An Interview with the Creator of Pali Wordle

8 Likes

Can make 4, 6, 7, 8 letters ones? 5 letters in dictionary seems too little words.

1 Like

Yeah, there are 800 some in the word list and a few thousand more in the obscure list, so this is a bit less than half the ideal sizeā€¦ but itā€™s not an order of magnitude off.

Given the vowel problem you brought up before, four letters would be way too little (you couldnā€™t eliminate consonants fast enough) and I think 7/8 letter words is approaching the limit of numerical perception (you shouldnā€™t have to count letters), so that just leaves 6 as a reasonable possibility.

Testing it out locally, yeah six would work. There are about twice as many 6 letter words, so that would be about the right size dictionary. And it kinda makes up for the fact that almost all words end in ā€œaā€ anyway :joy: I guess my only concern is that itā€™s a little harder to think up six letter words than five (at least for me). What do other people think? :pray: Iā€™m happy to switch it to six letters if other people prefer it that way :slight_smile: Iā€™m ambivalent myself. Itā€™s surprisingly a pretty easy code change to make.

1 Like

Donā€™t switch, make a new one! Duplicate! Itā€™s not needed to think of words, just have some words ready, eliminate some consonants, start to type the words in dictionary for more words based on the clues. vacana, vedana,

1 Like

Go for it! :slight_smile: Fork the code, change this constant to 6 and run cd makedicts && node makedicts.js to generate the new dictionary :grin:

So download the thing first? Or copy paste to which software? What is run cd thing? command mode? What language is this written on? How to host this on a blog?

C:\Users\ngxin\wordle>npm install
ā€˜npmā€™ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\ngxin\wordle>cd makedicts && node makedicts.js
ā€˜nodeā€™ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Hmm I havenā€™t done node on Windows before. You can either install WSL+nvm or give nvm-windows a try. Then use nvm to install the latest node version.