A few translation contexts for anattā as not self

It seems to me that terms like “soul” and “essence” run the risk of importing into the Buddha’s teachings allusions to many fraught philosophies, theologies and debates from the western tradition that might or might not dovetail well with what the Buddha was teaching.

Since it is agreed that there is a humdrum reflexive use of “attā” to refer to oneself, and also a heightened, more metaphysically loaded use of the same term “attā” to refer to some kind of thing about which there is debate, it seems preferable to use the single English term “self” in the same polysemous way.

5 Likes

@Mat
AN 4.173 & 74 are just exposing the incoherence of a continuation of the proliferation of the mind (mano); when there is no more mano. Which is totally illogical.

In all cases:

1. With the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, there is something else,’ one proliferates that which is not to be proliferated..
  2. ‘with the remainderless fading away and cessation of the six bases for contact, there is nothing else’, one proliferates that which is not to be proliferated.
  3. with both…
    what is said in “appapañcaṃ papañceti” is that you cannot create proliferation [or speculations] with something that does not exist anymore (mano).
    Note: I have already mentioned the fact that Buddhism is the only early Indian school/doctrine (mata), that puts Mana at satta’s level. Not even Saṃkhya does it. Something worth noticing, I suppose.

So again, we are diverging to something that has nothing to do with the self; with that ludicrous and ill-interpreted “reification” construct.

To resume these suttas: “As soon as you get out the world of senses (viz. contact w/ the sense bases - of which mano is a part), there is no more papañca possible”.
Simple!

No self involved there, since there is no self, or what pertains to a self in the ajjhatikāni āyatanāni.
Buddha will also show that in the rupa and arupa loke, there is no self.
See why below.

However, positing a Self as the “ultimate Bliss” in Indian philosophy at large, is just plain evident; whatever that Self takes as a form in the pre-Buddhist Vedic litterature.

SN 55.3 & SN 22.59 consolidate that evidence.

Venerable sir, as to these six things that partake of true knowledge that have been taught by the Blessed One, these things exist in me, and I live in conformity with those things. For, venerable sir, I dwell contemplating impermanence in all formations, perceiving suffering in what is impermanent, perceiving nonself in what is suffering, perceiving abandonment, perceiving fading away, perceiving cessation.
Yeme, bhante, bhagavatā cha vijjābhāgiyā dhammā desitā, saṃvijjante dhammā mayi, ahañca tesu dhammesu sandissāmi. Ahañhi, bhante, sabbasaṅkhāresu aniccānupassī viharāmi, anicce dukkhasaññī, dukkhe anattasaññī pahānasaññī virāgasaññī nirodhasaññī.

Bhikkhus, form (feeling, etc…) is nonself. For if, bhikkhus, form were self, this form would not lead to affliction, and it would be possible to have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus; let my form not be thus.’ But because form is nonself, form leads to affliction, and it is not possible
Rūpaṃ, bhikkhave, anattā. Rūpañca hidaṃ, bhikkhave, attā abhavissa, nayidaṃ rūpaṃ ābādhāya saṃvatteyya, labbhetha ca rūpe: ‘evaṃ me rūpaṃ hotu, evaṃ me rūpaṃ mā ahosī’ti.

Does putting an abstract concept on “non-affliction” (viz. bliss,) makes a “reification” of some sort out of it?
Do you mean that “Bliss” is not real? - Are you infering that Bliss is just an abstract concept with no essence? - Just a word with no counterpart? - a vitakka with no vicāra? - A papañca determined to disappear?

Note:
As far as a “self” being in “control” in SN 22.59 is concerned, it would be good to look closer at the parallels.

