A Checksum For The Buddhist Spiritual End Game

Questions based on ignorance may not lead to answer that leads to nibbana:

This is how he attends unwisely: ‘Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what did I become in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I become in the future?’ Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the present thus: ‘Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where will it go?’

He attends wisely: ‘This is suffering’; he attends wisely: ‘This is the origin of suffering’; he attends wisely: ‘This is the cessation of suffering’; he attends wisely: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’ When he attends wisely in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: personality view, doubt, and adherence to rules and observances. These are called the taints that should be abandoned by seeing. MN2.

1 Like

Everything has always happened by itself though we thought we were doing it!

4 Likes

“Sitting quietly, doing nothing, Spring comes, and the grass grows, by itself.” ― Basho.

1 Like

Did Basho build bookcases?

2 Likes

Stranger things have happened :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

But don’t take this to mean you shouldn’t apply the right amount of striving to practice the Noble eightfold path.

Sona, over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence… AN6.55

2 Likes

Discovered on Basho’s bookcase:
“Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Readers come, and insight grows, by itself.” – Anon.

1 Like