A path without a heart

I’m not far into my experiment (of “renouncing” the like buttons and like counts), and I shouldn’t be sharing interim results :wink: , but I must say that I’m enjoying the forum more. It feels like a much better fit for me.

One thing that I really wasn’t expecting is that I feel much more gratitude for other members of this forum since simplifying the experience of interacting with you all. :pray: We’ll see how this progresses over the coming months.

I have other experiments planned for myself, such as reintroducing giving likes, but not having the like counts and ideally I’d like to run an experiment to see likes on my own posts, but not others. I hope my IT skills are up to it. :slight_smile:

I started building websites a few years ago in my spare time; before that I knew next to nothing about them. But I’ve learnt that the UI/UX (User Interface / User Experience) is much more crucial to the way that I feel and learn when I use them than I ever thought (thank you @Shivam your knowledge and help have been enormously useful). UI/UX covers all sorts disciplines from psychology to computer science, and just like architecture and design in the real world influences individual and community behaviour, UI/UX does this in the online world.

1 Like

I think that maybe this approach that we agreed on is not supported in MN70? What do you think @Gillian ?

7.1“Haven’t you known me to teach the Dhamma like this: ‘When someone feels this kind of pleasant feeling, unskillful qualities grow and skillful qualities decline. But when someone feels that kind of pleasant feeling, unskillful qualities decline and skillful qualities grow. When someone feels this kind of painful feeling, unskillful qualities grow and skillful qualities decline. But when someone feels that kind of painful feeling, unskillful qualities decline and skillful qualities grow. When someone feels this kind of neutral feeling, unskillful qualities grow and skillful qualities decline. But when someone feels that kind of neutral feeling, unskillful qualities decline and skillful qualities grow’?”

1 Like

I would think that in both circumstances the ideal that’s being reached for is a position of equanimity and that therefore they are congruent. … That’s assuming that the reader isn’t monitoring their reactions to hearts with some other goal in mind.

Yes. I find it all quite difficult really. :frowning: These worldly winds are very slippery for me.

As part of this experiment, viewers could still see and use the dislike button. But because the count was not visible to them, we found that they were less likely to target a video’s dislike button to drive up the count. In short, our experiment data showed a reduction in dislike attacking behavior1. We also heard directly from smaller creators and those just getting started that they are unfairly targeted by this behavior — and our experiment confirmed that this does occur at a higher proportion on smaller channels.

Based on what we learned, we’re making the dislike counts private across YouTube, but the dislike button is not going away. This change will start gradually rolling out today.

2 Likes

Thanks for directing attention to this thorn.

I share this sentiment.

These functions, among other things, drive user engagement by engaging the reward circuitry and are psychologically disturbing in many ways but so is talking to people in person…

I’ve had a play over the last few months and I very much like not having hearts in the interface.

I also wrote another little extension call ‘no part’ which suspends my ability to participate in the forum - much like signing out, but it allows the system to still record what I have read and my place in threads.

My latest experiment - no names - banishes all usernames and avatars from the interface. This way I am assured of responding to the message, not the person. We’ll see how it goes. My interface looks like this now:

Of course I now run the risk of arguing with myself :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What if the system implements a mechanism like a “reset”?

The hearts still serve their original purpose by telling us that a certain post has received more feedbacks than other posts from other people. But in order to remove the attachment to the number of received hearts, that number will be reset and frozen to zero after a certain period like 3-4 weeks. The author can have for himself a private panel where he can see which post received the most feedback during certain period.

Well that was a disaster no names was. I could barely follow the conversation. A step too far.

But I’m still going to keep using no heart (and no part when I feel I need a restraining hand on my ability to respond).

I’m wondering, why is that important information to have?

I’m thinking that just because something is popular, doesn’t make it wholesome, or even true. And the opposite of course goes for posts that don’t get much feedback. What is this telling us about the content that is important?

Thinking about this, I guess what might be useful is a feedback button from teachers which carries more weight depending on the number of vassa’s they have served? But that seems like it would be loading the monastics with a job they don’t need.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experiments :smiley: :pray:

It’s so great to get deeper understanding about what shapes and influences our experience of the world … Perhaps no perfect ‘solution’, but awareness and mindfulness are pretty useful for navigation :eyes:

Wishing you a lovely 2022 :slight_smile:

Is this similar to Facebook’s introduction of ‘Anonymous participant’ when we post something in a group page?

Oh, I don’t know what that is Dheerayupa. I always forget to go on social media apart from this forum so I haven’t managed to log on to Facebook for a year or two now. Imagine if all the posts looked like they came from the same person. That’s what I tried. It was mayhem :laughing:

1 Like