Brainwave Patterns in the Jhanas

In first jhana the mind is not completely still, there is a wobble, I have learned that the wobble stops in seccond jhana.

In Ajahn Mun’s biography, there is a story about a forest monk who found himself between two tigers. He went into ‘jhana’ standing on the spot and when he came out the tigers were gone. True? Who knows…

1 Like

I suppose hundreds or thousands of hours observing the subject, in order to ascertain their level of development.

It is impossible to experience any sense but the sixth in jhana.

"Then again, a monk — with the complete transcending of perceptions of [physical] form, with the disappearance of perceptions of resistance, and not heeding perceptions of diversity, [perceiving,] ‘Infinite space’ — enters & remains in the dimension of the infinitude of space. He reflects on this and discerns, ‘This attainment of the infinitude of space is fabricated & intended. Now whatever is fabricated & intended is inconstant & subject to cessation.’ AN 11.17 Dasama Sutta: To Dasama

What do you make of this?

with metta

2 Likes

Sir, those who can encompass the minds of others can directly know if a mind is hindered or in jhana etc.

:slight_smile: possibly!
https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_expensive_would_an_fMRI_with_EEG_and_MVPA_be_to_set_up :expressionless:

I have a friend who can realize ‘unbound space’ :smiley:

I like this Sutta.

Mat will you read my essay? No pressure, but I hope you read it :smiley:

If you read my essay, please be as critical as you like
-metta

I don’t mean the whole kit and caboodle :yum:

There may be researchers who may be willing to send a few boxes of things that make whirring sounds and go Bing! With an instruction manual - on loan?

Problem with a cereal boxes with wires sticking out of them on to monks and nuns heads, is that it’s good enough to prove they had a great breakfast but not good enough to say they went into jhana! :laughing:

With metta

No criticism from me. It sounds all good!

With metta

1 Like

The Buddha found that boundless space isn’t the ending of suffering. All attainments need to be let gone of eventually, right?

With metta

Thank you very much Mat, :slight_smile: I I really apreciate the favour you did me by reading it :)! Let me know if you write an essay and I will gladly read it.

• mudita!
2 Likes

Its important to get the machine that whir’s and goes ping - that’s good enough I reckon.

Its got an arrow on the front that points to each of the jhanas in a row and then the pinging goes crazy when the arrow hits enlightenment. There’s a shower device over head that releases flower petals when the arrow goes to the top of the range. You can buy it on eBay! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Didn’t know one could get into jhana standing up

1 Like