Are we ever bad at observing the Uposatha

Here’s a link for a good Dhammayut (the other Thai sect) uposatha calendar:

https://dharma-records.buddhasasana.net/notices/uposatha-calendars-2018

Thanks for that. I like how it shows several traditions, all in one place.

It should be noted that:

1. The .ical file I linked to above conforms to Thai Maha Nikaya calculations for placing when the full moons/new moons/half moons are. That’s the tradition I ordained into.
  2. The one-page calendar linked to above shows the Maka Nikaya calculations primarily (denoted with larger moon symbols), but shows the more precise astrological (as in, when these events truly occur up in the sky) moon calculations secondarily, as little footnote-sized moon symbols.

Here’s sort of what the next Uposatha full moon will look like, up in the sky, as seen in Stellarium (In my location, it will be below the horizon, shown by the green line, and unfortunately during a time of sunlight, but Stellarium can “cheat” and show it to me, anyway):

The zodiac signs give you a sense of what part of the sky is getting looked at.

2 Likes

There’s an “Uposatha Observance Club” over on Dhammawheel.

2 Likes

Can someone explain how to read this calendar

I have been trying to find the most precise information on how to keep uposatha on the proper days, according to the time of the Buddha (I assume which would be ideal)

This thread was very informative Uposatha Observance Days According to the Suttas & Vinaya

In accordance with the vinaya quote I keep the 8th, 14th and 15th. Also the second fortnight after the Chinese lantern festival

Sorry it’s not true that the Buddha was not a friend of rituals. He taught that sīlabbataparāmāsa was a fetter, which does not merely equate to ‘rituals’

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the reminder Bhante

I’m learning that with rituals we can impress the subconscious mind. It’s very necessary. And Buddha knew it. The way he is decribing the gods might be to modern spiritualist garbage. But it doesn’t matter that you believe. See it as saying a way to impress the mind so as to keep the mind interested in keeping that day holy because hey this sounds good.

But I see sun and moon being mentioned. Which is light and darkness. Good and Evil. Buddha and Mara. Subconscious mind and conscious mind.

The symbolism of full moon is that of Middle Path which brings us to what we want(Happiness) that is subconscious mind connecting with the conscious mind. The sun light to moon. So monks do walking meditation on full moon to ground themselves. The two feet on the ground presents the duality again. And grounding the right way will depolarize yourself. I’m saying this. But now I understand why I experienced my meditation better while I was around Sri Lanka Vesak celebration. Been walking barefoot. So depolarization is making that circuit in you body so as to connect the Earth with the Mind. Giving bliss faster. That’s why thinking heavenly is just a way to impress the subconscious mind. Which is the light of consciousness. :sunny:

The problem with the lunisolar calendar is that it’s not universal. It works when you live in the tropics, but not once you venture outside the tropics towards the poles.

The system of timekeeping which is popular today has the virtue of working really decently no matter where you are on Earth, not just the tropics. All our gadgets operate by it.

1 Like

According to The Great Tang Records on the Western Regions, written by Xuanzang in the 7th century, The term ‘神變月’ refers to the 1st to the 15th day of the 1th month of the Chinese calendar. It is the Lantern Festival and the fortnight before.

Hi pearlfish,

Welcome to the D&D forum! We hope you enjoy the various resources, FAQs, and previous threads. You can use the search function for topics and keywords you are interested in. Forum guidelines are here: Forum Guidelines. May some of these resources be of assistance along the path.

If you have any questions or need further clarification regarding anything, feel free to contact the moderators by including @moderators in your post or a PM.

Regards,
Danny (on behalf of the moderators)

2 Likes