Bhikkhu Bodhi on Nibbāna

Like many strategies to posit something after parinibbāna, you’re ignoring the death of an arahant. There’s a big difference before and after death.

Nothingness, total cessation. No arising, ceasing, change is seen in total nothingness, not even perception of nothingness, which is the attainment of formless nothingness realm. No seeing, no thinking, no knowing etc.

I hope you wouldn’t disagree that when a candle is deprived of oxygen, it goes out. Not just that the causality is imputed by the mind, therefore by letting go of this concept, the candle can still burn without oxygen.

Because this is what I see your argument against nothing after parinibbāna is. That the 5 aggregates, 6 sense bases still goes on after death of arahant, because the concept of rebirth, death, etc has been destroyed by arahant, therefore they are not conceptually bounded by these concepts, so whatever happens to the 5 aggregates, 6 sense bases doesn’t count as real rebirth, death etc.

Are you arguing along these lines?

@Green This quote of Ajahn Char underpins some of the points that you have made.

About this mind… in truth there is nothing really wrong with it. It is intrinsically pure. Within itself it’s already peaceful. That the mind is not peaceful these days is because it follows moods. The real mind doesn’t have anything to it, it is simply [an aspect of] Nature. It becomes peaceful or agitated because moods deceive it. The untrained mind is stupid. Sense impressions come and trick it into happiness, suffering, gladness, and sorrow, but the mind’s true nature is none of those things. That gladness or sadness is not the mind, but only a mood coming to deceive us. The untrained mind gets lost and follows these things, it forgets itself. Then we think that it is we who are upset or at ease or whatever.

But really this mind of ours is already unmoving and peaceful… really peaceful! Just like a leaf which is still as long as no wind blows. If a wind comes up the leaf flutters. The fluttering is due to the wind—the “fluttering” is due to those sense impressions; the mind follows them. If it doesn’t follow them, it doesn’t “flutter.” If we know fully the true nature of sense impressions we will be unmoved.

Our practice is simply to see the Original Mind. We must train the mind to know those sense impressions, and not get lost in them; to make it peaceful. Just this is the aim of all this difficult practice we put ourselves through.

~ Ajahn Chah, Food for the Heart

1 Like

Not in the language of the early discourses, where the aggregates and six senses are specifically said to exist.

Form that is impermanent, suffering, and subject to change: this the wise in the world agree upon as existing, and I too say that it exists. [Same for other aggregates.] (SN22.94)

Something like this is never said in case of a self.

Again, not in the language of the early discourses. The Buddha actually used the same terms as annihilationists (uccheda & vibhava, both meaning ‘annihilation’) but with regards to the aggregates or existence; for the annihilationists it always refers to a self.

“He understands as it really is: ‘Form will be exterminated (or annihilated)’ … ‘Feeling will be exterminated’ … ‘Perception will be exterminated’ … ‘Volitional formations will be exterminated’ … ‘Consciousness will be exterminated.’ (SN22.55)

2 Likes

Here’s another aspect of annihilationism not, apparently, known about by anyone here and so not considered.

This is again from Ādi Śaṅkarācārya’s commentary on the TU, but I don’t think this should be taken lightly, since Purva Mimamsa is almost certainly the oldest of the darsana, and is the “grammatical school,” so it likely predates Buddhism.

Obviously this discussion is similar to the faith vs. good works debate in Christianity, and I am sure by intention.

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 9.56.05 PM

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 10.03.03 PM

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 10.03.59 PM

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 10.05.00 PM

May be it makes little sense because of the way you think about sanna etc.

I don’t know if this will makes sense. For example, upatthita photthabba ayatana ākāra gahana nature is called photthabba sanna. photthabba ayatana is not a mental creation, something imagined.

Can it be said on that occasion that the upatthita photthabba ayatana and photthabba ayatana phusana vedana , sanna etc dhammas as samvijjati. Yes, but not in the same way an ordinary person uses such words.

Just some thoughts.

So, annihilationists proclaim the destruction of the Self after death? Ie. there is no rebirth. Ie. there is only non-existence for the Self?

The eternalists proclaim the continuation of the Self after death. Ie. there is rebirth. Ie. there is only existence for the Self?

Where does the Buddha stand on this? No Self? Therefore no destruction nor continuation? And yet there is rebirth? And yet it it only by giving up the conceit of “I am” that one is liberated from birth and death?

1 Like

Good summary.

From when I was a beginner I already see this as the middle path between the two extremes.

Eternalists are like the God believers who believe in eternal heaven or hell after death.

Annihilationists are like the materialist atheists who believe in nothing after death automatically.

Middle way is to see that the ignorance, conceit, self view (all which are not self), causes rebirth which only ceases when the causes ceases completely.

1 Like

I believe mind has two aspects, like the sea: Waves (movement), and a deep mind-base (stilled, peaceful).

Vinnana is that what we experience as perceptions coming and going. Formations. Greed arise, greed ceases and there is an awareness of this arising. Anger arises, anger cease. Thoughts arise, thought ceases. Plans arise, plans cease. Tendencies arise and cease, etc.

Vinnana’s refer to the movement aspect of the mind, the waves. That what is seen arising and ceasing and changing, sankhata. This one aspect of mind.

At the same time there is the deep stilled mind base. When formations gradually cease, and mind becomes still, minds base becomes more visible, as it were, as: empty, stilled, desireless, uninclined, peaceful. It is not seen arising, ceasing and changing like a formation is. This stillness, this peace does not have the characteristic of a formation coming and going, right?

Nor formations coming and going (vinnana’s) nor the peace what is not seen coming and going (minds base) must be grasped at as me, mine, my self. Delighting in the peacefulness of minds base, welcoming it, for example delighting in the equanimous base of neither perception nor non perception (MN106), is the arupa raga and hinders to arrive at the sublime supreme peace of Nibbana which has no clinging at all. Not clinging to what is seen arising nor at what is not seen arising and ceasing, that is the sublime and supreme peace of Nibbana. Absence of all clinging.

I do not believe one must think about this sublime supreme peace of Nibbana as belonging to a khandha. It is beyond. I also do not believe that the sutta’s teach that it ceases at the death of an arahant. The sublime supreme peace of Nibbana roots nowhere. It is not here nor there. If there is no grasping at all, there is still peace and not nothing.

But all peace that one mentally sees and knows, recognises, feels, senses, perceives, with the mental sense, i.e. peace as object of mental vinnana, that peace is grasped and is not the sublime supreme peace of Nibbana. The sublime peace of Nibbana is not really felt or perceived. That is i believe, why Sariputta said that when nothing is felt nor perceived that is ulimate happiness. There is only the sublime supreme peace of Nibbana at that moment but not as something that is felt or perceived but more like mind is now fully submerged in her own peaceful nature.

Probably to talk about Nibbana as a sublime supreme peace, like the sutta’s often do, is less controversial then talking about it as citta, as bare awareness, the deathless, although, i believe, it refers to the same.

I like to be believe that the sutta’s do not teach that this peace ends at the death of the arahant.
Ofcourse this relies on sutta’s. Peace is called imperishable state, and also in the sutta’s as everlasting.
I have made a reference to them in this serie of post earlier.

I feel this all nicely aligns with Buddha’s search. He did not search for something that in the end will also cease. This sublime supreme peace of Nibbana was the home, the stable, the constant, the not-desintegrating he searched and found. The deathless. It is also the end of rebirth.

I appreciate you for being very clear and honest and not deluded on your motivation to find an interpretation of nibbāna as not total cessation for the sake of you still believing in a self.

Also, your idea about waves and sea is like atman and brahman in hinduism. For Buddhism, the sea disappears. The earth, universe, even mind totally disappears all gone. Even perception of it is gone.

Yes, i understand you see it this way, but believing in asankhata is just not the same as believing in atta. The sublime supreme peace of Nibbana is asankhata but not atta. It is also not me, mine, my self.
Peace is just peace.

I understand this message of the Buddha.

That is your interpretation but sutta’s do not teach this. They teach the peace of Nibbana as everlasting and as imperishable. The sutta’s also consequently teach that Buddha teaches a Path to the constant, the stable, the not-desintegrating (i see that as the peace of Nibbana). For me, it just irrational to believe that the Buddha here talks about a path to mere cessation situation.

In fact, for me, the whole of Buddha’s teachings is not about an atta and brahman but only about seeing things as they really are. That is what the hearts sets free. That is what liberates. I do not talk about an atta, nor an atta joining a brahman.

The clue of buddhism is seeing all as it is. And the whole of sankhata and asankhhata are anatta.
if this is really seen, ofcourse not intellectually, then one is really knowledgable in Dhamma.

I also do not see why people are so resistant to admit that the sublime supreme peace of Nibbana is said to be everlasting and imperishable in the sutta’s and are so resistant to admit they talk about an unborn, unbecome etc.

