Bring the happiness that most people only dream about: tell us our mistakes

SN43.12:6.11: Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu uppannānaṁ kusalānaṁ dhammānaṁ ṭhitiyā asammosāya bhiyyobhāvāya vepullāya bhāvanāya pāripūriyā chandaṁ janeti vāyamati vīriyaṁ ārabhati cittaṁ paggaṇhāti padahati. Ayaṁ vuccati, bhikkhave, asaṅkhatagāmimaggo …pe….
A mendicant generates enthusiasm, tries, makes an effort, exerts the mind, and strives so that skillful qualities that have arisen remain, are not lost, but increase, mature, and are fulfilled by development.

Add ellipses.

The same in segment 10.10.

SN43.14:0.1: Saṁyutta Nikāya 43.14–43
Linked Discourses 43.14

Should be “Linked Discourses 43.14–43”.

https://suttacentral.net/discourses?view=normal

In the “undeclared points” there are four statements about the status of a Realized One after death. The English translation usually has “the Realized One exists after death” (or doesn’t exist etc.). Only in SN 44.7:2.22 he survives instead.

SN44.7:3.1: “Ko nu kho, bho moggallāna, hetu ko paccayo, yena aññatitthiyānaṁ paribbājakānaṁ evaṁ puṭṭhānaṁ evaṁ veyyākaraṇaṁ hoti—
“What’s the cause, Master Moggallāna, what’s the reason why, when the wanderers who follow other paths are asked these questions, they declare one of these to be true?

SN44.8:2.1: “Ko nu kho, bho gotama, hetu, ko paccayo, yena aññatitthiyānaṁ paribbājakānaṁ evaṁ puṭṭhānaṁ evaṁ veyyākaraṇaṁ hoti:
“What’s the cause, Master Gotama, what’s the reason why the wanderers who follow other paths answer these questions when asked?

Two different translations for the same sentence. (And subsequently the same in the negative for “Master Gotama”.)

SN44.9:4.7: ‘acchecchi taṇhaṁ, vivattayi saṁyojanaṁ, sammā mānābhisamayā antamakāsi dukkhassā’ti.
cut off craving, untied the fetters, and by rightly comprehending conceit have made an end of suffering.

Closing quote mark (single) is lacking.

That’s an incorrect URL. I think you may have got there via the Introduction pages, where I have no corrected the URLs. Let me know if you got there another way!

done

indeed it should, thanks.

use this form:

“What’s the cause, Master Moggallāna, what’s the reason why, when the wanderers who follow other paths are asked these questions, they declare one of these to be true?

No, here I am framing the close -ti as “he says that …” so no quotes are required.

1 Like

I think this is the end of the reported debate, to which you refer in a comment saying that MS punctuation is wrong in assuming the end of this reported debate some segments earlier.

We still need a closing quote that belongs to the opening quote in segment 2.2.

SN44.9:6.1: “Yasmiṁ, bho gotama, samaye acci vātena khittā dūrampi gacchati, imassa pana bhavaṁ gotamo kiṁ upādānasmiṁ paññāpetī”ti?
“But when a flame is blown away by the wind, what do you say is its fuel then?”

SN44.9:6.4: “Yasmiñca pana, bho gotama, samaye imañca kāyaṁ nikkhipati, satto ca aññataraṁ kāyaṁ anupapanno hoti, imassa pana bhavaṁ gotamo kiṁ upādānasmiṁ paññāpetī”ti?
“But when someone who is attached has laid down this body and has not been reborn in one of the realms, what does Master Gotama say is their fuel then?”

“What do you say” versus “what does Master Gotama say”.

DN29:24.5: Cattārome, cunda, sukhallikānuyogā ekantanibbidāya virāgāya nirodhāya upasamāya abhiññāya sambodhāya nibbānāya saṁvattanti.
These four kinds of indulgence in pleasure, when developed and cultivated, lead solely to disillusionment, dispassion, cessation, peace, insight, awakening, and extinguishment.

I can’t see “when developed and cultivated” in the Pali.

Oh indeed you are quite right, my apologies.

Use master Gotama here, as it establishes that by the end of the discourse, Vaccha was still not fully converted.

The translation for this passage is discussed here:

Indeed, it’s a TM error.

1 Like

No need to apologize. I should have explained better the first time.

I am not sure, but I think using “you” may be considered quite impolite at the time?

Yes, I saw it. Thank you, that’s interesting.

I’ve been confused by this sentence in the essay on the SN for a while (paragraph 112 in Bilara):

This is the difference between knowledge of dependent origination and the psychic powers of seeing the specific details of past lives and present rebirths.

But now I am wondering: Should it not be “future rebirths” instead of “present rebirths”?

And, BTW, this still hasn’t been fixed:

It looks like the book mark #6.1.2--6.4.23 is missing on the page containing Khandaka 7

Similarly #7.1.1--pli-tv-kd7:7.1.2--pli-tv-kd7:7.1.2 and it’s apparent equivalent #6.1.1--6.4.23 are also not on the page and therefore the links don’t work.

Yes, these are malformed links. Unfortunately the methods of coding the links has evolved over time and some of those in Brahmali’s translation aren’t current. At some point I’ll work with him to ensure that they all work.

