Attha Suttam - What is beneficial?

Generally, we translate Anatta as not-self.
Interestingly there is a specific Sutta which explains what Atta means.
It appears Anatta means un-benificial not " not-self".

See no 4:

http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/4Anguttara-Nikaya/Anguttara6/10-dasakanipata/014-sadhuvaggo-e.html

This matter was discussed in Dhamma Wheel but unfortunately, it came to an abrupt end due to non-participation.

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26749&start=20#p421163

1 Like

Attha =/= atta

What is the meaning of =/= ?

Does not equal.

Hi SarathW1!

I also checked the Pali text of the Sutta, and there is no mention of ‘atta’ at all, just attha.

I downloaded the Pure Dhamma book where Venerable’s arguments are listed and further developed. Right now, I may tell you that equating atta with attha (using the modern Sinhala meaning of all things!) is mind-bogglingly bad linguistics, it is just so bad one can only facepalm, so I presume you meant the post in a humorous way :slight_smile: I will definitely read the book for a good laugh and therapeutic eye-rolling. If you want to find out why it is so bad just look up the etymological data for attan and attha in the Pali Text Society’s Pali-English Dictionary.

3 Likes

Thanks.
Can you give briefly how you understand these two terms in the two Sutta context?
Attha Sutta and Anatta lakhana Sutta.

Not sure if you are asking me, so just in case I’ll answer :slight_smile: The lexical meaning is explained the Pali Text Society’s Dictionary. I am no Pali scholar, so I cannot say if the explanations can be approved upon, but they make sense, and even my relatively sparse knowledge of Dhamma ad Pali tells me that the Pure Dhamma interpretation is linguistically pure nonsense. As for the doctrinal exegesis, I would say that the Attha Sutta is pretty straightforward: ‘These things are good for you, so strive for these things,’ while you can write quite a lengthy book on the Anattalakkhana Sutta as it deals with the non-self doctrine.

2 Likes