The cause of that ignorance which ceases completely is craving. Not the onset of death. Not a “total nothingness” as you’ve stated below.

I’d be partial even to say that within a “total nothingness” craving can still exist and thus so can the conditionality of dependent origination. The Buddha has even indicated as much with regard to rebirth in the realm of nothingness.

DN 1

This is very much your interpretation of @Green’s analogy but it is not his meaning.

In his analogy the ocean belongs to no-one. As Ajahn Char says above, it is just Nature. It always has been and always will be.

I would also say that I too am a cessationist, if you define cessation as the end of suffering and its causes. In order to attain Nibbana, cessation is essential. However, cessation is achieved by purifying the heart through Sila, Samadhi and Panna. When the heart is completely cleansed of defilements, the cessation of the causes of suffering occurs simultaneously. What remains is pure heart. The heart, however, belongs to no-one. It never has and never will do. It is not my heart. All notion of self is absent. All notion of time and space is absent. This is not atman but is pure anatta.

2 Likes

Bhikkhus, when a bhikkhu considers six benefits, it is enough for him to establish the unlimited perception of suffering in all conditioned phenomena. What six? (1) 'The perception of disenchantment will be established in me toward all conditioned phenomena, as toward a murderer with uplifted dagger. (2) My mind will rise up from the entire world, (3) I will see nibbana as peaceful. (4) My underlying tendencies will be uprooted. (5) I will be one who has done his task. And (6) I will have served the Teacher with loving-kindness. "Bhikkhus, when a bhikkhu considers these six benefits, it is enough for him to establish the unlimited perception of suffering in all conditioned phenomena.
(AN6.103)

The sutta’s constant talk about Nibbana in a positive way as the sublime supreme peace. Nibbana is called the peak of peace (MN143). The supreme noble peace is the pacification of lust, hate, and delusion.(MN140)

Buddha was seeking the wholesome, the supreme state of supreme peace(MN26) He realized that the Dhamma of his teachers did not lead to this supreme peace. Buddha found the Dhamma that is this supreme peace, and he said: 'This Dhamma that I have attained is profound, hard to see and hard to understand, peaceful and sublime, unattainable by mere reasoning, subtle, to be experienced by the wise. (MN26)

This is not about the teachings but about the Dhamma that is this sublime and supreme peace of Nibbana.

Anuruddha saw the death of the Buddha like this:

'No breathing in and out - just with steadfast heart
The Sage who’s free from lust has passed away to peace.
With mind unshaken he endured all pains:
By Nibbana the Illumined’s mind is freed.(DN16)
(note, freed not ceased)

Apparantly some believe that passing away to peace refers to ‘the peace’ of non-existence?
That is the kind of peace that is not beyond reasoning and logic and will never be experienced by the wise, nor by anyone else. I do not see why this makes sense to people.

Anyway, I see Nibbana, detachment, absence of clinging, dispassion also as peaceful. And peace is not like some conditioned phenomena seen arising and ceasing and changing.

You can say an illusion exists, on some level. That doesn’t make it real though. Since everything we experience is dependently arisen, you can’t say it objectively exists. You can’t say the aggregates or 6 senses are mind-independent, because a dhamma cannot have two contradictory natures. The aggregates and 6 senses are dependently originated, and so they are empty and like an illusion. Final nibbāna then isn’t total cessation, because we can’t even speak of cessation. Far from being later, the Prajñāpāramitā presents the correct exegesis of the Buddha’s Dhammas IMO.

1 Like

Put it this way, you never directly perceive “causality”. Even David Hume pointed this out. What you actually observe are a conjunction of events, from which you mentally fabricate “cause”. Now I would go further, via Buddhist analysis. I would say, as the Abhidhamma argues too, that what we directly experience are qualities. We experiences “hot” and “yellow” etc. From these raw qualities the mind (mano) then fabricates abstract and concrete nouns such as “causality” or “candle flame”. As the suttas say, the 5 senses have mind as their chief. Since these nouns are in our mind however, since our mind created them, how are they real? How are they objective? How are they mind independent? They aren’t. They are dependent, not independent. They depend on mind. Going further still, and this is where the Abhidhamma disagrees with me, the qualities themselves are they too real? No. How is it we experience qualities? Because of labelling (sañjānāti). It is us who labels things as this or that. We make the distinctions in our mind, and then convince ourselves they are real. Furthermore these qualities are in a dependent, a relative, relationship with each other. Like tall and short, so is hot and cold. Like tall and short, we can’t say that one is objectively real over the other since it depends on a point of view and, as I say, in the end it is us who makes the distinction. Just like the emptiness of substance then, so to is there emptiness of essence, of individual things. All is empty of independent (and so objective and real) existence and of individuality, of being distinct one from the other. There are no independently real things to speak of, and there are no distinct dhammas to speak of ultimately. Realising that is nibbāna, IMO.

