A Note from Matty Weingast on The First Free Women

Do you have a source for this? Because in his post above, Weingast is clearly saying that he only acknowledges people’s individual truths, which can only mean that he will continue referring to his poems as translations if he feels that that is his truth.

We have no indication that Weingast agrees with that. Which rather begs the question why, after 6 months, is he unable to stop this whole mess by simply saying what we all know to be true.

The Aloka nuns and Shambhala, on the other hand, have—after a massive expenditure of time and effort on our behalf—said that they accept that it is not a translation. Yet the Aloka website still calls it a translation. Shambhala website still calls it a translation. Amazon still calls it a translation. Goodreads still calls it a translation. Library of Congress still calls it a translation.

Can you not understand how frustrating this is for us? Can you not understand how difficult it is to trust people’s words when they are not backed up by actions? Do you not find yourself troubled at the mismatch between words and actions?

We left this whole issue behind months ago, satisfied with assurances that it would be fixed. We moved on, and got on with our lives. Then it was raised again by Ayya Anandabodhi’s criticism of myself and Ven Akaliko, upon which we realized that essentially nothing had been done to rectify the situation.

I am proud of this community, and proud of the way we have handled this. Overwhelmingly, the responses have been fair-minded and reasonable, and a healthy diversity of views has been aired.

I know that it has been emotionally draining and enervating for many of us, including myself. We are heartily sick of the whole affair, and just want to move on.

Why is it so hard to simply fix a mistake? On this very thread, @snowbird did it. @Charlotteannun did it. I do it all the time. Hey, I just did it again! It’s easy and fun and you learn stuff. Just say, “Yep, my bad, I made a mistake. Let me fix it.” Then you fix it. And we can all move on.

20 Likes