Bhavarāgānusayo: desire for what exactly

Psychogenic death is an extremely unique and rare condition, where the individual, usually following some traumatic experience, loses what Schopenhauer used to call the will to life, and becomes entirely disinterested in life and living to the extent of actually dying involuntarily and without committing suicide. This bears many similarities but also marked differences with relation to the manner with which we, too, embark on a journey of estrangement and dispassion with regard to life. Theirs is a loss of every motivation, whereas our journey is driven by a spiritual motivation to realise a transcendental state of freedom. Their symptoms are characterised by numbness to pleasure and pain, whereas ours is characterised by transcendence of reactionary feelings. Theirs is a loss of consciousness and self-awareness, whereas ours is the purification of consciousness and total independence and agility of self-awareness. Such is the distinction between a mundane alienation from bhava, and a transcendental one; it is the difference between a disease caused by extreme suffering, and a healing potion that transcends suffering!

3 Likes

Twelve Nidanas

27%20AM

I’m having difficulty pulling this compound word apart. I get bhava and rāgā but can’t make good sense of the rest.

1 Like

The final compound member is anusaya- ‘tendency, predisposition’.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was an excellent thread to read through!

Much mettā.
:anjal:

5 Likes

Please clarify how bhava is the answer to these questions:

What is it that mobilises this dog to behave in this way? What’s in it for the dog, to expend its metabolic energy on such wasteful, purposeless activity? And more over, what is it that diminishes the wellbeing and flourishing of the dog if it was to be deprived of such playful life and living?

2 Likes

Sensual lust is “Kama-taṇhā”. For example the craving for ice-cream.

I think it is the craving for continued existence generally, which could include future lives. Even an existence without ice-cream. :yum:

:sweat:

1 Like

Delight…

…is the root of suffering. –mn1/en/bodhi

Bhava my tail, 'round 'n 'round we go.

Dogs have tails. Why do we work and pay gyms to run on their treadmills?

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification!