Amateur Translation of SA 36

Amatuer translation of SA 36 (parallel SN 22.43):[quote]如是我聞:
Thus so I heard:

一時,佛住摩偷羅國跋提河側傘蓋菴羅樹園。
One time, [the] Buddha dwelt [in the] Mó Tōu Luó nation [at] Hiraṇyavatī river, [at the] side [of it, there was a] canopy [where a] nunnery [here the language is beyond me, but the last three characters are:] “collection - tree - garden” [it seems evident that this was a “forest nunnery” or a nunnery with a garden]

爾時,世尊告諸比丘:
At that-time, [the] Bhagavān spoke [to the] myriad monks:

「住於自洲,住於自依;住於法洲,住於法依;
"Dwell in[,] remain[, in] island(s), dwell in[,] remain[, in] upadhi (lit. obeisance?); dwell in dharma islands, dwell in dharma obeisance (or “dependancy”);

不異洲不異依。比丘!
no other island[,] no other obeisance. Monk(s)!

當正觀察,住自洲自依,法洲法依,不異洲不異依。
Appositely [and] rightly observe [and] examine, dwelling [and] remaining [as an] island [is] naturally obedient, no other island[,] no other obeisance, [the] dharma [is an] island [and the] dharma [one] obeys, no other island[,] no other obeisance.

何因生憂悲惱苦?云何有?因何故?何繫著?
Why for jāti [and] worry[,] karuṇā[,] anger[,] duḥkha? How now bhāva? For why so? Why relations [of] clinging?

云何自觀察未生憂悲惱苦而生,已生憂悲惱苦生長增廣?」
How now remains insight [and] examination yet-to-be cultivated[:] worry[,] karuṇā[,] anger[,] duḥkha thus to-remain, after jāti , worry, karuṇā[,] anger[,] duḥkha thus to-remain, increasing [in] vastness?"

諸比丘白佛:「世尊法根、法眼、法依,唯願為說!諸比丘聞已,當如說奉行。」
[The] myriad monks asked [the] Buddha: “Bhagavān [of] dharma root, [of] dharma eye, [of] dharma dependancy, [we] only hope for words! [We] myriad monks upon hearing[,] appositely[,] thus say[, in] worship[, how is this] fabricated?”

佛告比丘:「諦聽,善思,當為汝說。
[The] Buddha said [to the] monks: "Listen careful. Think wise. Appositely for you [I] speak.

比丘!有色、因色、繫著色,自觀察未生憂悲惱苦而生,
Monks! Bhāva form (i.e. rūpa), because [of] form, co-terminus [with] attachment [to] form, remaining observing [and] examining not-yet developed worry[,] karuṇā[,] anger[,] duḥkha[,] thus [it] develops,

已生而復增長廣大;受、想、行、識亦復如是。
after birth (jāti) therefore again increases [this] vastness, vedanā, saṃjñā, saṃskāra, vijñāna [is] also thus [i.e. the same].

比丘!頗有色常、恒、不變易、正住耶?」
Monks! Rather is form constant, persisting, no changing variation, rightly to-dwell always?"

答言:「不也,世尊!」
[They] replied saying: “No certainly, Bhagavān!”

佛告比丘:「善哉!善哉!比丘!色是無常。
[The] Buddha told [the] monks: "Sādhu! Sādhu! Monks! Form[,] this lacks constancy.

若善男子知色是無常、苦、變易,離欲、滅、寂靜、沒,從本以來,
If kulaputrāḥ know form as lacking constancy, duḥkha, constant transformation, [they] leave desire, destroy [it], tranquility [and] calm, death/cessation, release from origination because-of [this] happening,

一切色無常、苦、變易法知已,若色因緣生憂悲惱苦斷,
All form lacks constancy, [is] duḥkha, constant transformations [of] dharmāḥ known [in] retrospect, thus form causes (hetu) predestination (“fate”) to-develope[:] anger [and] duḥkha resolutely,

彼斷已無所著,不著故安隱樂住,安隱樂住已,
These resolutely afterwards lack this touching (“contact”), [there is] no grasping cause here-and-now***[,] secret joy [you must???] dwell [in], here-and-now*** rejoice-in resting after***,

***this was the hardest section to decipher, I am not sure of this rendering here at all!

名為涅槃。受、想、行、識亦復如是。」
So-is made (fabricated?) Nirvāṇa. vedanā, saṃjñā, saṃskāra, vijñāna [are] also thus."

佛說此經時,十六比丘不生諸漏,心得解脫。
Buddhavacana this sūtra [was] thereafter, sixteen (???) monks did-not cultivate myriad outflows, experienced vimokṣa.

佛說此經已,諸比丘聞佛所說,歡喜奉行。
Buddhavacana this sūtra [was] thereafter, myriad monks heard Buddha teach it, joyfully [they] practiced.

竹園、毘舍離 、
[The] bamboo grove, Vaiśālī (Pí Shè Lí),

清淨、正觀察、
Clear [and] pure, true insightful inquiry,

無常、苦、非我、
without constancy, duḥkha, not-owning “I”,

五、三、與十六。
five, three, and sixteen.[/quote]
Strange ending!

Interestingly, as a amatuer āgama-explorer, the Buddha seems to “speak” mostly in questions.

Interesting. Thanks. It’s good to mention SA 36 in the text so we have an easy link to that and the parallel SN 22.43.

1 Like

[quote=“mikenz66, post:2, topic:4803, full:true”]
Interesting. Thanks. It’s good to mention SA 36 in the text so we have an easy link to that and the parallel SN 22.43.
[/quote]Duly noted and altered.

There is an obvious parallel, that I am missing, between 自洲/自依 and 法洲/法依 in the third line of my amateur translation. The problem lies with my reading of 自, I suspect.

1 Like

Fyi, SA 36 has been translated into English by Ven. Analayo: https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/pdf/5-personen/analayo/translations/sa04.pdf
(I’m curios why this English translation hasn’t been uploaded on SC yet? :thinking:)

2 Likes

[quote=“seniya, post:5, topic:4803, full:true”]
Fyi, SA 36 has been translated into English by Ven. Analayo: https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/pdf/5-personen/analayo/translations/sa04.pdf
(I’m curios why this English translation hasn’t been uploaded on SC yet? :thinking:)
[/quote]Interesting! I’ll probably incorporate Ven Ánalayo’s translation into the OP now that I know it exists.

It will be interesting to see how close I got.

1 Like