AI for Sutta Study Suggestions using GPT-4

I put together sutta study guides for myself on specific topics from time to time using resources here. I was experimenting with GPT-4, the AI Chatbot, which has ostensibly ingested all of the Pali Cannon and commentary publicly available on the internet. I thought I’d share my experience and I guess share the results so far. What is your view of what it put together as a 4 week study guide on the topic of wealth and fame for a layperson?

Here is a suggested month-long course of sutta study for a layperson on wealth and fame. This course includes three suttas per week, along with reflective questions to contemplate during your study.

Week 1: Understanding Desire and Attachment

1. Dhammapada Verses 186-187 Reflection: How do these verses highlight the source of true happiness, and how does that relate to your pursuit of wealth and fame?

2. Kama Sutta (Sutta Nipata 766-768) Reflection: How does this sutta describe the nature of sensual desire, and how can understanding this help you in overcoming your attachment to wealth and fame?

3. Upadana Sutta (Samyutta Nikaya 22.53) Reflection: How does clinging and attachment lead to suffering? How can you apply this understanding to your desires for wealth and fame?

Week 2: Impermanence and Letting Go

1. Anicca Sutta (Samyutta Nikaya 35.43) Reflection: How does this sutta describe the impermanence of all things? How does this understanding relate to your pursuit of wealth and fame?

2. Anapanasati Sutta (Majjhima Nikaya 118) Reflection: How can practicing mindfulness of breathing help you cultivate non-attachment and develop insight into the impermanent nature of wealth and fame?

3. Meghiya Sutta (Udana 4.1) Reflection: How does this sutta illustrate the importance of cultivating a calm and concentrated mind in order to overcome attachment and craving?

Week 3: The Middle Way and Right Livelihood

1. Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (Samyutta Nikaya 56.11) Reflection: How does the Middle Way provide a balanced approach to life, and how can you apply this principle to your pursuit of wealth and fame?

2. Sigalovada Sutta (Digha Nikaya 31) Reflection: How does this sutta guide laypeople in living a virtuous and balanced life? What specific advice does it offer regarding wealth and attachment?

3. Vanijja Sutta (Anguttara Nikaya 5.177) Reflection: How does this sutta describe right livelihood? How can you apply these teachings to your own pursuit of wealth while maintaining a balanced and ethical approach?

Week 4: Cultivating Compassion, Generosity, and Inner Peace

1. Karaniya Metta Sutta (Sutta Nipata 1.8) Reflection: How does the cultivation of loving-kindness and compassion help reduce attachment and desire for wealth and fame?

2. Dana Sutta (Anguttara Nikaya 7.49) Reflection: How does practicing generosity help in loosening the grip of desire and attachment to wealth? How can you cultivate generosity in your daily life?

3. Dhammapada Verses 204-205 Reflection: How do these verses encourage the pursuit of inner peace and contentment? How can focusing on these qualities help you let go of your attachment to wealth and fame?

By studying these suttas and engaging in the reflective questions, you can deepen your understanding of the Buddhist perspective on desire, attachment, and impermanence, and learn how to cultivate inner peace, contentment, and balance in your life.

1 Like

AN 7.49 is the Dutiyasaññā Sutta.

As I’ve talked about before, GPT is good at BS but lacks precision or understanding. Why use it when there are much better, human-crafted resources freely available?

5 Likes

Dear @nhurst ,

Welcome to Discuss & Discover, the discussion forum associated with SuttaCentral , informally referred to as “the Forum”. We are pleased to have you, and we hope that you find much to interest you.

Before adding any posts, please browse through some threads and read the Forum Guidelines . We offer this service as part of our Dhamma practice, as the suttas say that conversation about Dhamma is part of the eight-fold path. We hope that you will use it in the same way.

You can find more information on using the forum effectively in our FAQ . Please also take a moment to review our Guide to the Forum Guidelines for a succinct overview.

These last two can also be accessed at any time by clicking the “FAQ” link in the hamburger menu to the left of your user icon, and the Guidelines by clicking the “About” link and then clicking “Guidelines”.

A list of the current moderators is maintained here . For assistance using the site, please send a direct/personal message to @helpdesk-dd, and for general questions to @moderators. We look forward to getting to know you.

With metta,
The Mods

Acceptance, being easy to speak to,
The sight of good practitioners,
And timely conversation about Dhamma:
This is the greatest blessing.
Maṅgala Sutta, Kp 5.10

4 Likes