Analysis of AN 6.73, AN 6.74, AN 6.75 three suttas on first jhana V&V

B. Sujato’s translation of those 3 suttas:

AN 6.73, AN 6.74, AN 6.75 three suttas on first jhana V&V , eng + pali, trans. by B. Sujato

AN 6.73 is straightforward:

• Without abandoning 5niv (hindrances), one can not enter and remain in first jhana.
  • without seeing danger in sensual pleasures with good-view (su-ditthi = work in progress version of “right view”), one can not enter and remain in first jhana.

AN 6.74 also straightforward.

• Without abandoning 3 wrong thoughts (vitakka) corresponding to wrong version of samma sankappa (right resolve), one can not enter and remain in first jhana.
  • Without abandoning 3 wrong perceptions (sañña) corresponding to wrong version of samma sankappa (right resolve), one can not enter and remain in first jhana.

Now the next sutta is where it gets interesting, and fills in the blank of “what about the 3 right thoughts and 3 right perceptions in first jhana?” missing from AN 6.74.

AN 6.75 is titled “dukkha”, but perhaps should have been called “tatiya-taj-jhāna-sutta”

as it logically follows the previous two suttas in numerical sequence, and thematically, though slightly disguised by a code phrase and a reference to karma and rebirth.

“dittha dhamma sukha vihara” = abiding in four jhanas

First note that “dittha dhamma sukha vihara” is a code phrase that means first three jhanas, or all four jhanas (AN 6.29, AN 4.41).
And the STED third jhana states “yam tam ariya accikkhanti: upekkhamo satima sukha viharaya” ti. (The noble ones declare: ‘equanimously-observing, rememberful, (one has) pleasurable abiding’)

B. sujato (perhaps inadvertently) translates vitakka correctly here in AN 6.75

Chahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannāgato bhikkhu diṭṭheva dhamme sukhaṃ viharati avighātaṃ anupāyāsaṃ apariḷāhaṃ, kāyassa bhedā paraṃ maraṇā sugati pāṭikaṅkhā. Katamehi chahi? Nekkhammavitakkena, abyāpādavitakkena, avihiṃsāvitakkena, nekkhammasaññāya, abyāpādasaññāya, avihiṃsāsaññāya—imehi, kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannāgato bhikkhu diṭṭheva dhamme sukhaṃ viharati avighātaṃ anupāyāsaṃ apariḷāhaṃ, kāyassa bhedā paraṃ maraṇā sugati pāṭikaṅkhā”ti.

When a mendicant has six qualities they live happily in the present life—without distress, anguish, or fever—and when the body breaks up, after death, they can expect a good rebirth. What six? Thoughts of renunciation, love, and kindness. And perceptions of renunciation, love, and kindness. When a mendicant has these six qualities they live happily in the present life—without distress, anguish, or fever—and when the body breaks up, after death, they can expect a good rebirth.”

Conclusion: You can have thoughts (vitakka) of renunciation, love, kindness in first jhana!

So what does that tell you about how vitakka should be translated in the STED(standard EBT definition) first jhana formula?

You can have perceptions (sañña) of renunciation, love, kindness in 2nd, 3rd, 4th jhana!

Vitakka (thought) drops out before 2nd jhana, but the “flavor” of that thought remains as a perception, and that perception can take you to up to 3rd or 4th jhana.

Vimutti-magga would say the nekkkhamma perception can take you to 4th jhana, but perceptions of the other two, closely related to 4bv (brahma viharas), can only take you to 3rd jhana because those perceptions would necessarily include perceptions of sukha (sukha needs to drop out before 4th jhana).

6 Likes

Friend @frankk … I see (given also other posts of yours) that you have researched this issue to the bone! Perhaps you might consider the idea of collecting all your findings regarding it, along with your research methods, together in one formidable essay and share it with us! Already done?!

3 Likes

I enthusiastically support this suggestion. Please @frankk considers!

2 Likes

Greetings Ven.,
My notes on V&V are a little out of sync with the posts on V&V I’ve collected here:

I’ll try to get my offline notes in sync and updated and release it as one ebook before the end of the year.

3 Likes

Thanks!