AI-2: Machine translations of suttas are the wrong solution for the wrong problem

Dearest Teacher @sujato,

It took me a long time to embrace this project for several reasons the main one of which was quality assurance.

In my humble opinion, the translation is after all the translator’s interpretation and decision to convey the message, which might or might not be the source text’s intention.

Another issue discussed widely in the translation industry is ‘consistency’. I’ve noticed that you used the same translation most of the time, but in some instances you didn’t. I looked at one instance that you didn’t, and I like your choice. Some people may not.

I myself don’t use a blanket policy for all source texts, either always using the same translation as AI (intelligence without wisdom) would do, or trying to find different ones to keep the translation not boring. Contexts should dictate it. Some words need the same translation at all time, some don’t. Being a responsible translator requires several skills, including informed judgement.

Most important of all, translators should be mindful at all time that their work is for others, not for themselves. Translating is not a way to boost our ego, but a way to serve others. It’s an act of giving. Ensuring that our ‘giving’ is wholesome also requires skills.

I promise I’ll do my best for your project, ka.

With deepest respect,

1 Like

Coming back to the topic of using AI in translation, IMHO, one should never present work that one cannot assure its quality. To present translation by AI as is is irresponsible.

On the other hand,…

AI translation programs could be exploited during the translation process. I am not embarrassed to say that I myself use machine translation for English to Thai for several reasons.

First and foremost, despite decades of working as a translator, I can’t touch-type Thai (my excuse is that the Thai alphabet has 44 consonant symbols, 16 vowel symbols, four tone diacritics, plus special characters). However, I don’t always use it. Machines could do simple sentences of simple texts. Despite leaping progress, they still hilariously get lost when it comes to complicated topics. :grin: :laughing: :rofl:

Second, when I am asked to render translation of simple texts just for the reader to ‘know’ what the source text is about and then discard the translation, I’d use machine translation and quickly edit the mistakes without bothering with ‘nice language’. And I definitely tell my reader about my process before giving the translation to them.

So, when it comes to suttas, would I use AI? No.

But…

If there are some free AI programs that could help make my life easier during the translation process, I’d consider it.

4 Likes