Article on 'Civic honesty around the globe' and the motivation behind it

I have just read this article https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2019/06/19/science.aau8712 which I thought I’d share here. The findings are also covered in The Guardian and The Economist.
I don’t have the time to write in detail about the paper, but one interesting finding is that people seem to be motivated by a ‘combination of altruistic concerns and an aversion to viewing oneself as a thief, which increase with the material benefits of dishonesty.’ Altruistic concerns alone cannot explain all the findings, it seems that something like the shame of doing wrong and not wanting to view oneself as a thief is a strong motive behind honest behaviour.
Other interesting findings include the fact that Norway, @Brahmali 's country, is one of the most honest countries in the world (though Thailand unfortunately isn’t).
Another finding I read in The Guardian is that people in the Vatican which were tested in the experiment did not behave honestly.

2 Likes

Good survey.
My biggest surprise was China and United Arab Emerates.
In Arabian countries they will cut your gingers or hand for stealing. This punishement seems to be ineffective.
China!!! I don’t want to say anty thing.
I wonder why Japan was not there. I think the highest hoensty is in Japan.

It also better to note that any money in a public building or a private premises are belong to that person. Even the money is lying on the floor.
In Australia an Aboriginal elder was prosecuted for picking a ten cents in a public building.

I think USA is the worst. I left my umbrella in a toilet. I walked 100 meteres and came back and the umbrella was missing!!

1 Like

Yes, I was also wondering about Japan.
Another thing I found interesting about the article is the finding that the stronger motivation behind people’s behaviour in these experiments was ‘do not steal’ rather than ‘be atruistic’; and this is in agreement with how the second precept is phrased.

1 Like