A simple reminder

Just as a simple reminder.

1. If the foundation of Samatha is not strong-enough, never proceed with the Vipassana

2. If the foundation of Kayanupassana is not strong enough, never proceed against the Vedana.

3. If the foundation of Vedananupassana is not strong enough, never proceed against the Citta

4. If no Dhamma ever seen or feel or whatever, never proceed to contemplation of memorized theoretical Dhamma.

Just as The Buddha taught in Anapanasati Sutta, do step by step.

2 Likes

Seek nothing, just sit, mindfully breathe out and mindfully breathe in.
Cf. SN54.1 = SA 803:
Pages 225-7 from The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism Choong Mun-keat 2000.pdf (210.4 KB)

May I ask why not?

with metta

1 Like

It is simple, like a pupil, we need to build a good foundation, those on the elementary stage, need to go to the elementary school, never try the Bachelor degree examination.

Failure to be mindful of self ability, only led to self-destruction. whether blowing-up ego or anxiety getting worser & worser. And, we have yogi who suicide after meditation retreats.

But there are a handful of gifted people who can but not in majority.

So know thy ability.

1 Like

Incorrect.

Right View is needed at all time for the practice of Vipassana (i.e. right view) and Samatha (i.e. mindfulness), according to the core teachings of SN/SA suttas.

Cf: Who is the best teacher on Samatha and Vipassana meditation? - #2 by thomaslaw

Beautiful advice to proceed step by step and to build on firm foundations, but how do we known if one step “is strong enough”? One way would be to test the next step and see how it goes?

When we meditate, we shall know naturally or automatically what is happening inside.

Meditating is like reading a book. Open and read it, page by page. Chapter by Chapter. When we understand what is the meaning of the last chapter we read, it means we can proceed to the next chapter.

Do not worry, the truth is within us. And the Buddha had taught & showed us the way to the truth.

ps. when the time ripe, we shall notice that the Pa Auk Method & the Mahasi Method correlate to each other.

I know what you mean, but add a twist.

One just opens the book!

That’s it :pray:

If people who just open the book, just know that they just breathing in and out, that’s it. Remember Anapasati Tetrad 1.1, just do it. The rest they shall know it. Now, they only know it just a breath. A breath in & a breath out. But next, they can realize that the breath in long or short, warm & cold, etc.

Do not think to far. Do not think about the thoughts if we are not even aware of our very breath in and out.

1 Like

I’ve read my first dhamma book in about 1 minute.

One single sentence.

Don’t know where it is now, and no need.

Sure no need to know all the Dhamma theory & those scientific explanations. After all, they are just a Pannati Dhamma not a Paramatha Dhamma. The Buddha saw it & realized it. But, are we see it & realize it ourself??? They are just our fleeting memories.

We just need the basic knowledge, the in & out breath, try to stick to it, know it & realized the knowledge within & beyond the breath.

I could go along with that if it means knowing the “full body” of the breath.

Because the body is much more than it seems :pray:

Well since you mention the 'whole-body (sabbakāya), I believe you understand what I meant before.

The body I talk about is 13,8:billon years old or seasoned. That’s my “whole body of breath”

Seek nothing, just sit, mindfully breathe out and mindfully breathe in.
But right view is needed at all times for the practice of Vipassana (i.e. right view) and Samatha (i.e. mindfulness), according to the core teachings of SN/SA suttas.