Buddha's reflection as bodhisatva

Can someone say in which sutta Buddha say something along the lines: "Why am I - subject to death - seek happiness in things that also subject to death? Instead I should seek happiness in that that do not die, i.e Nibbana. " ?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Bartolomay!

Search for “liable to grow old” in SuttaCentral Voice returns 12 suttas; among others MN 26:

And what is the ignoble search?

It’s when someone who is themselves liable to be reborn seeks what is also liable to be reborn. Themselves liable to grow old, fall sick, die, sorrow, and become corrupted, they seek what is also liable to these things.

And what is the noble search?

It’s when someone who is themselves liable to be reborn, understanding the drawbacks in being liable to be reborn, seeks the unborn supreme sanctuary, extinguishment. Themselves liable to grow old, fall sick, die, sorrow, and become corrupted, understanding the drawbacks in these things, they seek the unaging, unailing, undying, sorrowless, uncorrupted supreme sanctuary, extinguishment.

If possible, could you please phrase the title of your post in English, so that everybody is able to understand? Thank you!

9 Likes

Thanks a lot, I really like this qoute. Autocorrect ruined my title))

3 Likes