Please report any errors or typos!

3 posts were split to a new topic: Translation of

A post was merged into an existing topic: Translation of SN22.100 Gaddula Sutta The Leash

Yes, the phrasing is a bit awkward. The first ā€œapproveā€ needs to stand, because it is the part of the standard expression I use in Sanghakammas throughout my translation. I could, however, change ā€œapprovingā€. I will consider it.

This is the official approval to build given by the Sangha. Prior to this one or more monks, ideally the whole Sangha, must have inspected the site.

2 Likes

In DN 9, the sentence ā€œTassa yā purimā rÅ«pasaƱƱā, sā nirujjhatiā€ is translated as ā€œThe perception of luminous form that they had previously ceases.ā€

If this isnā€™t a typo, Iā€™m curious as to how the adjective ā€œluminousā€ comes into this translation.

:pray:

AN 4.10:

And what is detachment from views? Itā€™s when you donā€™t truly understand viewsā€™ origin, ending, gratification, drawback, and escape. So lust, delight, affection, infatuation, thirst, passion, attachment, and craving for views linger on inside. This is called detachment from views. Such is detachment from sensual pleasures, future lives, and views.

What a strange definition of detachment from viewsā€¦ :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This should be ā€˜do truly understandā€¦ā€™, right? :grin:. I canā€™t highlight to copy and paste SC, on my iPhone.

1 Like

Yes, and also ā€œdonā€™t linger on insideā€.

1 Like

missing a 1. in title
3_%20Pu%E1%B9%87%E1%B9%87%C4%81%E2%80%94Bhikkhu%20Sujato

https://suttacentral.net/mn113/en/sujato#sc6
Not sure if this matters, but the following contains elisions that are not in parallel with the othersā€¦

Furthermore, take a bad person who is very learned ā€¦
an expert in the texts on monastic training ā€¦
a Dhamma teacher ā€¦
who dwells in the wilderness ā€¦
who is a rag robe wearer ā€¦
who eats only alms-food ā€¦
who stays at the root of a tree ā€¦

I think it should be

who is an expert in the texts on monastic training ā€¦
who is a Dhamma teacher ā€¦

Or you could cut it back to the ā€œwhoā€ in all elisions.

1 Like

SN 12.12 Phagguna of the Top-Knot

#SC 2.2

ā€œBut sir, who consumes the fuel for consciousness?ā€
ā€œko nu kho, bhante, viƱƱāį¹‡Ähāraį¹ƒ āhāretÄ«ā€ti?

Shouldnā€™t this be the fuel of consciousness (i.e. who consumes consciousness as fuel)?

2 Likes

Edited out to avoid confusion :grin::smile:

1 Like

Really? Strangeā€¦ but thank you for explaining!

So again, to really get it right: If I want to know who is the person who is consuming consciousness as their food (fuel); the person who is feeding on consciousness, who is ā€œeatingā€ consciousnessā€”then I have to ask, ā€œwho consumes the fuel for consciousnessā€??

I would actually understand the fuel for consciousness to be what consciousness itself consumes as fuelā€¦ (In the context of dependent origination, this would be choices.)

In this case Iā€™d better cross out my reply too. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I had a look at the source and it appears you were right, - just goes to show context is everything :smiley:

ā€˜Consciousness is a fuel that conditions rebirth into a new state of existence in the future.ā€™

The above statement/quote from SN12.12 would mean that consciousness IS/generates the fuel.
In which case your suggestion ā€œofā€ would be the correct interpretation.
Hmmm, will leave it to others more skilled :slight_smile: :rofl:
Sorry for the confusionā€¦

1 Like

No worries! :joy: At first I always think I feel confused because of lack of knowledge in English, but in this case I am not the only one to be confusedā€¦ :grinning:

We should leave this up to the translator to decide.

1 Like

I do love your use of ā€˜No Worriesā€™ - spoken like a true Australian :sweat_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

What do you think where I have learned this? :australia:

1 Like

Another way could be: ā€œWho consumes the fuel ā€˜consciousnessā€™?ā€

1 Like

Hmm. Per DN33 the fuel for consciousness is four-fold:

Four bases for consciousness to remain. As long as consciousness remains, it remains involved with form, supported by form, founded on form. And with a sprinkle of relishing, it grows, increases, and matures. Or consciousness remains involved with feeling ā€¦ Or consciousness remains involved with perception ā€¦ Or as long as consciousness remains, it remains involved with choices, supported by choices, grounded on choices. And with a sprinkle of relishing, it grows, increases, and matures.

Consciousness is also a fuel for itself per MN143:

there shall be no consciousness of mine dependent on consciousness.

Iā€™d say that the self-referential nature of consciousness automatically allows either ā€œforā€ or ā€œofā€.

1 Like

This is a translation question regarding valāhaka deva.
In AN 5.197 and the suttas of SN 32 both Ajahn @sujato and B.Bodhi translate as ā€˜gods of the rain-cloudsā€™ or ā€˜rain-cloud devasā€™. Yet, we encounter the same expression in other suttas in which both translators apparently choose ā€˜devaā€™ to mean ā€˜rain cloudā€™, even though valāhaka already means cloud
SN 2.29, SN 22.102, SN 45.147, AN 3.94, AN 10.15, MN 46, MN 79-80, DN 17.

It seems it would be more consistent to choose either way, either as clouds or as Devas? The SN 32 suttas make it difficult though to argue for clouds-only, because they mention a rebirth as a valāhaka deva. How would passages like SN 2.29 etc. look like if you translated as ā€˜gods of the cloudsā€™? E.g. ā€œSuppose that after the rainy season the sky was clear and devoid of the cloud godsā€?

When the Buddha became fully extinguished, Sakka, lord of gods, recited this verse:
Parinibbute bhagavati saha parinibbānā brahmāsahampati imaį¹ƒ gāthaį¹ƒ abhāsi:

ā€œAll creatures in this world
ā€œSabbeva nikkhipissanti,

In the stanza above(DN16.36), it should be Brahmasahampati who recited the verse

1 Like