words from DD and SC on my iphone sometimes.

1 Like

I find this, and on iPad too. My workaround is to copy url into a new tab and proceed.

The recent upgrade fixed the problem with the slider on the right of threads. :smiley:

Double typo in SN 14.25

2.5those who refrain from consume alcoholic drinks that cause negligence with those who refrain from consume alcoholic drinks that cause negligence.”

*consuming

2 Likes

In AN 6.63

illness is missing

Translation
Rebirth is suffering; old age is suffering; death is suffering;
Pali
Jātipi dukkhā, jarāpi dukkhā, byādhipi dukkho, maraṇampi dukkhaṃ,

2 Likes

Suttaplex card to MN 69:

“A monk comes down to the community for the wilderness, but doesn’t behave properly.”

I guess this should read from the wilderness.

3 Likes

MN 10 Mindfulness Meditation

SC 33.1: “They meditate observing the body as liable to originate, as liable to vanish, and as liable to both originate and vanish.”

Should be “feelings”.

1 Like

Here SuttaCentral the fourth item has been broken into two so there are five items in the list.

This reminds me of a concern I had about numbering lists this way. It feels like using the automatic numbering in html is not a very stable solution. Especially when we think about text being used in a variety of ways in the future.

There are of coures some advantages to doing it in html. For example you could css away the numbers but the text would still present as a list.

1 Like

Bhante,
I still see in SuttaCentral some “āsavānaṃ khayāya” translated as “ending of suffering”.

It’s not a typo, but potentially a typo order of amendment put forward for consideration:

AN4.91:

And how is a person a demon accompanied by demons? It’s when a person is unethical, of bad character, and their following is the same. That’s how a person is a demon accompanied by demons.

At first reading, I was really unsure what “following” meant here and my best guess was that it pertained to the religion they followed. I looked up Bodhi’s rendition and his “retinue” cleared it all up and then “following” made total sense, but I wonder if “followers” would be even clearer?

1 Like

“following” would include those inclined to but not actually currently following as evangelist. Literally as in “following on FaceBook”.

1 Like

At Snp 4.15 by Mills,
the last verse contain unfamiliar word “Mong”, and lack end quote (')

A sage speaks not as though
’Mong equal, low or high,
Serene, devoid of avarice,
Does not accept or reject.

As far as I can tell, this is short for “Among”. The ’ is not a quote mark, but an apostrophe that stands for abbreviating part of a word.

4 Likes

I agree, but think the M might be better as “m” since the contraction is for “Among” ?

1 Like

It seems they just start every new line with a capital. Is that normal usage for verse in English?

It’s a convention used sometimes. We should keep it here since it’s the source.

I did this in my older verse translation, but now I capitalize and punctuate verse exactly like prose.

2 Likes

AN 4.192, SC 3.4:

That’s why I said that you can get know a person’s ethics by living with them. But only after a long time, not a short time; only when paying attention, not when inattentive; and only by the wise, not the witless.

Should be ‘get to know’.

SC 5.5:

That’s why I said that you can get know a person’s purity by dealing with them. …

Also ‘get to know’.

SC 7.5:

That’s why I said that you can know a person’s resilience in times of trouble. …

It seems ‘get to’ is lacking here.

Some more:

SuttaCentral link “SC 2” points to “SC 1”

SuttaCentral “(Identical with 12:44.).” Link does not work.

Same here: SuttaCentral

SuttaCentral does not mention the three kinds of immersion after the colon. Davids does. Same for next para.

“(Suffering) If the latter statement (2) cannot” should be “(iii) If the latter statement (2) cannot” … This occurs several times, e.g. SuttaCentral

SuttaCentral "Theravādin: —Does the person transmigrate from this world, etc.? Here the em-dash is unnecessary.

SuttaCentral “Here a certain person is a destroyer of Life, taker of things not given, misbehaving in sensual desires, bar,” should be “Here a certain person is a destroyer of Life, taker of things not given, misbehaving in sensual desires, liar,”

SuttaCentral : “where he ought t o :” should be “where he ought to:”

Cheers,

Manfred

1 Like

MN 93 in SC 18.13 has “rahmin” instead of “brahmin”