Brahmavihārā are dukkhā

Dispassion is said to be the best of all things whether conditioned or unconditioned.

So there is unconditioned phenomena (dhamma).

Yāvatā, cundi, dhammā saṅkhatā vā asaṅkhatā vā, virāgo tesaṁ aggamakkhāyati, yadidaṁ—**

Let’s start with a few assumptions and definitions how this fits in with dispassion:

• This unconditoned phenomena is also:

the uninclined, the undefiled, the truth, the far shore, the subtle, the very hard to see, the freedom from old age, the constant, the not falling apart, the invisible, the unproliferated, the peaceful, the freedom from death, the sublime, the state of grace, the sanctuary, the ending of craving, the incredible, the amazing, the untroubled, the not liable to trouble, extinguishment, the unafflicted, dispassion, purity, freedom, not clinging, the island, the protection, the shelter, the refuge.

So that is why dispassion is considered the most important thing to practice in MN 1:

• Dispassion is unconditioned

So this is really true then that:

There is such an attainment where the one who enters it does not feel anything at all.’” - MN 136

And that is why Sariputtā said:

“Reverends, extinguishment is bliss! Extinguishment is bliss!” When he said this, Venerable Udāyī said to him, “But Reverend Sāriputta, what’s blissful about it, since nothing is felt?” “The fact that nothing is felt is precisely what’s blissful about it.

• But it is, despite this, still possible to delight in the Unconditioned and identity with the Unconditioned as ”I” ”Me” and ”Mine”, just as MN 1 says.

• And this attainment where the one who enters it does not feel anything at all, is the very same as that immersion beyond all planes of existence and all conditioned phenomena AN 10.6 & AN 10.7 where one can still perceive.

• And what one can still perceive, when going beyond all conditioned phenomena (as in AN 10.6 and AN 10.7) is in fact the unconditioned phenomena.

• So how can anyone be so sure it is ”impossible” to perceive the unconditioned in a dispassionate way?

When Dispassion, is both the goal and the entire path:

Just as SN 43.36 says it is:

dispassion …
Virāgañca vo, bhikkhave, desessāmi virāgagāmiñca maggaṁ.
Taṁ suṇātha.
Katamo ca, bhikkhave, virāgo …pe…?

To perceive not feeling at all in absolute stillness beyond anything in existence gives a better impression of truly being beyond logic and reason - atakkāvacara, then what being unconscious does. Something everyone has experienced and will experience.

• The immersion mentioned in AN 10.6 & AN 10.7 is really 100% Atakkāvacara - beyond logic and reason.

Regarding Dispassion, which is both the goal and the entire path:

• No darkness is found in that immersion but instead light infinite, luminous all-round:

“In the place where the water, earth, fire, and wind find no footing, There the stars do not shine, nor does the sun give light, There the moon does not glow, there darkness is not found. - Ud1.10

• So from this point of view it is fully understandable that puthujjanas and all others not in the higher training of dispassion would indeed delight in Nibbãna, just as MN 1 says.

As in delighting in nibbãna in the locative case: Nibbānasmiṃ

The wrong view is not someone getting immersed in water and delighting in all water-related things. It is not wrong view that there is water, since there is water.

The wrong view is delighting and identifying.

• Big difference.

Nibbānadhatu - So not all dhammas are conditioned then, like the element of Nibbāna that is an unconditioned dhamma/phenomena.

The Buddha says the unconditioned element should be directly known:

What two things should be directly known?
Two elements:
the conditioned element and the unconditioned element. - DN 34

Here is one more:

*“But sir, could there be another way in which a mendicant is qualified to be called ‘skilled in the elements’?” *
“There could, Ānanda.
There are these two elements:
the conditioned element and the unconditioned element.
When a mendicant knows and sees these two elements,
they’re qualified to be called ‘skilled in the elements’.” (MN 115)

And these suttas also say a great deal:

“There is, mendicants, that dimension where there is no earth, no water, no fire, no wind; no dimension of infinite space, no dimension of infinite consciousness, no dimension of nothingness, no dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; no this world, no other world, no moon or sun.
There, mendicants, I say there is no coming or going or remaining or passing away or reappearing.
It is not established, does not proceed, and has no support. Just this is the end of suffering.” (Ud 8.1)

