Brahmavihārā are dukkhā

Poor Venerable Sunyo! :laughing: Too many threads on arising and ceasing! I don’t have much more to add.

Right. That’s all we can talk about.

Sure, I agree that the Buddha’s senses ceased.

But the Buddha’s inner senses can’t actually attain the cessation of themselves. Because the cessation of something is the arising of a separate condition. Just like a three year-old cannot have a four year-old’s birthday party. Only a four year old can have a four year-old’s birthday part. The Buddha’s senses cannot attain a cessation of the sense bases. The cessation of the sense bases would be a different event than the arising or presence of the sense bases. I assume you would agree with this.

So the Buddha can’t actually attain awakening. We just say that because we have to use words. There’s no such thing as a literal “extinguished fire.” Burning is the opposite of not burning.

So to relate it to this thread more directly: this means striving for “my personal liberation” has to be let go of. Even a “non-self continuum” cannot attain liberation. Thinking it can would be relying on annihilationism. And I’ve already discussed how that is incoherent here. We can’t actually attain liberation. And I don’t just mean non-self. I mean literally, experience cannot attain non-experience. Only certain conditions can arise/cease. But that’s happening every moment anyway! So thinking it’s somehow special in the future would be mistaken. Though, again, obviously the Buddha’s senses ceased when their conditions were no longer present. I’m not denying that.

If you want a sutta reference for this, you can reference e.g. the end of DN 9 with the discussion of the past, present, and future.

1 Like