Because this is what I see your argument against nothing after parinibbāna is. That the 5 aggregates, 6 sense bases still goes on after death of arahant, because the concept of rebirth, death, etc has been destroyed by arahant, therefore they are not conceptually bounded by these concepts, so whatever happens to the 5 aggregates, 6 sense bases doesn’t count as real rebirth, death etc.

Are you arguing along these lines?

Not at all. See above.

1 Like

That only leads to non-return. The sense of atta, of true existence, is still lurking there.

I associate your words with this:

"Perceiving in terms of signs, beings
take a stand on signs.
Not fully comprehending signs, they
come into the bonds
of death.
But fully comprehending signs, one
doesn’t construe a signifier.
Touching liberation with the heart,
the state of peace unsurpassed,
consummate in terms of signs,
peaceful,
delighting in the peaceful state,
judicious,
an attainer-of-wisdom
makes use of classifications
but can’t be classified. Iti63, Thanissaro)
See for reference:
Iti 63: Addhāsutta—John D. Ireland (suttacentral.net)
Iti 63: Addhāsutta—Bhikkhu Sujato (suttacentral.net)

1 Like

I find it against the suttas to give up causality. Inference is a big thing in the suttas, used by Sariputta to infer that all buddhas in the past and future can at most be equal to the current Buddha.

Buddha asked if he investigated the minds of the Buddhas, he said no, but by inference he declared it. Hume is all against inference and the general scientific community is also against adopting that philosophy.

Let’s use this as a starting point, arahants while alive still see, hear using 6 sense contacts, after death, since you deny cessation, do they still see, hear, have 6 sense contacts?

I know there’s a number of ways you can avoid answering this, so just use the illusion of seeing appear if you like and does it still appear? If you don’t like the word exist etc.

Don’t go out by denying personhood just because I used conventional speech to refer to Arahant. Don’t avoid by questioning the concept of death, by which I would refer to the break up of the aggregates, or the event which happened to buddha in dn16.

Just answer yes, there’s still 6 sense contacts or no, no more.

The sutta’s talk about Nibbana in a positive way as peace, the sublime supreme peace. The Buddha teaches the bliss of this peace. This peace was the kind of happiness he sought not the happiness of the senses or of temporary states.

Seeing views without adopting any, searching, I saw inner peace (Snp4.9)

A mendicant would find peace inside themselves,
and not seek peace from another.
For one at peace inside themselves,
there’s no picking up, whence putting down?

Just as, in the mid-ocean deeps
no waves arise, it stays still
so too one unstirred is still—
a mendicant would not swell with pride at all
Snp4.14

So, also the Buddha uses this simile of the sea to talk about different aspect of the mind.
Surface…stirred, coming and going
Depth…unstirred, still

I believe this peace is never seen arising and ceasing and changing and is called seeing the asankhata element or aspect, in the sutta’s.

I do not think that it can be seen as khandha or as some calm state of mind.

I feel peace is the element of no-change we experience. It is the one constant, stable.

I believe that we tend to ignore this peace or take it for granted, while a Buddha fully knows it, and has seen its depth, its wondrous nature. The Path to the Unconditioned is a Path to Peace.
But peace also must be seen as not me, mine, my self.

Fully understanding this peace.

It’s important to specify what is meant by ‘self.’ In English-speaking Buddhist discourse, this word easily gets thrown around in all sorts of ways. But it often refers to very different kinds of things.

In the EBTs, ‘attā’ is also used in a variety of ways. But in the main philosophical sense, it means a permanent or unconditioned substance, essence, or experience that is independent of other things. If this is understood, a lot of confusion can be dispelled.

For example, the idea that a permanent consciousness remains but that it is “not personal” or owned by anyone, is still positing an attā as far as the teachings of the early texts are concerned. Because ‘attā’ in this context doesn’t mean the concept or notion of a sense of self/‘ego,’ but means the unconditioned reality/essence mentioned above. ‘Anattā’ is generally the crowning point derived from anicca, dukkha, and paticcasamuppāda. Even in the Anattalakkhana Sutta, the argument goes that if form were attā we would be able to exert control over how it is at will and it would be only sukha. But because form is dependently originated and dukkha, it is anattā.