“There is, mendicants, an unborn, unproduced, unmade, and unconditioned. If there were no unborn, unproduced, unmade, and unconditioned, then you would find no escape here from the born, produced, made, and conditioned. But since there is an unborn, unproduced, unmade, and unconditioned, an escape is found from the born, produced, made, and conditioned.” (Ud 8.3)

Beyond the scope of logic:

“What’s born, produced, and arisen,
made, conditioned, not lasting,
wrapped in old age and death,
frail, a nest of disease,
generated by food and the conduit to rebirth:
that’s not fit to delight in.
The escape from that is peaceful,
beyond the scope of logic, everlasting,
unborn and unarisen,
the sorrowless, stainless state,
the cessation of all painful things,
the stilling of conditions, bliss.” (iti 43)

“Mendicants, conditioned phenomena have these three characteristics.
What three?
Arising is evident, vanishing is evident, and change while persisting is evident.
These are the three characteristics of conditioned phenomena.”
“Unconditioned phenomena have these three characteristics.
What three?
No arising is evident, no vanishing is evident, and no change while persisting is evident.
These are the three characteristics of unconditioned phenomena.”
(AN 3.47)

If anyone wants to get technical about how all this I quoted is actually not true, fine by me.
:smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ah, now I understand the purpose of your original post. I agree in principle… to my knowledge (which is hopelessly limited), the brahmavihārā “practice” is a later convention that, in some Buddhist traditions today, may convey salutary intercession for others. As opposed to “dwelling in the divine abodes” as a form of blissful concentration which, necessarily, cultivates conditions for seeing the empty self.

Ok, I suppose the “practice” can become a form of prayer (forgive me) in the sense of pleading (to someone outside myself) for deliverance from something (beyond myself). Which, on the face of it, is wholly counterintuitive to liberation through cessation by one’s own agency – referencing your phrasing, sort of :face_with_monocle:.

Or it can be misconstrued as a means to console oneself. That may be what I’m hearing you say, in particular. And that’s not helpful within the Buddha’s program of liberation.

Is it actively hurtful or harmful to someone else to teach them “the brahmavihārās” or steer people toward them? What that means – how that looks – is, clearly, up for debate. I agree with you that, whatever this looks like in practice, the student should be taught with full awareness of the medicinal effects, via concentration, of “dwelling in the divine abodes” as part of the Buddha’s liberation program.

This, for me, is a wholly separate topic than aspiring to a bodhisattva career. I, for example, aspire to a bodhisattva career through cultivating the parami. (Sorry, can’t write that with diacritics here). I don’t share that, as a general rule, but commenting on your post requires that I do. I don’t consider my great aspiration to help others cross over as delusional. It is still, and always will be, about the Buddha’s liberation program. Admittdely, setting aside the absurd logic of deliberately pushing the Pause Button on aspirations for the final goal itself (blah blah blah)… I’m not so jazzed about that debate :rofl:

:pray:t2: :elephant:

3 Likes

Brahmavihāras dukkhā?

Mettāsahagatasutta - FULL OF LOVE:

And how is the heart’s release by love developed? What is its destination, apex, fruit, and end?

It’s when a mendicant develops the heart’s release by love together with the awakening factors of mindfulness, investigation of principles, energy, rapture, tranquility, immersion, and equanimity, which rely on seclusion, fading away, and cessation, and ripen as letting go. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the repulsive in the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the unrepulsive in the repulsive,’ that’s what they do.

If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the repulsive in the unrepulsive and the repulsive,’ that’s what they do. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the unrepulsive in the repulsive and the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. If they wish: ‘May I meditate staying equanimous, mindful and aware, rejecting both the repulsive and the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. The apex of the heart’s release by love is the beautiful, I say, for a mendicant who has not penetrated to a higher freedom.

And how is the heart’s release by compassion developed?

