Bhante Sujato Course: "The Way to the Beyond: A Study of the Pārāyanavagga"

Earlier Bhante did a course on the Atthakavagga and now Bhante will do another course on the Parayanavagga. Starting from July 13th (or 14th depending on timezone), on Zoom, for free.

2022-07-14T02:30:00Z2022-07-14T03:30:00Z

Register :point_down:

17 Likes

Thanks,
Regarding the times that are posted, what time zone did you use – so folks can convert to their time zone

1 Like

Times are automagically shown in your local timezone. Click on the times above to display them in your local timezone, original timezone, and UTC.

To enter times / dates that adjust to current user’s local timezone automatically use Insert date / time tool in the composer (top right, small calendar button).

5 Likes

Thanks! :pray:
Have determined the appropriate time to log on.

Excellent! A talk from Bhante I will be able to watch live!

For those of us who couldn’t attend the first class, it is already on YouTube:

Sujato Bhikkhu - Week 1: The Way to the Beyond: A Study of the Pārāyanavagga

9 Likes

Wow. Sati Center seems super organised. You can also go to the series on AudioDharma: AudioDharma - The Way to the Beyond: A Study of the Pārāyanavagga, which gives audio, and also links to the YouTube videos

The first session was mostly about the framing story of SNP5.1 As I understood it, the next three weeks are planned to cover about 1/3 of the 16 questions each.

If you missed it, Bhikkhu Sujato spoke a little about the background story, and the closing homage, last year:
http://www.berrywood.de/mic/archive/mic-2021.html
Scroll down to:
08.10.2021 – Meditation on generosity, guided by Bhante Akāliko. Dhamma talk by Bhante Sujato on his translation of the Sutta Nipata. Story of Bāvari from the Pārāyanavagga (Snp 5): The Way to the Beyond.

7 Likes

Bhante @Sujato, I had a slightly technical question about this passage from SNP5.1: SuttaCentral

Not eating, he grew emaciated,
Ussussati anāhāro,
stricken by the dart of sorrow.
Sokasallasamappito;
And in such a state of mind,
Athopi evaṁ cittassa,
he could not enjoy absorption.
Jhāne na ramatī mano.

Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation is essentially the same: “Then, in such a state of mind,
he did not delight in meditation.”

Does this last line imply being in some sort of absorption that is not enjoyable (which sounds odd), or should we understand it as: “he could not enjoy absorption [because he could not become absorbed]”

Sujato Bhikkhu - Week 2: The Way to the Beyond: A Study of the Pārāyanavagga

5 Likes

Indeed, I think the latter.

In such cases, it is not always clear whether jhana means literally the four jhanas, or simply “meditation”. However as we see multiple times in the 16 questions, they did seem to be practicing jhanas, and even formless attainments.

1 Like

Thanks! Had to miss out on last nights, covid had me a bit under :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, I was a bit under too! Not covid, but I’ve had a cold. Old age and sickness, amirite!

2 Likes

Sujato Bhikkhu - Week 3: The Way to the Beyond: A Study of the Pārāyanavagga

6 Likes

I created a separate topic for some discussion:

5 Likes

And the last one in the series.

Sujato Bhikkhu - Week 4: The Way to the Beyond: A Study of the Pārāyanavagga

7 Likes

By the way, someone asked for the recordings of the course on Jayatilleke’s book, Early Buddhist Theory of Knowledge. You can find it here (this is number 1 of 5):

4 Likes