Who teaches according to the EBTs in the US?

I do not think Ven T is qualified for this. He expresses his own views.
I have great respect for Ven. T. I think he has done a remarkable job by translating many Sutta and I rely on his work for my research.

I think someone wrote about this recently, that he changed since then and now follows the suttas much more instead.

2 Likes

This is the case, his book mentioned was actually is PHD thesis from decades ago. It includes infro from the suttas, commentary, and visuddhimaga.

6 Likes

I have settled down with Venerable Katukurunde Knananda. His site is seeingthroughthenet.net. You have to read his Nibbana Series and DO series to get a feel of what he teaches.
With Metta

4 Likes

Yes, I’m quite familiar with Venerable Nanananda. I’ve read his DO series and have studied the Nibbana Sermons several times, as well as all good other English publications. It would be a dream come true to study with him. But he lives in Sri Lanka and, as I understand it, does not teach often anymore or offer personal guidance.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. He is very old now. I too have never met him but I understand that he is having a chronic type of asthma. If you are not already aware, Ven Analayo has started a weekly lecture serious on the Nibbana Serious.
Here is the link if you are interested.
https://www.bcbsdharma.org/analayo_lectures?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17OBA%20Welcome&utm_content=17OBA%20Welcome+CID_60c31b119ee26f992c9de85df2059408&utm_source=BCBS%20CM&utm_term=httpswwwbcbsdharmaorganalayo_lectures

With Metta

1 Like

I have listened to all his Nibbana sermon.
He also objectify Nibbana.
However, I recommend his talks.

Yes, thank you for the link, Nimal. I am enrolled in that course and have been following the weekly lectures since it started in April.

Those links require enrollment username and password.

For the rest of us not “enrolled”, that stuff apparently won’t be available until later this month or in August, according to the public information:
https://www.bcbsdharma.org/resources/bhikkhu-analayo-lectures/

2 Likes

Ven. Jayasara, do you know why Bhavana society still has a link to his Thesis “jhanas” on its website (it points to ATI which has a free html digital version of that book). This is awfully confusing for people who read his earlier views (based on Abhdihamma and Vism.), and his current views on jhana (which is very EBT compliant).

Not everyone reads what you read into his writings – this exaggerated emphasis on compliance with “EBT” in a rather dogmatic sense.

[quote=“frankk, post:16, topic:5957, full:true”]

http://www.forestdhamma.org/contact/
They’re disciples of Ajahn Maha Boowa, who wrote most of the biographical books about Ajahn Mun and his disciples that are available.[/quote]

Where can one find those books? (I couldn’t find them at that website – maybe missed them.)

Than-Geoff (Thanissaro Bhikkhu) hasn’t written biographical books (other than translating Ajaan Lee’s Autobiography), but has translated a long list of books (below) of the teachings of many of the Ajaan-s of the Thai Forest Tradition .

He also presented 3-1/2 hours of talks on the “The Thai Forest Masters
about two years ago; down-loadable at:
http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/16/
The Thai Forest Masters (Series) Date: 2015-09-19 Length: 3:25:09
He notes in those talks that “Wilderness” would be a better translation for “Forest”.

All these books (TG’s translations from the Thai) can be found, for download in multiple formats, at: http://www.dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html

Things as They Are: A Collection of Talks on the Training of the Mind,
by Venerable Ācariya Mahā Boowa

Straight from the Heart: Thirteen Talks on the Practice of Meditation,
by Venerable Ācariya Mahā Boowa

Starting Out Small: A Collection of Talks for Beginning Meditators,
by Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo

A Heart Released: The Teachings of Phra Ajaan Mun

The Heightened Mind: Dhamma Talks of Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo

The Autobiography of Phra Ajaan Lee

The Skill of Release: Teachings of Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo,

Basic Themes: Four Treatises on Buddhist Practice,
by Phra Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo

Fistful of Sand & The Light of Discernment: Teachings of Phra Ajaan Suwat Suvaco

Keeping the Breath in Mind & Lessons in Samadhi,
by Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo.