What is its destination, apex, fruit, and end? It’s when a mendicant develops the heart’s release by compassion together with the awakening factors of mindfulness, investigation of principles, energy, rapture, tranquility, immersion, and equanimity, which rely on seclusion, fading away, and cessation, and ripen as letting go. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the repulsive in the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. … If they wish: ‘May I meditate staying equanimous, mindful and aware, rejecting both the repulsive and the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. Or else, going totally beyond perceptions of form, with the ending of perceptions of impingement, not focusing on perceptions of diversity, aware that ‘space is infinite’, they enter and remain in the dimension of infinite space. The apex of the heart’s release by compassion is the dimension of infinite space, I say, for a mendicant who has not penetrated to a higher freedom.

And how is the heart’s release by rejoicing developed? What is its destination, apex, fruit, and end? It’s when a mendicant develops the heart’s release by rejoicing together with the awakening factors of mindfulness, investigation of principles, energy, rapture, tranquility, immersion, and equanimity, which rely on seclusion, fading away, and cessation, and ripen as letting go. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the repulsive in the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. … If they wish: ‘May I meditate staying equanimous, mindful and aware, rejecting both the repulsive and the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. Or else, going totally beyond the dimension of infinite space, aware that ‘consciousness is infinite’, they enter and remain in the dimension of infinite consciousness. The apex of the heart’s release by rejoicing is the dimension of infinite consciousness, I say, for a mendicant who has not penetrated to a higher freedom.

And how is the heart’s release by equanimity developed? What is its destination, apex, fruit, and end? It’s when a mendicant develops the heart’s release by equanimity together with the awakening factors of mindfulness, investigation of principles, energy, rapture, tranquility, immersion, and equanimity, which rely on seclusion, fading away, and cessation, and ripen as letting go. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the repulsive in the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the unrepulsive in the repulsive,’ that’s what they do. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the repulsive in the unrepulsive and the repulsive,’ that’s what they do. If they wish: ‘May I meditate perceiving the unrepulsive in the repulsive and the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. If they wish: ‘May I meditate staying equanimous, mindful and aware, rejecting both the repulsive and the unrepulsive,’ that’s what they do. Or else, going totally beyond the dimension of infinite consciousness, aware that ‘there is nothing at all’, they enter and remain in the dimension of nothingness. The apex of the heart’s release by equanimity is the dimension of nothingness, I say, for a mendicant who has not penetrated to a higher freedom.” - SN 46.54

1 Like

I can only have the greatest respect for those who are on the Bodhisatta path. Let me preface saying that.

With that out of the way, imagine someone hears Buddhism for the first time in these terms:

• Buddha teaches the truth of suffering and how to overcome it in this life.
  • Buddha’s path is cultivation of compassion for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Now, both of these statements are true.

There was a time in my youth, hearing the first, I would’ve been immediately interested. Hearing the second, I would’ve cursed in shameless profanities, telling people to [insert the worst of your imaginations].

I think that’s a crucial difference. Even if some Mahayānā adherents look down on Hinayānā path, I haven’t met any who openly claim that Buddha didn’t teach the Sāvaka path.

If, coming from a pure place of compassion, we should lead with the first sentence. Buddha, of all people, knew the suffering of expectations - of being a warrior, a prince, a husband, a father. All those things were a dukkha - so much so that he named his son Rahula!

Brahmavihārā are a great aid in overcoming personal suffering, letting go of negative emotions. But as you’ve pointed out, their medicinal properties for the practicioner should be emphasised. Otherwise, it can easily fall off deaf ears.

1 Like

Buddha’s insight is that all that arises is also subject to cease. That is impermanent, not stable, desintegrating. In the end that is not reliable and what Buddha sought.
There is no state of existence that is not liable to arise and cease nor any conditioned state. So, seeking safety, refuge, protection in such is not the Path.

Buddha is not vague…he teaches the Path to Asankhata, not Sankhata. To Asankhata, to what is stable, constant and not-desintegrating, unailing, deathless.

Sorry, to be more precise: compassion removes cruel tendencies, harming. Sympathic joy removes jalousy. Metta cures anger and hate. Metta does not remove avijja, only wisdom and true knowledge does.

But the texts always use this disclaimer…one must also sincerly seek the Truth, the unailing, that what is free from death, stable, free from birth, decay etc. One must not seek that what is of the same nature of oneself.

