Am i treading the wrong path?

Thank you Debra…i will!!

1 Like

@musiko
Thanks for the edit work!!

1 Like

I have seen that wise people from all kinds of traditions and religions, have recognised, seen, taught, arrived at the experience that the hunger in ourselves cannot be solved by eating edible and mental food.

I have often seen this same message, also with mystics and in christianity. Also a shared message i have seen is: do not seek refuge, safety, salvation, happiness in what is condioned, temporary.

It is like being guided or brought onto the same save path by different skillful means.
A save path leading to dispassion, detachment, giving up, letting go, becoming less dependend, less agitated, less needy.

See also: AN8.53

2 Likes

Thank you green…
The more i read, the more AND the less i understand…
This is why i have a problem, i am immersing myself in “food for thought”. How can one ever release ones self of this? I have a craving for wisdom, am i somehow to give up this craving?!?

you should practice what you learn. and, for starters, only look for what you can apply in your life right now.

i had this problem too. learning just to satisfy my curiosity, learn just to satisfy doubts that have no meaning in my life right now. so i started just searching now to things that matters. how the world was created, how rebirth works, how dependent origination works are subjects that don’t matter (like the creation of the world), or subjects that will have no meaning for me now (the others in the example).

when i gather more wisdom and when im sure that this is the path i will be leading, i start to worry about this. right now my focus are: learn the fundamentals of buddhism, create and nurish a practice of meditation and correct my moral conduct to follow the five precepts.

contrary to what i always do, im taking it easy. i always were the type of person who would want to relentless gather knowledge in the least amout of time untill i grow tired of that subject and jump to another.

just like the buddha does not recommend to eat food for the body like your life dependent on it (it does, but you get the point :sweat_smile:), im applying this principle to eat food for the mind. calmly, with no rush, chewing every bit with care and respect. then wait for the mind “digest” in the daily life while meditating.

and, if you want a tip on how to do it: commit with yourself. it’s not easy to go against or behavior, so we should not expect some inner change to happen while we wait doing nothing. commit with yourself, promise for yourself to do this and that, to not do this or that. thanks to that, i’m about a month without smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

i hope this somehow help you. with metta.

2 Likes

@moxu
Thanks man, it sounds like we have a lot in common.
I appreciate the guidance

Hi …
You are not wrong. No one is wrong in this world. So, stay strong.

First, Dao is not Buddhism, so get rid of it from the Buddhism realm. They belong to a different teaching.

Second, There are no corrupted teaching also. The Buddha’s teaching is only one and it has been divided into so many. What you see is maybe just the tail of the elephant or the tusk of the elephant. You may say this sect has corrupted and only this sect is not corrupted. Nobody knows. It has been over 2500 years. I do not believe that even the Pali version are not corrupted.

To the bottom line, why not practice it yourself and see the outcome. Do not theorized to much, all books can be considered just as a fruit of thoughts, they maybe a real dhamma or self analyze dharma, who knows. I, myself, nowadays only read those Pali Suttas which have paralell in Taisho Sutra.

1 Like

Hi, i am personally very glad i have met people, in real life and as teachers in books, who are very interested in goodness, wellbeing, wisdom, finding truth. I must say i started to feel alive when i entered this world. It was so refreshing, so nice. It was like i finally found something of great worth.
Something where my heart lies.

Some people are very interested in earning a lot of money, job, holidays, cloths, hanging out with friend but i discovered that i am really only interested in wisdom, in truth, in goodness. There is where my heart lies.

I discovered i do not like just theorising about things without goal, just for fun, or win debates or something like that. I feel wisdom is always connected with the goal wellbeing. I feel in buddhism a lot comes together.

A lot of tradition also teach a life of study, reflecting, meditating, practising. I very much like this contemplative life. I do not think i can live another way. I feel that if your heart is with wisdom you are a blessed person even when it is not an easy life and you meet obstacles, doubts, burdens etc.

May wisdom and goodness lead you.

2 Likes

You can get that book in eBook form here

I read a few pages. The style of the English is odd. I did a quick search on the author and he is a native English speaker. Strange…

Thank you @sabbamitta, i have started reading this. I am sure many of the questions i have posed, even after you recommended i read this, can be answered here. I guess i had better stop asking, and start reading

1 Like