Anantarika Kamma, meaning hell in next life

Hi, I have a question.

Why is everyone so sure about the view that doing one of the five heinous deeds leads to hell in the next life necessarily?

There is Parikuppa sutta: SuttaCentral

There is Voropita sutta: SuttaCentral

There is Dutiyaabhabbaṭṭhānasutta: SuttaCentral

It is mentioned in Vinaya: Vin.2.193:
(I am not able to find the vinaya part here on suttacentral)
Then the Lord addressed the monks, saying: “This, monks, is the first deed whose fruit comes with no delay accumulated by Devadatta since he, with his mind malignant, his mind on murder, drew the Truth-finder’s blood.”

idaṃ, bhikkhave, devadattena paṭhamaṃ ānantariyaṃ kammaṃ upacitaṃ, yaṃ duṭṭhacittena vadhakacittena tathāgatassa ruhiraṃ uppādita.

Anantarika means: without interval, immediately following.

The term anantarika-kamma could very well refer to the fact that the immediate effect of these deeds is that the doer cannot enter the stream and not that it leads immediately to hell.

So in the sutta about the Five Deeds it is not mentioned that it leads to hell in the next life.
In the sutta about Kamma-Obstructions it is also not mentioned.

The only hint about it is given two times in the palicanon. Once in the suttas with the term anantarika kamma and once in the vinaya.

What am I missing here? Why is everyone in the buddhist world so sure that it leads to hell in the immediately next life? Are there parts of the palikanon or something about the context, that I am missing here?

See also the Vinaya’s account of which type of schismatic bhikkhu is doomed to hell and which isn’t.

Upālipañhā

In particular the two sections beginning with: “But, Lord, having split an Order that was harmonious, what does he set up?”

2 Likes

Thank you for adding that, venerable.