If one only seeks a comfortable way of living, or only wants to escape duties and obligations, and not realy seeking the Truth, the texts do not praise this. So, our own hearts knows what is true. Do we really seek the deathless?

right, but many other buddhist speak about later buddhism much lower…as brahmanism, hinduism, mysticism, just a-Dhamma. Then talking about hinayana is quit innocent compared to such strong and loaded opinions.

If they do look down, then they are making a mistake. The Sāvaka is an important path and a valid one that the Buddha taught just as you say. :pray:

1 Like

One does not in any way justify the other. Those who adhere to the Bodhisattva path must hold themselves to even greater account in order to accomplish the Bodhisattva goal. :pray:

1 Like

I’ve always suspected that there exist Theravada tradition practitioners who aspire to the Bodhisattva path, but until now I’ve never heard of one. Thank you for confirming my assumption!

It would be wonderful to hear more about the Theravada tradition and the Bodhisattva path as it is usually in Mahayana tradition circles assumed that those who practice the Theravada are all working for personal liberation.

This is yet another example of how it can be very confusing when people bring in unwarranted assumptions from one tradition to another. I also think it a beneficial goal to increase communication and transparency to dissolve misunderstandings between extant traditions.

I’ll have to be careful in the future referring or implicitly alluding to the Mahayana as synonymous with the Bodhisattva vehicle and the Theravada as synonymous with personal liberation as this just isn’t the case.

:pray:

3 Likes

I was just thinking about how (to my knowledge) Jātakas as a complete collection doesn’t have a strong parallel in other traditions (though they do have some jataka literature regardless); and the tone of pāli jatakas are quite mahayānān in many ways.

And perhaps in many ways I’m on the opposite side of the fence - my primary foray into buddhadhamma was through dōgen (surprise) and I’m quite fond of zen literature, if not for the whole bodhisatta thing!

So yeah, things are not as black and white as we think they are. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a bit of a duck out of water too in that the first suttas I studied came from Pali canon (via Venerable Bodhi’s amazing works) while my tradition / teachers were Tibetan Gelugpa. And as is readily apparent I’ve stuck with my study of the Pali (and now Agamas) and learned quite a lot about the Theravada in the process, but I also of course study the Mahayana sutras and Nagarjuna’s exegesis. :pray:

1 Like

There was a very influential Sri Lankan monk — teacher, for example, of Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi and others — Ven. Balangoda Ānanda Maitreiya. He is widely believed to be on the Bodhisattva path.

The Bodhisattva path is also frequently mentioned in traditional Theravāda. In Thai Buddhism, for example, the ten pāramī are a very common teaching. The ten pāramī are the Theravāda tradition list of pāramitās that arahants, paccekabuddhas, and sammāsambuddhas are said to cultivate to different degrees. Many of the Thai meditation masters reference pāramī and also bodhisattva vows. There is also talk of vows to be chief disciples of a future Buddha, for example. In the Thai forest traditions, it seems there is a common belief that bodhisattva vows could have been undertaken in past lives, and they must be intentionally relinquished if yogis do not want to follow them anymore.

For example, a very famous meditation master of Thailand, Ajahn Mun, is said to have decided to relinquish his bodhisattva vows so that he could attain arahantship in his biography, which is very widely read. I know of one abbot in Thailand within the lineage of Ajahn Chah who IIRC decided not to relinquish his vows. I think they were bodhisattva vows, but I’m not 100% sure.

There is a treatise on the Bodhisattva path within the commentarial literature of Theravāda (sub-commentaries I believe?), and also a book called the Cariyapiṭaka in the actual Sutta-Piṭaka which describes the pāramī that Gotama Buddha developed through the Jātaka stories. Bhante Sujato translated it.

Most are looking for a fortunate rebirth. Many want to be around in the time of Metteyya Buddha. But the actual Theravāda system teaches all three vehicles. Though it is a less developed form of Bodhisattva path than some of the later Indian Mahāyāna philosophies. So for example, it is required to wait a long time if someone wants to be a Buddha, and it is widely held that a prediction has to be made by a living Buddha which confirms their aspiration.

2 Likes

Hello Dogen,

So let’s break this down a bit.

• Regardless how you define a ‘thing’ or a ‘process’ you acknowledge that both are conditioned, right?
  • Regardless how you define a ‘thing’ or a ‘process’ you acknowledge that both are dukkha, right?

