Aññā = enlightenment?

@sujato, may I ask bhante, what was the reasoning behind translating aññā as ‘enlightenment’? When I hear ‘enlightenment’ I assume that the Pali is bodhi, whereas aññā has a more straightforward jñā as it’s root.

I found that translation in AN 3.85 but I don’t know how consistently you have used this rendering…

1 Like

It seems to be an established synonym for arahantship…

1 Like

I thought Anna Kondanna is only a Sotapanna.

Normally, as pointed out, annā is reserved for arahantship. Nyanamoli introduced the rendering “final knowledge”, which is still used by Ven Bodhi in Numerical Discourses. It’s okay, I guess, but a bit of an obscure idiom.

Since I’m using “awakening” for bodhi, “enlightenment” is freed up, and it seemed a good fit.

That’s true, but it’s an exceptional usage.

3 Likes

I was rather wondering about a translation that relates to the root of jñā = knowing and could be connected to arahantship, something like ‘certitude’.

The semantic difference would be that ‘enlightenment’ stands for itself whereas ‘certitude’ would need an object (‘certain of x…’) as it often comes with the sentence “I understand: ‘Rebirth is ended…”

2 Likes

Just adding to the mix of ideas.

Annā most probably means clear seeing. In the context of AN 3.85 , ‘seeing as it really is’ (yathābhūtaṃ sammappaññāya).

In the context of Aññākondañña, probably kondañña who sees clearly. see what?

“Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation.”

1 Like