AN 8.53 Brief Advice to Gotami

Hi, everyone,

This is my first post here, and I apologize if this is not the correct category for the question; if it is not, please point me to the right direction.

During this Saturday’s (10/08/22) Serious 1-hour Meditation & Sutta Study with Ayya Sudhamma, there was an unusual difference caught between Bhante Sujato’s and Thanissaro Bhikkhu’s translation of AN 8.53 - Brief Advice to Gotamī, Saṅkhitta Sutta (Sujato; (Thanissaro recent, Thanissaro 1998). Specifically the line at the very end in Thanissaro Bhikkhu’s translation is absent in the translation by Bhante Sujato:

That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, Mahāpājapati Gotamī delighted in his words.

The above line does not have a corresponding line in the Pali root text used in Bhante Sujato’s translation, nor is there an equivalent line found in Bhikkhu Bodhi’s - neither is it in Ajahn Brahmali’s translation in the Vinaya parallel).

Did Thanissaro Bhikkhu source this source the sutta from another edition, or is it an error? If the former, would anyone know which edition he used?

Thank you in advanced!
Michael (metastable on Maggasekha network)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

I believe that Ajahn Thanissaro uses the Thai edition. The Digital Pali Reader has a/the Thai edition, and it seems to not have that phrase either:

ETA: You can always call him up and ask. He keeps regular office hours (posted on his monastery website)

ETA2: There is also a translation available by Bhante Ānandajoti here, which includes lines from the commentary:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Texts-and-Translations/Gotamisuttani/03-Brief.htm

If you don’t know about it, this is a tool that helps get to most translations available on the web:

There can be slight problems with Ajahn Thanissaro’s numbering, but in this case it matches.

3 Likes

The sentence is found in the Gotamīsutta in Somdet Pussadeva’s Suat Mon Chabap Luang, the official chanting book of the Dhammayuttika Nikāya.

What may have happened is that Ven. Thanissaro first translated it from this source in the course of romanising the chanting book (or some other chanting book derivative upon it) and later added it to his selection of AN translations, but without first checking whether the AN reading was the same as that of the chanting book.

7 Likes

Thank you! I’m happy to be here. And thank you for the answer!

I’m grateful you’ve reminded me to take advantage of the features provided by Digital Pali Reader and, especially, Reading Faithfully - admittedly, rarely do I think to do so.

Thank you, Bhante! This is very convincing as the immediate source of the line, and combined with Snowbird’s answer gives a complete resolution to the riddle - acknowledging that the provided scenario was qualified as plausible.

1 Like

Readers may be interested in the full context (see note 6):