Anyone read Transcending: Trans Buddhist Voices?

Anyone read Transcending? It’s an anthology of trans Buddhist essays

A compelling collection of the many voices and experiences of trans, genderqueer, and nonbinary Buddhists

Transcending brings together more than thirty contributors from both the Mahayana and Theravada traditions to present a vision for a truly inclusive trans Buddhist sangha in the twenty-first century. Shining a light on a new generation of Buddhist role models, this book gives voice to those who have long been marginalized within the Buddhist world and society at large. While trans, genderqueer, and nonbinary practitioners have experienced empowerment and healing through their commitment to the Buddha, dharma, and sangha, they also share their experiences of isolation, transphobia, and aggression. In this diverse collection we hear the firsthand accounts, thoughts, and reflections of trans Buddhists from a variety of different lineages in an open invitation for all Buddhists to bring the issue of gender identity into the sangha, into the discourse, and onto the cushion. Only by doing so can we develop insight into our circumstances and grasp our true, essential nature.

I finished reading it this week and found it enjoyable and validating. Granted I find some theological disagreements but that seems bound to happen in so large an anthology. Overall I found it worthwhile to read, not earth shattering, although I am also Transgender so that impacts my experience. I’d recommend it to most people, especially those with mixed feelings about trans people in the tradition.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Potato Florence, I’m looking forward to reading that one day. It’s great that Buddhism is starting to understand the experiences of trans people in our community!

You might be interested in this recent video which I posted on another thread:

And in the International Trans Buddhist Sangha on Facebook.

6 Likes

A great and informative video, Bhante. Thanks for posting this. It’s interesting that Michelle found in the EBTs the guidance that she needed to build a foundation of wisdom and courage with respect to her advocacy. I feel that the Forest/EBT tradition can play a very strong and welcoming role generally in mitigating the discrimination and suffering that many feel in Buddhist circles, and it’s great that you are devoting energy and wisdom in this area. No one on this Path should ever suffer simply for who they are.

4 Likes

Hi Bhante, I would really love to offer this book to your vihara in Sydney if that is alright with you. :slight_smile: :pray:

1 Like

That would be amazing @Brenna and would be of great assistance to help in our work with the Buddhist trans* community here. I’ll pm you. Anumodana!

1 Like