Any Special Vesak Dishes?

Hi friends,

as a passionate cook and great lover of Asian cuisine, I just can’t help asking: are there any special Vesak dishes and if there are, can you give me a recipe? :flushed:

4 Likes

You can try milk-rice. It’s easy to cook. It’s not specific to Vesak- there isn’t special Vesak food as such (‘rice and curry again :unamused:’) at least in Sri Lanka, AFAIK.

Watch a few videos before attempting it.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Ilya, I found this recipe. I can’t claim to be a chef, but I love cooking, as well. Whenever I am doing anagarika stuff, such as when visiting Abhayagiri, for morning work duty, I always make a beeline for the kitchen, vs. doing stuff like digging post holes or pulling weeds.

Here it is: http://www.incultureparent.com/2012/05/wesak-recipe-tofu-and-vegetables-with-peanut-sauce/

The author of the recipe mentions she is a fan of Graham Kerr. Is anyone old enough to remember the Galloping Gourmet? I enjoyed athletics, but as a boy, I’d sooner watch Graham Kerr, than baseball.

3 Likes

Kiribath is similar to the food Siddhatha ate (receiving from Sujatha) prior to awakening and it’s tasty, healthy and vegan! (coconut milk in Sri Lankan version)

3 Likes

[quote=“AnagarikaMichael, post:3, topic:5211”]
The author of the recipe mentions she is a fan of Graham Kerr. Is anyone old enough to remember the Galloping Gourmet?[/quote]

Yes, I loved the Galloping Gourmet, especially when things went wrong…

I can remember the programme being a perpetual bone of contention between my little sister and me, for our home had only one TV set and the Galloping Gourmet was aired at the same time as the cartoon version of Georges Remi’s Adventures of Tintin – my sister’s favourite.

:angry:

5 Likes

Bhante, thanks for this; a great memory watching this video!

Like you, I was the oldest (of six), with one TV, and my younger brothers and sisters knew better than to get between me and Graham Kerr. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Milk rice is so good!
Now we just need a recipe for pol sambal and ala hodi too :yum:
Mouth is watering!!

1 Like

hmmm, reading this thread I can see how desire is activated–I don’t even usually think about food nor am I even hungry, LOL. But yum!! :yum:

5 Likes

Oh !
Try " sweet sour chillies with tofu " !

1 Like

Thanks for the idea! Do you know any recipe you can recommend?

Fry brinjal is nice and simple .

2 Likes

Try the link below :

Using string bean .

1 Like

4 Recipe below is simple,
You can try it .

1 Like

Fry brinjal :

Ingredients
• • Small Eggplant/ Kathirikkai – 10
• • Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
• • Curry leaves – 1 sprig
• • Sugar – a pinch
• • Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
• • Onions – 1 medium, sliced
• • Salt – 1 tbsp
• • Oil – 2 tbsp

Instructions
Remove the ends of the eggplant and slice them and soak them in water till you cook.
Heat a wide pan with oil and add mustard seeds. When it crackles and it gets lightly golden brown, add the curry leaves.
Add sliced onions, pinch of sugar, little salt, sauté till they become nicely golden in colour.
Now add the eggplants to it. Add the turmeric powder, required salt and add 2 tbsp of water. Mix it well and cover it for 7-8 minutes.
After 7-8 minutes, open the pan, the water would have evaporated and now mix and turn brinjal so that all sides gets roasted. Cook it uncovered in medium heat till both sides get evenly roasted.
Switch it off and serve with some hot rice and dal.

P/s : add 2 tablespoons of curry powder
And sambar If you prefer spicy .

1 Like

For a sweet and salty taste try kiri-bath with kithul jaggery- a type of rock candy used with it and also used for sweetening tea. Google

Pol sambol -made of coconut

Ala hodi -potato curry

kiri-bath works with any curry dish- try Sri lankan fish or chicken curry, if you are not vegetarian.

1 Like