Abrahmacariyavāsā = kafir?

Sukhi Hontu… :anjal:

Today I found new Pali word that I never heard it before, “abrahmacariyavāsā”.
Some people said it means “non Buddhist”, just like Muslim called non Muslim “kafir”. Is it true?

I’m try to get it’s meaning with Pali dictionary…

A: not
Brahmacariya: holy life
Vasa: power

I’m not sure about it, anyone can help me? :confused:

a - not
brahma - celibate being
cariya - conduct
vāsa - living

living without brahma-like conduct

living a non-celibate life

2 Likes

[quote=“sjayasinghe, post:2, topic:4684, full:true”]
a - not
brahma - celibate beings
cariya - conduct
vāsa - living

living without brahma-like conduct

living a non-celibate life
[/quote]Why Brahma as “celibate” and no other quality?

One of the eight/ten precepts is abrahmacariya veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami which is to undertake the precept to abstain from all sexual activity.

The distinguishing factor between Brahmas and other beings is that Brahmas have attained jhana and therefore have abandoned sensual pleasures. Since they have abandoned sensual pleasures they do not engage in any sexual activity.

To live like a brahma as a human being would either be to refrain from partaking all sense pleasures, or to refrain from just sexual activity. The former (refraining from partaking all sense pleasures) is only possible if you’re constantly in jhana or if you’re a non-returner, so this is not really practical as one of the precepts. Which leaves us with refraining from sexual activity.

5 Likes

I don’t think these two terms have anything to do with one another. One seems to be describing someone who doesn’t observe precepts and another is something else entirely.

Kafir, it is worth noting, is a very ugly word. Its used as a racist term against African people, particularly in South Africa (came from Muslim term but was used by whites to describe native peoples).

1 Like

To make matters worse, it’s also the worst kind of lime.

Thanks for the opinion guys… :anjal: