Black dog! How can we get rid of it?

So they entertain others, but not themselves? That’s less than ideal!

1 Like

I was saying this as a little joke on one hand, but there is also a more serious side to it:

Ajahn Brahm is one of the most brilliant entertainers I know, and he makes always sure he is enjoying himself first of all when giving a talk. I heard him say something along the lines: “I am having fun with my talks, and I don’t bother whether or not others like my jokes or find the whole talk boring!” And of course his talks are not only entertaining for him, but very much so for others too!

Maybe your friend should try to find a way of making her performances more enjoyable for herself.

Just a thought…

1 Like

Some artists use their pain to give rise to creativity as inspiration- others may be using their art as a coping mechanism. I thought many clowns :clown_face: were depressed!

With metta

Ajahn Brahm is great, I reckon he could have been a stand-up comedian in another life. :yum:

1 Like

Such a very complex and personal condition. The recovery from severe depression is also complex and unique to each person.

I found that this was very important to realize. There is NO Right WAY.

When severely depressed one can feel guilt, shame and despair about anything and everything, even if one is not having depression or recovering from depression according to expectations. These are expectations from others and also expectations on self.

As was said regarding metta meditation, it is very important not to make the person focus on self metta until they are ready. Sometimes depression can lead to such self loathing that being kind to oneself is inconceivable.

Now for the words of hope.

• People recover from depression :slightly_smiling_face:
  • It is always changing, better and worse waves and fluctuations ie. the abyss is not permanent
  • No matter how bad it is, wait till tomorrow before doing anything drastic
  • if you can think of ways people can give you pleasure - they will be happy for you to tell them. If you are the person caring for the one with depression, make sure they know this so they don’t think they are being a burden or disappointment to you.
  • It is possible to live a great life, even if one is experiencing some symptoms of depression.
  • The realisation that the symptoms of depression do not poison every aspect of ones life, keep enjoying the things that are still good :slightly_smiling_face:
  • Maybe most important of all - working towards recovery is a hard and demanding task, don’t think you are doing nothing worthwhile! And if it makes interacting with others easier, think of a nice way of describing where you’re at. ie taking a break to work out the important things of life - rather than unemployed, mentally ill, or any of the other negative social labels :slightly_smiling_face:

with metta and confidence that it too will pass :smiley:

4 Likes

I think if everything is looking hopeless faith in the Buddha, dhamma and sangha is important. There is suffering and the cessation of suffering this time, if not the next. :heart:

With metta

1 Like

This is a compilation of all the best current evidence in the treatment of Depression (in UK). It is useful guide in finding out what is actually effective and what isn’t. Having said that, I think there is more at play than which can be easily captured by research. :slight_smile:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg90/chapter/1-Guidance

with metta,

1 Like

Great Dhamma talk

Working with difficult emotions.