SN 22.59 & its parallels:

“Bhikkhus, form is nonself. For if, bhikkhus, form were self, this form would not lead to affliction, and it would be possible to have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus; let my form not be thus.’ But because form is nonself, form leads to affliction, and it is not possible to have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus; let my form not be thus.’
SN 22.59

“Form is not self. If form were self, then sickness and suffering ought not arise regarding form and it ought not happen that one would want form to be like this and it not be like that. Form is not self because, regarding form there is sickness and there is suffering arising and it is the case that, regarding form, one wants it to be like this and it is not like that.
SA 33

“Form does not exist as a self. If form existed as a self, then form would not be associated with the arising of illness and suffering. Regarding form, it is also not possible to cause it to be like this, or not like this, because form is not oneself. From form and the arising of illness and suffering, one also grasps the desire to make form like this, or not like this. For sensation, conception, synthesis, and discrimination, it is also such as this.
SA 34

SN 22.59 > “Bhikkhus, form is nonself. For if, bhikkhus, form were self, this form would not lead to affliction

SA 33 > “Form is not self. If form were self, then sickness and suffering ought not arise regarding form

SA 34 > “Form does not exist as a self. If form existed as a self, then form would not be associated with the arising of illness and suffering.

SN 22.59 > and it would be possible to have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus; let my form not be thus.’

SA 33 > and it ought not happen that one would want form to be like this and it not be like that.

SA 34 > Regarding form, it is also not possible to cause it to be like this, or not like this, because form is not oneself.

SN 22.59 > But because form is nonself, form leads to affliction, and it is not possible to have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus; let my form not be thus.’

SA 33 > Form is not self because, regarding form there is sickness and there is suffering arising and it is the case that, regarding form, one wants it to be like this and it is not like that.

SA 34 > From form and the arising of illness and suffering, one also grasps the desire to make form like this, or not like this.

The control is impossible over the impermanent nature of the external stimulus - That is a hard fact of Buddhism.

The last sentence of SA 34 demonstrates also, that there is a desire to change that; and seems to imply that the endeavor is pathetically useless.

However, there is a line of thoughts in western “buddhism”, (particularly in the satipatthana MN 10 movement,) that we should accept this ineluctable fate. That we should live these external stimulus plainly, with no restraint - because there is no “control” possible.
But this is a perversion of Buddhism.

The reading of the EBTs substantiates the contrary. The all Nikayas are laden with Buddha’s guidance to restrain from these external khandhas (becoming internal > clinging khandhas); not to live them plainly.

So there is “control”; and that takes place in mano.
And that is the will to abandon the external influences, that might or not become internal.
The escape (nissāraṇa) is the subduing (vinayo) and abandoning (pahāna) of desire (chando) & and affection (rāgo) towards the khandhas - SN 22.82.

In other words: No control over the nature of the stimulus - but control over acquiring it or not.

P.S
Not to mention the fact that the khandhas are “not yours” (e.g. SN 22.33).
So not only the nature of these khandhas are impermanent; but the content with which your empty sense bases (ajjhatikāni āyatanāni) are going to be filled with, are “not yours”.

So we have a “mine”, that is defined as making the khandhas as clinging-khandhas - an “I”, that is defined as making the external khandhas (nāmarūpa nidana,) “ours” - and finally, a “self” that is defined as making what is impermanent, and therefore full of dukkha, something that is blissful (as per pre-Buddhist Vedic philosophy’s definition of “Self/self” - particularly the Upanishadic view of a Self/self).

In the Buddha’s time it seems speculation around atta and anatta was thought to be wrong contemplation (ayonisomanasikara- MN2). This makes sense as we would contemplate through our own ignorance and find it difficult to see past it.

The approach to this seems to be by watching the five aggregates (those qualities most likely to be mistaken as the self) arise and pass away according to the four foundations of mindfulness.

with metta

Mat

Please see the Nibbana sutta (AN 9.34). Here it is asked ‘what is the bliss where nothing is felt’? Ven Sariputta explains that it is a relative ‘bliss’. Paharada sutta calls nibbana ‘freedom’. That also can be understood in a similar vein. Nibbana is beyond adjectives, to be useful as a final release. Otherwise someone will cling to it.

with metta

Mat

1 Like

I have a feeling the Buddha did not teach anatta to people unless he knew their minds were ready. I think those who are somewhat unhinged may misuse this teaching because they don’t realize they’re not ready for it yet. Personally, I don’t think I understand it, at least not on a deep level.

3 Likes

[quote=“Mkoll, post:67, topic:4926”]
Personally, I don’t think I understand it, at least not on a deep level.
[/quote]If I had a penny for every idea of the Buddha’s that I don’t understand, I wouldn’t be able to pass through the eye of a needle, if you excuse my half-baked joke.