That doesn’t mean that form can exist as an eternal “impersonal” thing. It means that it is dependently originated, dukkha, and impermanent, and so therefore it is liable to cease and should not to be taken up or appropriated with a sense of self. In other words, ‘ego/sense of self’ is the psychological effect/outcome that comes from having an ontological/metaphysical belief or notion of a permanent, independent thing (attā). Or independent substance in general, including if it is impermanent (i.e. the view of annihilationists, that the self is destroyed).

So, in terms of the existence of the khandhas vs. the attā. We do experience, for example, form in existence. So we could say that, obviously, form exists. ‘Exist’ here is what others would call ‘conventionally exists,’ in that it does not have a separate existing substance to form, but it too is a temporary, dependently arisen and conditional experience. But we can designate an actual experience of ‘form’ as a classification or way of categorizing experience in samsāra.

Nonetheless, when we break it down, ‘form’ does not exist as an independent substance. It too is a conditional experience. But the suttas never claim otherwise, so claiming that the temporary, conditional arising of ‘form’ exists is no problem. It’s claiming that form is an independent substance that is a problem, because this amounts to an attā which leads to a sense of self and craving/upādāna which leads to continued existence and rebirth in samsāra.

On the other hand, we cannot designate an actual experience of ‘attā.’ Because it is impossible to experience a permanent, unconditioned essence. The very nature of conscious experience is that it is dependently arisen and temporary, so to experience a permanent ‘object’ cannot happen. This means that people misperceive and miscosntrue what are conditional, temporary experiences by believing that they are experiencing an essence/substance/core unconditioned reality. But that experience is not actually that idea; the idea is not actually the ‘attā,’ it’s just the notion of an attā.

In other words, because ‘attā’ in the early discourses would refer to something that is permanent and unconditioned, we cannot talk of the temporary conditional arising of the ‘attā’ in experience. That is a contradiction in terms. And so the discourses would not say that obviously ‘attā’ exists.

This means that the idea or concept can be said to obviously exist. And this is clearly done in the early discourses. Even the notion of a personal individual, like arahants saying ‘I/mine’ or saying ‘The Buddha saw X’ etc. is recognized as an existing convention. But the discourses would not say that there obviously exists an ‘attā,’ because even in conventional terms no such thing is experienced. Again, only the idea of such an experience is conceived, but the actual experience cannot be categorized as the attā.

As an aside, the notion that we do temporarily experience permanently existing phenomena, i.e. we can come into contact with a permanent substance/essence, was proposed by the Sarvāstivādins. There, the idea is that ‘form’ (rūpa) for example does have a self-existent essence, and we can temporarily come into contact with that experience under certain conditions. The problem is that, as should be clear from above, this ends up being identical to positing an ‘attā’. Because it is positing that we can experience unconditioned substances, and that those unconditioned substances do exist. Notice that they still rejected the idea of a self, and of course argued for ‘anattā.’ But in the language of the early discourses, these substances would still be an ‘attā,’ and to say we can experience them is just forming a concept about temporary, dependently arisen things that leads to construing of substances or knowledge outside of the aggregates, i.e. a sense of self.

This is why Nagarjuna, for example, argued against the Sarvāstivādin position (which is included in the late Theravāda Abhidhamma, AFAIK). He showed that by positing that ‘impersonal’ permanent substances exist still amounts to positing an ‘attā,’’ even if we say “it’s not self!” Because it’s not about positing the existence of a sense of self in this context, but about the concepts of permanence and things being beyond conditions. This then inevitably leads to or involves an ignorant sense of self, hence the issue.

That’s how I’d grapple to summarize my understanding of some of the conflicts here. It would be a complete misunderstanding of emptiness (as I understand the EBT perspective) to accuse this of meaning arhants exist after death. Denying that things truly cease is denying that we are experiencing the cessation of inherently existent substances, not denying that dependent processes come to an end (which is exactly what emptiness is pointing to).

Emptiness is a term that designates how our experience is not one of essences/substances (i.e. attās), but of dependently arisen phenomena. That is, when the conditions for temporary, dependently arisen experiences (i.e. the five aggregates) are no longer there, those experiences will also cease. But no actual substances or essences can be said or seen to be ceasing (or arising). Just temporary designated conditions. This is how there is no notion of eternalism or annihilationism, because no truly existent substance is annihilated here; dependent experiences/processes just come to an end.

5 Likes