Food for Thought: Eighteen Talks on the Training of the Heart,
by Phra Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo

Inner Strength & Parting Gifts: Talks by Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo

Frames of Reference,
by Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo

Awareness Itself,
by Ajaan Fuang Jotiko

Gifts He Left Behind: The Dhamma Legacy of Phra Ajaan Dune Atulo

Still Flowing Water: Eight Dhamma Talks, by Venerable Ajahn Chah

In Simple Terms: 108 Dhamma Similes, by Venerable Ajahn Chah

Other Teachings by Thai Ajaans.
A number of translations by Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu in .pdf format of teachings by well-respected Ajaans of the Thai Forest Tradition: Chao Khun Nararatana, Phra Ajaan Thate, Phra Ajaan Khamdee, Phra Ajaan Phut, and Phra Ajaan Fuang

1 Like

EBT - necessary, but not sufficient.

2 Likes

It’s under books/english:
http://www.forestdhamma.org/books/english/

websites like abhayagiri, and probably all the ajahn chah branches since they seem to be using the same web platform, should have all of those books too, they’ll just be harder to find since you have to know what you’re looking for among the huge book selection they have.

I wrote:

This is awfully confusing for people who read [bhante G’s] earlier views (based on Abhdihamma and Vism.), and his current views on jhana (which is very EBT compliant).

cjmacie responded:

Not everyone reads what you read into his writings – this exaggerated emphasis on compliance with “EBT” in a rather dogmatic sense.

The perception of dogmatic is in the reader. Over the months, I’ve posted copious amounts of scripture and book passages detailing what they said and how I interpreted what they said, and what I mean when I say by “EBT compliant.” If there is a better label to use, I’ll be happy to use it, although I won’t sacrifice clarity of meaning for the sake of political correctness, if the alternatives to “EBT compliant” are long wishy washy sounding euphemisms.

I had hoped for some simple replies with brief descriptions and hoped to avoid argumentation, but maybe that’s just the nature of forums. I’ll explore other avenues to find my answers.

Sincere thank you to those who offered genuine advice and refrained from debating.

4 Likes

I doubt this is possible because this would result in the idea of ‘EBT teachers’ being a uniform & undiverse phenomena; similar to ‘fundamentalism’. :seedling:

2 Likes

This will be confusing only if you accept what others tell you without proper investigation.
If your realise this from your own practice, there is no confusion.
If you are confused you are on the right path, as far as you know that you are confused.

Much of Santikaro’s teaching seems based on the suttas. He was Buddhadasa’s Bhikkhu’s senior student and translator. If you don’t know about it, here’s the website for the center. But he probably doens’t fulfill all your categories.

Shaila Catherine teaches in line with the suttas but also a la Pau Auk and the Visuddhimagga (she knows both quite well). Gil Fronsdale in CA (Insight Meditation Center, Sati Center for Buddhist Studies, Insigt Retreat Center) is another possibility though again, probably neither of these fulfill all your criteria.

As for someone like Ven Analayo, I’m sure you know he does teach some retreats and study courses in the US. Highly recommend sitting with him if at all possible. Also, as for retreats, it’s also well worth sitting with Ajahan Sucitto.

4 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions, Linda. They are all excellent.

I am acquainted with Santikaro, having done a two-week retreat with him and Leigh Brasington in 2013 (Leigh would be another good suggestion). He’s a very skilled and experienced teacher, and it was wonderful having those two teachers, who are so well-versed in the suttas, teach together. I haven’t been to Liberation Park before, but I did donate for its construction, so I received a nice pamphlet with the blueprints and description.

I have enjoyed many of Ajahn Sucitto’s writings, and I subscribe to his blog. But from the Teaching Engagements page on his website, it looks like he is only teaching daylong retreats. Do you know if he teaches longer retreats?

I would very much like to study/practice with Ven. Analayo. But it looks to me like his retreats usually include a lay teacher who does the interviews instead of Ven. Analayo. Do you happen to know if this is true?