Too many people online have decided they are stream-enterers. Once you “decide” you are a stream-enterer, you cannot doubt and you cannot “not understand”, because then your claims of this specific interpretation of stream-entry are incoherent, so they just end up being trolls, arguing for their own idiosyncratic Dhamma that, for them, constitutes a coherent self-contained exhaustive philosophical system which can be "completely understood"by the “stream-enterer” in question.

Unfortunately other people always disagree with such a manner of forming a claim of stream-entry, which breeds massive amounts of pride and offence on the part of the stream-entry-claimant, who interprets authentic Dhamma as “attacks specifically against me, myself, my own and mine”, (to illustrate the relevance to anattā) since “they and the Buddha” utterly agree so much.

In my experience, generally, this leads to them accusing others who disagree with their idiosyncratic orthodoxy of “slandering the Buddha”, a common trolling meme on Buddhist forums.

4 Likes

There’s interesting paper by Tse-fu Kuan, “Rethinking Non-self: A New Perspective from the Ekottarika Āgama”, which addresses exactly this point. It comperes MN 35, SA 110 & EA 37.10 and concludes that:

This “invention” as found in the two similar versions of the text in question has led the Pali commentaries and contemporary scholars to interpret the “self” denied by the Buddha as what comes under mastery or control, and to understand the statement “Each of the five aggregates is not self” in the Buddhist texts as denying the idea that each of the five aggregates can be seen as what comes under control. This, however, misses the point.

The mainstream thought in India at that time conceived the “self” or the essence of the individual or of the universe as the “controller” or “autonomous entity”, and it is this concept that the Buddha controverted with all his energy. Therefore, the account in those two versions of the text apparently has some mistake. On the other hand, the Ekottarika Āgama version seems to make better sense, and may be fairly close to the original account, while the other two versions have considerably deviated from the original during the evolution of the texts alongside the sectarian development of Buddhism.

I’m really currious if @sujato or @Brahmali know this paper and what they make of it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Mat
AN 9.34 is a purely Theravadan sutta with no parallel. I’ll consider it dubious, if you don’t mind.
As far as AN 8.19 (Paharada sutta) is concerned, I have seen no “freedom” mentioned in it.

Nibbāna comes from the Sanskrit निर्वाण nirvāṇa [निर्वा nirvā [निर्वा nis-vā > √ वा vā]
It has a pretty straight meaning:
In RV., निर्वा nirvā means to put out , extinguish , allay , cool , refresh , delight.
In RV. √ वा vā means to blow (as the wind); to procure or bestow anything by blowing.
Like in Snp 5.7

Nibbāna is not “mad” [mad= heavenly bliss (RV.)] - Nibbāna is beyond mad. Beyond the bliss of the heavenly realms of the kama and rupa loke.

Now, “Is there a bliss beyond the bliss of nibbāna?”. That is a question that is not relevant to the attainment of nibbana, says Buddha. Yet Snp 5.7 demonstrates that there is what can’t be discerned - and what can’t be named.

Note: Please read the additional post scriptum in my last message in the SN 22.59 & its parallels section.

I suppose the way @Mat read AN 4.173/74 shows that he is not quite “ready”.

Yet, I often hear about this “you are not ready” from the societies’ initiates (aka the “chosen ones”). And I have the tendency to equate that to another obscurantist insignificant mimicry; namely the Bible-belt zealot’s “The Lord Said so!” - or “It Was Given By The Lord!”.
“You are not ready!” and “The Lord Said so!” - I put that on the same level.

Buddha did teach to anyone that wanted so. Under some circumstances - not under some “readiness” of mind?!?! AN 10.83

You should not underestimate yourself.

[quote=“Piotr, post:69, topic:4926”]
[quoting Tse-fu Kuan:] The mainstream thought in India at that time conceived the “self” or the essence of the individual or of the universe as the “controller” or “autonomous entity”, and it is this concept that the Buddha controverted with all his energy.
[/quote]This reminds me of the discourse of the self-doer and the other-doer. Kuan’s thesis is interesting and compelling, despite being partially based in scripture that some question the reliability of (specifically the Chinese Ekottarikāgama, which has a lot of medieval additions, some of which are demonstrably Mahāyāna).

