2 questions about Suññatā please

I had a look at DN13, it seems like the Buddha repeatedly questions the existence of Brahma. So taken as a whole, this sutta appears to be a critique of Brahmin beliefs, rather than an endorsement.

I am not sure that you are right; After Gotama Buddha shows Vāseṭṭha that those brahmans never really see Brahma and that their talk is a foolish talk, He says:

Ayampi kho, vāseṭṭha, brahmānaṃ sahabyatāya maggo.

Rhys Davids: ‘Verily this, Vāseṭṭha, is the way to a state of union with Brahmā.’

Sujato: This is a path to companionship with Brahmā.

Also the title show that the existence of Brahmā is not questioned

Given the overall thrust of the sutta, I assume that “companionship with Brahma” is a metaphor for Nibbana.
So the Buddha is saying to the Brahmins: “What you imagine as companionship with Brahma is really Nibbana”. And the same with the sutta title.

Clearly as a whole the suttas don’t teach a path to Brahma. Neither do they teach a union with Brahman, which would require an Atman!

1 Like

Thanks. I was a bit lazy. Sorry. Was getting really to sleep. But not everything I said. Just the About such things I said about Brahmins. It has nothing I think about emptiness. I didn’t read full. But it valuable information. About Buddhism. Check it out. Even early Indian Buddhism debate.

1 Like

My friend it’s very complicated. Like I said. Because he had compassion. He taught different ways. To tackle more people as possible. But remember your topic is about void .I did send you that the last quote of another person just asking Buddha about void. In early Buddhism. So void was another word used in early India for highest. So each group or sect used another word. And about that person Vāseṭṭha I once searched and there is later text and early text and earliest text of almost same topic. In my search this probably is one of the early version. What you share what I noticed is later texts. But some questions has meaning. If you read this sutta.

A part Buddha say to Vāseṭṭha.

“One possessing the triple knowledge,
Peaceful, with being all destroyed:
Know him thus, O Vāseṭṭha,”
“As Brahmā and Sakka for those who understand.” In Bhikkhu Bodhi translation

So there you see the early Buddhism mentality when reaching nirvana Buddha say that person AS Brahma or Sakka. He doesn’t say IS Brahma. He say to those who understand. Because it’s not understood by everyone. Because as Brahma or Sakka. Just means the highest thing in his Indian culture of his time. It’s something some considered important. But not all for spiritual life. For example Jain and Buddhism.

https://suttacentral.net/mn98/en/sujato

It was also said by Brahmins that tell him they see Buddha as Brahma. Sometimes he tell them he only accept if with they mean that he has reached perfection. But it’s clearly he did not like being compared to Brahma. Because he didn’t believe that he went in union with Brahma. Note worthy also Buddhism seems to have went to saying Union with Brahma-world to just union with Brahma. Which two different ways of saying it. But that kind of change brought confusion and questions since the beginning of Buddhism. But Brahma-world just actually meant one of the highest heaven. While makes you think it’s talking about Brahma the god. In time of Buddha. People cared more about highest heaven. So from there the meaning. But some as I quoted is more direct early Buddhism meaning again. Highest.

Another early book is Dhammapada. Good place if your starting to learn. Note this different versions from different Buddhist sect. Pali version is considered the earliest version.

Many wearing the monastic robe around their necks are wicked, unrestrained,
the wicked through their wicked deeds re-arisein the underworld.

https://suttacentral.net/dhp306-319/en/anandajoti

A.k.a fame and power monks

Like Brahmins did again and again in Buddhism.

Please stick to the Opening Topic.

This way, archiving of answers works. If each topic meanders around, there is NO WAY to find the information that is stored here :pray:

3 Likes