Are plant and the inanimate a being, are they involved in rebirth?

You might find it helpful to explore the 31 planes of existence described in the suttas.

in advaita Vedanta plant and inanimate object are beings for example when you focus on your broom during death you will become that broom

I think itā€™s either you become being that hosts that broom or you become one with that broom

now regarding hell we can infer that thereā€™s no way these childrenā€™s past life is in hell because if your previous life is in hell your future life would not be human life you would at least be an animal or hungry ghost

but these childrenā€™s 1000th or more past life could be in hell or plant or inanimate object

this could explain why none of these children tell they are plant or inanimate object or in hell

I think you need to regress further, itā€™s because you donā€™t regress further you are trapped in wrong view for example in dn1 a meditator regressed not further from when he was brahma this experience makes him embrace eternalism so the more we regress the more we would have avoided potential wrong view

also during regression if you refute rebirth these memories wonā€™t be unlocked not all regression could succeed especially those YouTube guided regressions this is called mental block

if from the start you refute you can be reborn as plant or inanimate object or in hell no matter what the therapist do they wouldnā€™t be able to unlock that memory at least you should be agnostic regarding those concept

Just adding my opinion about the scientific research of reincarnation here. I donā€™t think the kind of reincarnation studied by Ian Stevenson and other researchers in the field is the same with Buddhist kind of rebirth. The first reason is the birthmark which corresponds to wound of previous individual is unknown in the Buddhist concept of rebirth because thereā€™s no rebirth case in the Buddhist texts which mention about the birthmark carried from previous life.

Second, the Buddhist texts never mentions about children spontaneously remembered his/her past life (and the past life memory is gradually lost after they grown up). The Buddhist notion of rebirth only says that beings born spontaneously (opapatika), for example, gods, hell beings, and hungry ghosts, can remember their past life without developing this ability with meditation training.

Third, the reincarnation cases studied by those researchers seems not involving karma (the cause and effect of action), whereas Buddhist rebirth is always tied with the notion of karma. Not mentioning that the reincarnation cases didnā€™t record past life memory as animal (and gods or other supernatural beings, but of course this cannot be verified scientifically).

While I accept Buddhist concept of rebirth in its literal sense, I donā€™t think it can be proved by those research. Neither it can be proved by past life regression. The Buddha teaching stresses on ā€œto be realised by oneselfā€ (paccattaį¹ƒ veditabbo) and it is our individual burden to prove the Buddhist rebirth with our meditation training (as mentioned in the suttas about how the Buddha and his disciples realised their past life memory).

2 Likes

Lots of things not mentioned in the sutta. Handful of leaves.

Like how the universe was hot when it is at the beginning of the expansion phase.

Doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s not the best match.

Itā€™s far simpler to just map it to rebirth as natural phenomena instead of splitting up: this is Buddhist rebirth, thatā€™s not Buddhist rebirth.

From the cases, it can be inferred that one life is not enough to see kamma, even 2 lives are not enough to see kamma in action.

In the sutta, itā€™s stated that need divine eye to see many past lives of many people before the pattern of kamma becomes manifest.

Yes, ultimately the ultimate experiments is personal past life recall.

Like donā€™t believe they discovered gravitational waves, go build our own LIGO and then we can verify it ourselves by doing the experiment ourselves.

In the meantime, having enough trust in the scientific method, reading the results of other peopleā€™s experiment is sufficient to believe in the existence of gravitational waves, higgs boson etc. Similarly for the rebirth cases. Enough for trust, faith. For direct seeing, itā€™s direct recollection.

2 Likes

plr is direct seeing direct realization by oneself you can even do self plr using guided YouTube video

What I mean is rebirth is field of belief, which canā€™t be proved or disproved by scientific method. Buddhist belief has different approach from scientific method and also different purpose. The Buddhist method is personal direct experience and we donā€™t need to justify our belief with scientific research.

3 Likes

Yes, and in any case the scientific method is quite different to the Buddhist method. Buddhism assumes certain things to be true, and then ā€œworks backwardsā€, using techniques designed to confirm those assumptions.

2 Likes

Hmmmā€¦

In terms of other fields of science like the physics and Buddhism one I am working on, yes. I agree.

In terms of just acknowledging rebirth as fact of nature, I think everyone should look at the rebirth cases until it becomes accepted reality of the world.

These rebirth evidences are independent of Buddhism, not commissioned by Buddhists to alter the results of findings.

They are empirical, so basically people can advance many theories, including mind reading, ghost possession, reincarnation hindu style of Buddhist rebirth.

They are objectively verified, so it at the very minimum destroys the physicalist/materialism worldview that thereā€™s nothing after death. Because of their assumption that the mind dies with the brain. And no mechanism for the mind to continue in any form.

Itā€™s especially the last part which is helpful for those stuck in the materialism worldview to abandon their worldview. If they want to be super conservative, they can indeed explore other possibilities, maybe have a conflict of interest between Buddhism, Jainism or Hinduism and even some birzzare new age religion.

But given that the secular Buddhists already has vested interest in Buddhism, abandoning the worldview of physicalism allows them to fully embrace Buddhism as a matter of faith with evidences.

As mentioned, it is still not direct knowledge, but it does help to increase the faculty of faith, which is 2 out of 37 factors of enlightenment.

I hope this is clearer now of why I push so much for rebirth evidences.

Even Buddhists who have faith in rebirth already should read the cases. So that thereā€™s a clearer manner to not just say one believes this due to revelation from sutta or by logical analysis, or merely faith towards the Buddha. But thereā€™s a lot of independent, objectively verified sources of rebirth cases. Empirical evidences. Like the sciences which the secularists generally likes. Donā€™t use worldview to judge the data. Use data to judge the worldview.

4 Likes

ā€˜Bend the faith to fit the factsā€™ as Ajahn Brahm says, not the other way around :grin:

4 Likes