Please report any errors or typos!

Thanks, fixed.

1 Like

an3.156-162: one use of ā€œblisteringā€ instead of ā€œscorchingā€ as translation for nijjhāmā

Should ā€˜thisā€™ be ā€˜theseā€™ in the following verse???

"People now are seen and heard

and this are called by name,
but alone will the name remain
in speaking of those goneā€¦" - Jarā Sutta

Itā€™s these and those isnā€™t it not, this and those? The verse is talking about people not things.

1 Like

DN 3, SC 17
For fear of diluting their lineage, they are sleeping with their own (saka) sisters.

Does this parenthetical saka belong here?

DN 4, SC 8
You recite and remember the hymns, and are have mastered the three Vedas

have

1 Like

Hello,

There is a small typo in the Dhammapada translation by Buddharakkhita Thera, in the Affection chapter, the 7th verse in that chapter:

From lust springs grief, from lust springs fear. For one who is wholly free from craving there is no grief; whence then fear?

The word lust should be substituted for craving here.

In Ven. Sujatoā€™s translation of DN 31, in the section regarding the five duties of a parent to a child, only four are listed. Arranging a suitable marriage is omitted.

Parents served by the children in these five ways show compassion to them in five ways. They keep them from doing bad. They support them in doing good. They train them in a profession. They transfer the inheritance in due time. Parents served by their children in these five ways show compassion to them in these five ways

1 Like

MN 25 #SC 5.16
ā€œWe wonā€™t become indulgent, then we wonā€™t became negligent, and then we wonā€™t be vulnerable to the trapper on account of that bait.ā€

ā€¦ then we wonā€™t become negligent ā€¦

Again at # SC 6.28, SC 10.16, and SC 11.28.

Already fixed :slightly_smiling_face:. See the staging server: SuttaCentral

2 Likes

DN 5, SC 88
When someone with confident heart goes for refuge to the Buddha, the teaching, and the Saį¹…gha.

Elsewhere in the sutta (SC 98) brahmin KÅ«į¹­adanta goes for refuge to the ā€œmendicant Saį¹…gha.ā€ Is the difference between SC 88 and SC 98 intentional?

1 Like

DN 17, blurb
An elaborate story of a past life of the Buddha as a legendary king how renounced all to practice meditation.

who (?)

2 Likes

MN 26, SC 15.23
Reverend Kālāma, have you realized this teaching with your own insight up to this point, and declare it having achieved it?

ā€¦ and declare having achieved it?ā€”Remove one it.

At SC 16.23 the same for Rama.

3 Likes

or add a comma: ā€œdeclare it, having achieved it.ā€

3 Likes

All three versions sound correct to me :thinking:

2 Likes

This conforms to what is found in other places of this sutta.

2 Likes

In An 7.50 (german) there is a typo: ā€œKeuchheitswandelā€ instead of ā€œKeuschheitswandelā€. This typo seems to occur only once. update: it occurs already in the database at palikanon.com (which has the same translation, but differs in numbering: it is ā€œAN 7.47ā€ there), and only once.

This lets make me the suggestion to run a word-statistics program over, say, the german database and check any miswritten word by the frequency/occurence table (I've done things like this sometimes in my job and for finding obvious typos/false links in the palicanon.com-database)
5 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: MN44 understanding the 3 types of feeling

Bhante @sujato this is not an error or typo. But a clarification to the reader.
MN48
I suggest inserting ā€œrightā€ for the clarification. You find this in other translations.

=========

ā€˜Do I have the same nature as a person accomplished in (right) view?ā€™ And what, mendicants, is the nature of a person accomplished in (right) view?

It might be redundant to insert ā€œrightā€ given that being ā€œaccomplished in wrong viewā€ would be such a contortion as to not make sense to most people.

MN 80 With Vekhanasa
7th paragraph "Such is the splendor of the self that is sound after death.ā€
Should this read ā€œfound after deathā€

1 Like

MN66

======

Ven @sujato translation.

Take a mendicant who, going totally beyond the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, enters and remains in the cessation of perception and feeling. That goes beyond it.
Idhudāyi, bhikkhu sabbaso nevasaƱƱānāsaƱƱāyatanaį¹ƒ samatikkamma saƱƱāvedayitanirodhaį¹ƒ upasampajja viharati, ayaį¹ƒ tassa samatikkamo;
So, Udāyī, I even recommend giving up the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception.
iti kho ahaį¹ƒ, udāyi, nevasaƱƱānāsaƱƱāyatanassapi pahānaį¹ƒ vadāmi.

=====
I.B.Horner translation.

As to this, Udāyin, a monk, by wholly transcending the plane of neither-perception-nor-non-perception, enters on and abides in the stopping of perception and feeling. This is its transcending. It is for this that I, Udāyin, speak even of the getting rid of the plane of neither-perception-nor non-perception.

===========

Honer translation make more sense.