A Note from Matty Weingast on The First Free Women

No, I don’t have any source on this I could quote, aside from the new cover and description on the Amazon page which says

In The First Free Women, Matty Weingast has reimagined this ancient collection and created an original work that takes his experience of the essence of each poem and brings forth in his own words the struggles and doubts, as well as the strength, perseverance, and profound compassion, embodied by these courageous women.

and IMHO makes it clear that it’s not a translation. I don’t see why Matty should go around and state things differently than what is written on the cover of his own book.

I do understand the frustration and I also wish that Matty could have addressed this in his statement. However, I can also see why it might be difficult for him to do so. After all, his poems did start out as a translation and later evolved into a different thing. For me, it’s like his poems are not a clone of the original (i.e. a translation) but the relationship is rather like child to parent - i.e. his poems were born from the contemplation of the original poems and his own inspiration. Which is why his poems are not an entity completely separate from the original poems - but neither are they a translation.

I have the hope that the Dhamma is big and wide enough to provide room for content like this - if it’s clearly delineated from the original text so as not to confuse anyone… something that unfortunately happened in this case. I agree with what @Konin said here:

1 Like