Acceptance you are not born in a Buddhist country

Well. One for it happen natural. Just like it was for Maha Kassapa. It’s not neccesary. Because right now and for long time I don’t like the rituals etc of organized Buddhism. That’s mainly because I’m a western with a different way of looking at what and how Biddhism should be. For example. Like I don’t see bowing to Buddha statues as true Buddhist. Not that it should stop me but that’s just me saying 1 thing. Then there vinaya which I doubt was so much in time of Buddha. Better not join sonething you cant fully follow in harmony with others.

Thank you for the welcome Ric,

Yes, this is a very good quality discussion website with a lot of good references and pointings to good suttas.
I registered some time ago, but I am not a contributor.
This discussion “triggered” me in contributing.
I can’t blame the discussion, the seed of the trigger was/is in me.

Regarding the path, it is pathless and no self is walking on it.

Ananda to all

1 Like

Is it really important where you ‘were’ born?

You ‘are now’ blessed to ‘have found’ Buddhism and a good circle of honest practitioners here, with great teachings of the Buddha himself to follow. If you need modern people to explain the Buddha’s words, Bhante Sujato, Ajahn Brahmali and of course Ajahn Brahm have lots of talks on Youtube.

I was born in Thailand but I started to understand deeper Buddhist teachings when I heard words from Perth. And the ‘monastery’ that I visit the most is my ‘laptop monastery’.

I’m grateful I’ve found great monks and nuns who have shown me the way to appreciate and practice the Buddha’s teachings.

I’m grateful for all the kalyamittas I’ve found since I first heard the words from Perth, including not only monastics but also lay people like the very sweet and kind @stu.

1 Like

Sri Lanka, an island nation in South Asia, holds a special place as a predominantly Buddhist country. With a rich cultural heritage that intertwines with its religious beliefs, Sri Lanka provides a unique setting where Buddhism flourishes. The influence of Theravada Buddhism is pervasive, shaping the daily lives, customs, and traditions of the people.

Buddhism was introduced to Sri Lanka in the 3rd century BCE, making it one of the oldest Buddhist countries in the world. The arrival of Buddhism was a pivotal moment in the country’s history, leading to the establishment of monasteries, stupas, and statues that stand as testaments to the faith. The teachings of the Buddha, emphasizing compassion, mindfulness, and the pursuit of enlightenment, have deeply resonated with the people of Sri Lanka for centuries.

One of the most iconic symbols of Sri Lanka’s Buddhist heritage is the ancient city of Anuradhapura. This UNESCO World Heritage Site houses some of the oldest and most revered Buddhist stupas, including the Ruwanwelisaya and Jetavanaramaya, which attract pilgrims and tourists alike. These sacred sites serve as focal points for religious ceremonies, meditation, and reflection, fostering a sense of spiritual unity among the faithful.

In addition to its historical significance, Buddhism plays a vital role in contemporary Sri Lankan society. The practice of giving alms to monks, observing precepts, and participating in religious festivals are integral parts of many Sri Lankans’ lives. Vesak, the celebration of the Buddha’s birth, enlightenment, and death, is a particularly grand festival that illuminates streets with colorful lanterns, beckoning devotees to temples for prayers and offerings.

Beyond its religious aspects, Buddhism in Sri Lanka also influences societal norms and values. Concepts such as non-violence, tolerance, and respect for all living beings underpin the social fabric, guiding interactions between individuals and communities. The teachings of the Buddha serve as a moral compass, guiding the people of Sri Lanka in their quest for personal growth and societal harmony.

In conclusion, Sri Lanka stands out as a beacon of Buddhism in the modern world. The tenets of Theravada Buddhism have left an indelible mark on the country’s culture, shaping its identity and fostering a sense of spiritual connectedness among its people. As Sri Lanka continues to navigate the complexities of the modern age, its enduring Buddhist heritage remains a source of solace, wisdom, and inspiration for generations to come.

1 Like