Full disclosure, I have only read the beginning of the paper. Does Kuan addressing the self-doer and the other-doer (or, “self / other maker [of kamma?]”) of AN 6.38? The notion of a self or other “controller” is directly addressed there, and has a lot of sympathetic connections to how Kuan frames anattā in the context of the “controller self” archetype (versus the “under mastery” archetype Kuan ascribes to the interpretation of the Pāli commentaries).

The only problem this sutta brings up is that it has the Buddha claiming to have never heard [of] such a doctrine.

Now, there are several reasons why the Buddha could have said that he had never heard of such a doctrine, that don’t actually have to do with whether or not the “certain brahman” was articulating a position based in of-the-time contemporary mainstream religious philosophy, so this could be explained away, but I am wondering if Kuan addresses this in his text? Or is his paper more-so strictly textual criticism, like in the beginning, throughout and less so Buddhist philosophy?

1 Like

“My heart, thus knowing, thus seeing…” this phrase occurs many times in the suttas

My heart, thus knowing, thus seeing, was released from the fermentation of sensuality, released from the fermentation of becoming, released from the fermentation of ignorance. With release, there was the knowledge, ‘Released.’ I discerned that ‘Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.’
Bhaya-bherava Sutta: Fear & Terror

:anjal:

1 Like

[quote=“suci1, post:71, topic:4926”]
Buddha did teach to anyone that wanted so. Under some circumstances - not under some “readiness” of mind?!?![/quote]

[quote]Then the Blessed One discoursed to him a graduated sermon, that is to say, he spoke on the subjects of liberality, virtue, the heavens, on the evil consequences, the vanity and the depravity of sensual pleasures, and on the advantages of renunciation.
When the Blessed One perceived that the mind of Upāli, the householder, was prepared, pliant, free from obstacles, elevated and lucid, then he revealed to him that exalted doctrine of the Buddhas, viz. Suffering, its Cause, its Ceasing and the Path.
Just as a clean cloth, free from stain, would take the dye perfectly, even so, to Upāli, the householder, whilst seated in that place, there arose (in him) the spotless, stainless vision of Truth. He knew: Whatsoever has causally arisen must inevitably pass utterly away.’

MN 56[/quote]
And the 4NT aren’t as deep as anatta.

I’m not. Besides, underestimation is safer than overestimation. The people who go crazy are overestimating, not underestimating.

1 Like

We may add that it is also important not to cling to views regarding atta and anatta as we watch the five aggregates arise and pass away.

What kinds of textbooks do Thai, Burmese or Sri Lankan children use when they learn about Buddhism? How do those books teach about the three marks (which I assume they must at some level in the educational process)? What do they say about anattā?

I can’t read the essay, as the fonts in the PDF were not embedded.

But as for the quote above, it seems to me a dubious procedure to argue back from a philosophical principle to a textual revision. Maybe as a spark for a hypothesis, but it would require much stronger evidence to come to any conclusion.

As far as theories of self go, I don’t really see such a problem. Yes, being the “controller” was one important aspect of a self. But being a controller is meaningless unless there is that which is susceptible to control. They go together. It seems to me that the reason the focus is on the controlled is because that is what is evident and thus easier to prove. Establish that the controlled is not real, and ipso facto the controller is gone too.

3 Likes

Here’s a copy of the essay Bhante. Does this work?

2 Likes

@Mkoll

Parenthesis.

If you had read me above, you would have noticed that I consider crazy, someone who does not follow the Path, and who imagines, or fantasizes upon “mystical” things.
However, if you read Buddha, and that you are not one of those pseudo-“buddhist” nuts, that advocate like parrots in unison, that “life is a present”; or that “you should enjoy life”; then you might follow the Path correctly.
As Buddha said, if you start with wrong view, you are going to go wrong all the way.

It seems to me that on most forums, laden with the “enjoy life” faddists, we now have craziness defined by the latter, as people who don’t want to believe that “life is a present to be enjoyed”. Or again, that the ultimate insanity is be to believe in things like “heavens” - like when Buddha teaches about that in MN 56, that you’ve nicely quoted. You have to wipe this out to be “sane”. There is not a sane “buddhist” world with its brahmas and maras and humans, for the western “buddhists”. That is absolute craziness for them (unless, maybe you’ve been “initiated” under the silence oath).

Also, what @Coemgenu said above, for instance, is purely totalitarianism to me; and you liked it.
I was just bloody shocked! - That is pure fascistic stuff.
For him, anyone not having the same point of view as the “neo-saṅgha” brass, should be gotten rid of.
The people he objurgated, are certainly not part of his “Universality”, I suppose.

What’s next?
Did Buddha say that the “thing we have in common, is greater than our differences” - and that we have to preach these sorts of nonsense, in a totalitarian manner, to the rest of the world.
Well, I have definitely something in common with some nutsos - but my difference is that I am not a quisling. I don’t buy that stuff.
Also, I have not been initiated in a formal esoteric association. So I don’t have to shut up. And my Path is cleaned alright; so no problem.

I am under shock! - really - That’s the kind of moha (bewilderment) that I still endure with difficulty.
Even the powers of maras don’t baffle me like that.

Gee whiz.

Anyway, what is your point with MN 56? - Buddha teaches a guy about the path; and when the guy has completed the first steps, he goes further. That is a normal teaching process. Like first grade goes to second grade, then … blabla.

The guy does not have to have a “ready mind” ?!?

[quote=“suci1, post:79, topic:4926”]
Also, what @Coemgenu said above, for instance, is purely totalitarianism to me; and you liked it.
[/quote]I’m not really sure what your complaint is, or how anything I said would be totalitarian in any way. I was making a general observation about some of the behaviours present in internet trolling, and how those who do it generally go about justifying their behaviour (namely in this instance, claims of stream-entry, with stream-entry interpreted in some obscure way as to mean “never wrong” or something), as evidenced by their advertising of their own justifications, often.

Myself, and I believe @Mkoll as well have seen this phenomena many times on other forums, but I wouldn’t want to put words in their mouth.

My apologies if a lack of clarity on my part caused a miscommunication. Totalitarian commandments as to if someone should obey some abstract orthodoxy expounded by any group, “neo-sangha” or not, was certainly not what was intended to be read out of my text. My apologies.

1 Like

@Coemgenu
Could you give examples, so we can understand what you are effectively calling “trolls”.

Because, for me, the actual Establishment of “buddhism” is what I call trolls.
So I love when someone does not repeat like a parrot the sempiternal litany of nonsense that are going nowhere.

Also, I am pretty sure that Buddha must have appeared as a troll to its fellow Indians brahmins, at the time.

[quote=“suci1, post:81, topic:4926”]
Because, for me, the actual Establishment of “buddhism” is what I call trolls.
[/quote]I fear that we have too different a definition of what a “troll” is then for us to be talking about the same thing at all when we talk about “trolls”.

My examples were above, trolling behaviours accompanied by claims of stream entry that cannot abide critique or dissent, trolling behaviours of accusing others of slandering the Buddha constantly, unable to abide critique or dissent, etc.

Trolling behaviour, by my definitions, and the definitions of some others I certainly think, but cannot presume necessarily, is arrogant and prideful behaviour, bullying others in endless contrarian arguments and harsh speeches, questing in this for self-gratification. So I cannot think of the establishment of Buddhism as trolls under that definition.

To further contextualize, a quote that explains better what I would call “trolling behaviour”:[quote]Always desiring to be superior to others, having no patience for inferiors and belittling strangers; like a hawk, flying high above and looking down on others, and yet outwardly displaying justice, worship, wisdom, and faith — this is raising up the lowest order of good and walking the way of the Asuras.
-Śramaṇa Zhìyǐ, Mahāśamathavipaśyanā (沙門智顗, 摩訶止観 )[/quote]If you are so inclined, perhaps we could take our dialogue into private-message territory, as to not have too many off-topic posts or too involved a subdiscussion going on at the same time as the main discussion.

3 Likes