Anyone using Safari with SC?

Thanks for the reply @Gillian. Did you see this link on Discourse? @stu has created a wonderful website which has Ajahn Bramhmali’s Pali course files. Can you download them from there?

Of not, I can find them on my hard drive and see if I can send to you via dropbox (though I will have to find out how, I’m hopeless with anythign technical). Let me know.

1 Like

Fantasitic, I’d not seen it. All downloaded to my laptop and randomly checked files opening fine. I’ll worry about getting them to my iPad this evening. Thank you so much @Linda, and I hope you nudge your Safari into working as well as mine does.

Thank you also @stu, for this easy facility.

3 Likes

Just a quick note @Gillian. When you downloaded the audio files, I think that only the first 10 audio files (in two zip files) were available for download. The next 10 are now available (another two zip files). There will be a further 3 (or 4) audio files once we have finished publishing the course, but we are making sure that all of the audio files are as complete and consistent as we can make them before uploading.

Later this year we should have a version of the course which will work just like the website version, but it will be downloadable and available to use offline.

2 Likes

Sorry about the lack of response on this, so far as I know, we haven’t been able to detect any issues at our end. We’re hampered by the fact that none of us uses a Mac device. @aconlan has been looking at the bugs side of things, and perhaps he can help.

We will be doing an upgrade of the site very shortly; it doesn’t specifically address your issues, but who knows?

5 Likes

@sujato
thanks everyone for looking into this, looking forward to seeing if the site upgrade solves the problem. So weird that it was working fine and then presto it’s gone. Hmmm, is this a dhamma lessons…?

3 Likes

@Linda

Looking at the errors, it appears many (possibly all?) Polymer imports are failing to load. Why this would happen on your computer and not @Gillian’s is a bit of a puzzle. I’m also not finding anything significantly similar to this issue with known bugs. Just off hand, I would look at what is different between your OS and Safari versions as compared to hers. Beyond that I’m a bit stuck on this one.

1 Like

Are you using any extensions in Safari? How about security software that is not part of iOS?

1 Like

@aconlan
thanks so much for trying to help with this, really appreciate it. I know next to nothing about anything computer-related so I don’t know what “polymer imports” are. But anyway, the only extension is an adblocker which I’ve always had on. We don’t have any extra securtiy software that is not part of IOS, unless the firewall on the modem-router counts). That is just set at the same thing it always has been, ie. the way it came from Comast, with firewall options IPv4 and IPv6 on at ‘medium’ and ‘typical security’ respectively. But I have no idea if this is what you mean. And we haven’t changed anything since the site was working fine.

Guess I’ll have to see if I can upgrade the OS (or change to using Chrome)…

1 Like

It’s always good to accept the latest OS upgrades, generally keeps things humming along. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Gillian, was SC working on your computer before you upgraded your OS?

I don’t know, cos I mainly use my iPad for SC, plus it is quite a long time since I had the OS version you mention.

1 Like

Hi @Linda,
Sorry for the technical stuff about Polymer. I was partly just thinking “out loud” and partly seeing if anything might occur to Bhante @sujato. The Comcast router should be fine. It’s possible the ad blocker could be creating a conflict but the only way to tell is turn it off. Hopefully the update to the OS will yield something.

1 Like

Yes, generally speaking, turning off all extensions is a good start for debugging.

2 Likes

@aconlan @sujato
Well, turning off the ad blocker made no difference. So it remains a mystery why the site was working fine and now isn’t. :cry: Will let you know if I upgrade and if that solves the problem. Or if anything turns up on your end, let me know…
thanks

3 Likes

@aconlan @sujato

I decided to try SC on my husband’s computer to see if I could open it with Safari. When we typed in suttacentral.net here’s a screen shot of the page that came up

I have no idea what Pootle is but I did try to sign in with my SC passwrod but it didn’t work. Then I decided to search for a specific sutta by typing the number directly into the search bar (which I had never tried before). Lo and behold the page loaded! For example, in the Safari search bar I typed in SuttaCentral and that’s what I got. But it still won’t load if I just try and go to the home page without putting in a specific sutta reference. I either get the ‘Pootle’ page or if I try to access it using my bookmark, it jsut comes up blank.

So a workaround is to go to a specific sutta and then to the home page from there. However that doesn’t solve the problem that when I’m on discourse using Safari, the sutta references do not open. So I’m still stuck with Chrome or using hte legacy site (which to be honest is what I’m using because I find it easier)

I just tried on my computer and the same things happened as reported above.

Anyway, just thought I’d pass on this info in case it gives you any new clues to the Safari bug I’m experiencing.

Thank you Linda. Perhaps @sujato or @blake have seen this before?

1 Like

Yes, actually, Deepika had the same problem, but when she showed me, it was the first time I had seen it. It’s not Safari specific, and has nothing to do with the other Safari issues.

Pootle, by the way, is our translation app.

It occurred after Blake did the recent redirect of domains. Somehow the browser keeps redirecting to Pootle. If you look at the URL, like Deepika’s, it says www.suttacentral.net. We’ve never used www. So somehow this gets into the browser memory and redirects to Pootle instead of the main site.

To deal with this, delete all browser history with www.suttacentral.net. @blake, we have to make sure that the redirect is fixed.

2 Likes

Dear Bhante @sujato
Any ideas re: the second point

Then I decided to search for a specific sutta by typing the number directly into the search bar (which I had never tried before). Lo and behold the page loaded! For example, in the Safari search bar I typed in SuttaCentral and that’s what I got. But it still won’t load if I just try and go to the home page without putting in a specific sutta reference… So a workaround is to go to a specific sutta and then to the home page from there. However that doesn’t solve the problem that when I’m on discourse using Safari, the sutta references do not open.

Can you give me an exact example of this?

@sujato
for example, in a post I recently wrote

and somewhat the flip side to what @Christopher suggested, there’s AN 5.198:

The link to AN 5.198 doesn’t work for me if I’m using Discourse on Safari. This seems to be the case with any sutta reference someone posts.

What do you think about the other curious thing, i.e. that if using Safari, I type a specific sutta number in the address bar SC will open to that page, but if I just type suttacentral.net, it won’t?

thanks