A Question about injuring plants?

@lordmay thank you for your post, as it helps me in understanding cognitive dissonance which i seek to resolve regarding another topic.

I did not mean anything in a negative way. I am sorry, If I, inadvertently touched on something you consider sensitive.
With Metta

1 Like

I appreciate you (@Nimal) have a personal commitment to harmlessness. :slight_smile: Let us accept that, and also (if also appropriate) as a mutual commitment, as a given.

I am aware, perhaps in a mindful way which might be beneficial to consider, that correcting another can be a sensitive interaction. I think it can be perhaps distracting in a non beneficial way, to the recipient; to the attention of the giver; to observers.

:slight_smile: This world is on fire. Things fall apart. So what can we or i or you do with this instant?

May all beings liberate.

1 Like

Awesome quote that really helps me put things in a right view when so much of the world is on fire, and so many things are falling apart.

But I must confess that I do not understand a sensitivity regarding semantic correction. Is it not my responsibility to tame my sensitive reactions to things that do not please my fragile ego?

1 Like

Hi Guys, there has been a bit of a confusion here all on my part though. I first responded to Rosie’s post where she talked about hari-kari and when ERose posted the Wikipedia article with “public comment” mentioned in it, I thought it was Rosie who might have been offended by my saying that it was hara kiri.

My apologies again for the mix up of names.
With Metta

2 Likes

More a paraphrase than a quote tho it might have happened to correspond pretty closely; within a day-night earlier, i had watched abd listened to a talk by Bhante Sujato from some years ago, in which he mentioned formal and less formal translation of Buddha’s last words.

“. Is it not my responsibility to tame my sensitive reactions to things that do not please my fragile ego?”

Imo, you are in charge of you, and each of us in charge of ourselves, too; but we can help each other maybe, and this is a type of interaction which the Buddha instructed his disciples to do. =D

2 Likes

Not exactly related to the OP since it’s not a plant but I found it interesting anyway: the intelligence of slime mold (not a plant nor an animal but a type of protist apparently…).

It does not prove anything, I agree (I’m sure an explanation could be given by scientific materialists about how this might happen), but still, after seeing this, if you meet some slime mold in your path, would you step on it as easily as before? :slight_smile:

1 Like

i do not know enough about slime molds at this time to know if stepping on it would be harmful or harmless. Recognizing this, still desiring (!) to be harmless to it and to myself, out of compassion, i would not step on it as easily as before.

If i do not maintain balance of this mass, can that movement be understood as some form of “levitation”? ;D All that might “hurt”… is contact.

Edit: i notice, this thread is in Q&A; my apologies if my obscure humor might cause anyone any trouble, please, roll your eyes or avert them, as beneficial to you.

1 Like

My spiders got excited about this film, but quickly lost interest when they realised there weren’t many flies in it. :yum:

Not to many real flies but mucho adolescent suffering. Perhaps they would like “The Fly” with Jeff Gold Blum? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

would you step on it as easily as before

Don’t you mean slip? :stuck_out_tongue:

Gratitude for your gratitude! :wink:

Dissonance resists resolve by way of its recursive nature. A simile would indicate being thankful for someone being thankful is OK, but being thankful for someone being thankful for someone being thankful is probably not.

Thus, cognitive dissonance is lead by irrationality, or the unbounded computations (unknown amounts of work) required to arrive at a rational answer. This is not to say irrationality is undesired, it is not, but more to say that it need to be wielded in a way that allows it to be (exist) without making the one considering it also irrational in the process.

Setting intent to be mindful, by way of meditation, is one means to break the looping nature of increasingly unknown amounts of work and dissonance that results from it.

1 Like

i am not my cognitive dissonance. i am not someone else’s cognitive dissonance. It rises, ceases, as such things do. :slight_smile:

Perhaps, Truth, experienced as beauty without possibility of clinging or containing in words.

1 Like

i thought they were all Ronald Weasley and Hagrid fans.

Or perhaps the educational film for spiders
“Agoraphobia”?

Do you mean arachnophobia? lol

Yeah…uh no I meant spiders afraid of public spaces…or …Yeah I meant Arachnophobia. LMAO with Metta

2 Likes

Or arachnogoraphobia, fear of spiders in public places? :yum:

2 Likes

Spiders fearing interaction or contact with other spiders… based on what i know of some spiders, that seems reasonable. So no need to design, byild, or try to put straight jackets on our 8 legged friends.

=D

And of course it goes without saying that even spiders may avail themselves of the Dhamma to dispel their misanthropy or misogyny or even arachnophophobia. Could I have been a spider in a previous life? Possibly but that would be a leap across any sutta. Fascinating, Captain! :flushed::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::sunglasses:

1 Like