SuttaCentral

Bottled Water: My favorite drink

I recently started drinking bottled water, and now it’s my favorite drink. Previously, I was drinking several diet sodas a day and little to no water. Now, I prefer to have a drink without flavoring, except maybe when I am at a restaurant.

Some might wonder why I don’t just drink tap water. The fact is that, without bottled water, I probably wouldn’t be drinking water at all, because I wouldn’t be craving it.

I don’t agree with the American Enterprise Institute on many things, but here is a good observation on the unintended consequences of banning bottled water:

Wow, nothing worked out as expected by the college administrators at the University of Vermont: a) the per capita number of bottles shipped to the University of Vermont increased significantly following the bottled water ban, and b) students, faculty and staff increased their consumption of less healthy bottled beverages following the bottled water ban. Another great example of the Law of Unintended Consequences. And the bottled water ban was not costless – the university paid to modify 68 drinking fountains, they paid for a publicity campaign, and they paid for lots of “free” reusable water bottles; and what they got was more plastic bottles on campus of less healthy beverages!
Who'd a-thunk it? Unintended consequences from a bottled water ban on a college campus? - AEI

Whether it’s from a mountain spring or purified by reverse osmosis, I love bottled water. It’s not just me, bottled water is now America’s favorite drink:

Bottled water is also better for the environment, since it requires less energy, less packaging, and less water to produce than soda.

I have seen people are very happy to use free water fountains in airports.
There is no reason why free water supply can increase the consumption of the bottled water.
I generally do not beleive those reaserch funded by bottle makers.
Some conuntries banned the use of plastic bags and it is working quite well.

@Kensho

Drinking water instead of diet soda is a huge improvement for your health.

Kudos to you for pushing through to make a most positive change.

Why not do like so many other people do these days and buy yourself a nice reusable water bottle?

Perhaps you could even fill it up at home with higher quality filtered water before going to work or school.

I read the news every day and I am regularly horrified about plastic pollution.

It wasn’t enough that there were islands of discarded plastic in the ocean, now the plastic is inside of fish.

It seems ludicrous if not criminal to create plastic bottles, pollution that will last centuries, for something as transient and frequent as a drink of water.

Congratulations again on kicking diet soda. I know how hard that is. I am going on my 8th month of abstaining from soda myself.

Good luck with it.

Thank you for your kind words. The honest truth is that I’d be too lazy to wash the reusable water bottle, and I honestly believe that bottled water tastes better than tap water. I also try to recycle the plastic bottles whenever I can.

Did you know that most bottled water comes from municipal water supplies, meaning that you are just drinking tap water anyway, but with the added consequence of BPA exposure as well as creating more plastic waste in a world already straining under the weight of man made catastrophes.

Plastic bottles are a major problem environmentally.

Soda bottles require more plastic than bottled water does.

It’s water purified by reverse osmosis, with minerals added for taste.

There is talk of re-introducing glass bottles with a refund. Certainly something needs to be done about the proliferation of plastic, which is poisoning the oceans.

Also is poisoning the entire food chain; micro plastics now detectable not just in sealife but human bodies.

These microplastics not only break down into their own components, but absorb and concentrate a variety of toxins, which can also enter the biosphere…

In one study, 93% of the bottled water from 11 different brands showed microplastic contamination. Per liter, researchers found an average of 325 microplastic particles.[46] Of the tested brands, Nestlé Pure Life and Gerolsteiner bottles contained the most microplastic with 930 and 807 microplastic particles per liter (MPP/L), respectively.[46] San Pellegrino products showed the least quantity of microplastic densities. Compared to water from taps, water from plastic bottles contained twice as much microplastic. Some of the contamination likely comes from the process of bottling and packaging the water.[46]
wikipedia, microplastics

I must admit, I’m struggling to comprehend the reasoning for this topic to be included on a Buddhist EBT forum, even in the watercooler. Particularly in light of the overwhelming evidence of harm caused by our unnecessary over use of plastics, which threatens all sentient beings as well as the entire ecosystem of our planet.

It would appear that this topic has been well explored and come to an end. :slight_smile: