Advaita Vedanta

Does this Agama show evidence of early Advaita Vedanta during the Buddha’s time?

Thus have I heard. At one time the Buddha was staying at Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s Park.

At that time the Blessed One said to the monks: “The existence of what is the cause, by clinging to what, by being fettered and attached to what, by seeing what as the self, do living beings have a view like this and speak like this: ‘In this way myself and another are entirely not two, not different, no less than that?’”

The monks said to the Buddha: “The Blessed One is the root of the Dharma, the eye of the Dharma, the foundation of the Dharma …” to be recited fully in the same way in the sequence of the above three discourses.

SA 153: 不二—Bhikkhu Anālayo (suttacentral.net)

1 Like

Buddhism predates Advaita.

1 Like

Yes I know, but the ideas of it are pregnant in the Upanishads which predate Buddhism.

1 Like

Most schools of Vedanta, namely Dvaita, Advaita and Vishishtadvaita follow the Upanishads and the Brahma sutras and interpret them in line with their views.

1 Like

Indeed, but what I am saying is that it looks like here there was a proto-Advaita around. This wouldn’t be too stretch of the imagination, since the upaniṣadaḥ which predate the Buddha do lend themselves heavily towards such a worldview.

1 Like