If you so acknowledge, then it follows that regardless how you define a ‘thing’ or a ‘process’ it is not possible for the conditioned to attain the uncondtioned as in a possession, right?

The process is a continuum? If so, then the cessation of that process is also in the continuum, right? The cessation of the conditioned… is conditioned. The cessation of the impersonal process cannot be the unconditioned, right?

If the process cannot posses the unconditioned and its cessation cannot be considered equal to the unconditioned, then what exactly is the unconditioned? Who attains it? How is it posited with regard to the process?

1 Like

Ach, i think that it is naturally that people think in terms of superior and inferior Paths and also Knowledge and Vision. Maybe you do not like this, and feel it is judgemental, but i feel it is normal human reality to judge things like that.

People can pretent publically they are so religious tolerant, but, in their hearts they believe: only my religion is the truth. All that socalled tolerance is for the show, the stage, a performance. On the outside one seems open-minded, but inside there is a totally different reality. My preference is: stop acting and share what you really feel, really think, really believe, be honest, sincere.

I think all these questions stem from treating Asankhata as Unconditioned, which is a translation error I believe, precisely because of locative issues you bring up (that is, if something is unconditioned, how can its attainment be conditioned?)

• Now, Buddha explains that a mendicant can attain parinibbāna (MA 200), achieves awakening (dn30), and so on.
  • We know that nibbāna is Asankhata.

The most obvious way to remedy both this statements is understanding Asankhata as without conditions. Which is the basis of our soteriology - that the way to absence of conditions is possible.

• Achieving/attaining nibbāna (agamas and nikayas both use this terminology) - explained in suttas as destruction of three poisons in this life, end of rebirths after death and no more becoming.
  • A mendicant can rightly proclaim these states and there are very specific questions in both suttas and vinayas for the express purpose of ascerting the truth of such claims. As well as Buddha explicitly claiming these for himself.

I can link the related passages later if you so need as well.

In this way, nibbāna isn’t something one claims or owns or dwells in, but just a metaphor for saying “I’ve come to an end”. (Something Buddha repeatedly says).

Also relevant here that sunyatta in pāli is different from mahayānā, and the difference is important for a perspective shift. In Culasunnatasutta, and in Ps2.10 Sunnakatha, Sunno is used as a concept to explain how a place is absent of something else. So we use sunno to explain how, for example, a mendicant is absent of anger, hatred, delusion, or how a forest is absent of noisy monks.

This perspective is important for gradual training on cessation, to help mind understand how nibbāna isn’t a thing or a process but absence of conditions, absence of birth absence of suffering, absence of aggregates, so on and so forth.

1 Like

Interesting. You don’t see how it is possible for you to be open minded or to not have a superior/inferior view of others and yourself so you assume this is the case for everyone and anyone pretending otherwise is insincere or not being honest? You think the Teacher also shared these superior/inferior views? Shantideva was insincere in what he practiced or encouraged others to practice? :pray:

And relatedly; Bhante Sujato has started translating Asankhata as such in Ud8.3 and in other places; SC translations aren’t uniform as of yet on this issue, alas.

Ah! So you think it is possible to conditionally arrive at the absence of conditions? Is this a decent enough paraphrase at what you’re saying?

Also, I’ll just state again that I don’t think there is such a thing as Mahayānā emptiness in distinction to Theravada emptiness. That is, I can find students of the Pali and Theravada who have remarkably similar expositions of emptiness to what I recognize from descriptions by (some) practitioners of the Mahayana tradition. I can also find other practitioners of Theravada who have an understanding seemingly different from my own which has adherents in extant Mahayana traditions in my estimation.

1 Like

Close enough! To quote DN11:

“Consciousness where nothing appears,
that’s where water and earth
fire and air find no footing.

And that is where long and short,
fine and coarse, beautiful and ugly;
that’s where name and form
cease with nothing left over—
with the cessation of consciousness,
that’s where they cease.”

1 Like

Bhante translates the a- compounds as “freedom from” or “free of.” At the Udāna passage he has ‘free of what has been … conditioned.’ Elsewhere, he also has ‘amata’ as “freedom from death.”

2 Likes