In Khandaka 14, Section 9.2 Resolution by Committee …

Anujānāmi, bhikkhave, imehi dasahaṅgehi samannāgataṁ bhikkhuṁ ubbāhikāya sammannituṁ.

doesn’t have an corresponding English translation.

tagging @Brahmali in this

Hi Tom, one of my translation principles is not unnecessarily to duplicate the oral structure of the Pali. The sandwich method - where the Buddha gives an introductory remark, then the body of his instruction, and then repeats the introductory part - is typical device of oral literature. When things are written down, such structures often - but not always - seem out of place. In the present situation the text flows on nicely without the repetition of the initial phrase, and so I have left it out.

SN45.5:3.5: ‘atthi kho, āvuso, maggo, atthi paṭipadā etassa dukkhassa pariññāyā’ti.
‘There is.’
SN45.5:4.1: Katamo ca, bhikkhave, maggo, katamā paṭipadā etassa dukkhassa pariññāyāti?
And what is that path?
SN45.5:4.2: Ayameva ariyo aṭṭhaṅgiko maggo, seyyathidaṁ—
It is simply this noble eightfold path, that is:
SN45.5:4.3: sammādiṭṭhi …pe… sammāsamādhi.
right view, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right immersion.
SN45.5:4.4: Ayaṁ, bhikkhave, maggo, ayaṁ paṭipadā etassa dukkhassa pariññāyāti.
This is the path and the practice for completely understanding suffering.
SN45.5:4.5: Evaṁ puṭṭhā tumhe, bhikkhave, tesaṁ aññatitthiyānaṁ paribbājakānaṁ evaṁ byākareyyāthā”ti.
When questioned by wanderers who follow other paths, that’s how you should answer them.”

Quote marks are unclear.

It’s a hypothetical dialogue between Buddhist mendicants and wanderers of other sects. The Buddhists answer “there is” to the wanderer’s question. Then the next question is either asked by the wanderers—in which case it should start with a new opening quote; or else it is a rhetorical question asked by the Buddhists—in which case there should be no closing quote after “there is”.

And for the rest of the Sutta the dialogue goes without any quote marks at all, so there should still be added some, according to who speaks what. At the very least, if everything is spoken by the Buddhists, there should be one closing quote at the end of segment 4.4 (we are talking of all single quote marks here).

Edit:
Now I still see another possibility: it’s neither the wanderers nor the Buddhist mendicants who speak the part after “there is”, but the Buddha himself, and it’s not included in the hypothetical dialogue. It becomes clear from the mention of bhikkhave in the Pali, so it would perhaps be good to mention “mendicants” in the translation too to make it clear: “And what is that path, mendicants?”

Going to do that now in German … :walking_woman:

Blurb to SN 45.9:

A mendicant with wrong view will develop the path in the wrong way, harming themselves as if grabbing a sharp spike the wrong way.

Actually, the Sutta goes the other way around: The right way is when the hand is hurt and blood is produced. Sounds strange, but I think the point is the piercing.

Blurb to SN 45.12:

The Buddha goes on retreat for a fortnight. When he emerges, he describes his meditation on the conditionality of the eightfold path, which was similar to a practice he did shortly after awakening.

This time, it’s three months.

There is a typo here:

You can see that there are two ' at the end. One of them should be at the end of the id.
<article id='pli-tv-bu-vb-as3 data-counter='3''>

Same error here:

Obviously I found that not by sight but by the error it threw. @666tomanderson FYI

I think you may already know this, but the xref links here are broken: https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-ss3 Bhante @Brahmali

2 Likes

Thanks for your support, Venerable! I suppose all of this has to be sorted out by the technical team, headed by Bhante @Suijato.

1 Like

Thanks! And meanwhile, I noticed that many of the data-counter attributes in the Vinaya were incorrect, so I have fixed them.

@brahmali, in the Vinaya HTML markup, I came across some cases, ultimately about 36, where there is a reference annotation of the kind <p data-content='Sp.3.123'>. Evidently these are references to the Samantapasadika, or in a few places other texts. Do you know anything about these? They are very much out of place, and in addition, many or most of the were corrupt in some way. I’m not sure if they’re a hangover from the old MS edition or from some old transformation of your HTML files or perhaps a blood sacrifice.

I have changed them all to data-reference so they are easy to find. I’d like to nuke them unless they serve some arcane purpose.

2 Likes

Some of the terminology and sentence structure in the Ānāpānassati-sutta (MN118) is different than in SN54 Ānāpānasaṁyutta. Maybe this is on purpose? For example:

passambhayaṁ kāyasaṅkhāraṁ = stilling the body’s motion (MN118)
passambhayaṁ kāyasaṅkhāraṁ = stilling physical processes (SN54)

“They practice breathing in experiencing these emotions. They practice breathing out experiencing these emotions.” (MN118)

They practice like this: ‘I’ll breathe in experiencing mental processes.’ They practice like this: ‘I’ll breathe out experiencing mental processes.’ (SN54)

1 Like

I can’t find them. I’ve had a look at the html mark-up for bhikkhu-pārājika 1, and there is no “data-reference” there. If I had the segment numbers for these references, as well as the actual references, I might be able to check if something has gone missing by accident.

Is it possible that one of the json files was broken in that process?

The comma is missing in line 742.