Buddha's teaching methods

I see some clever brahmins … some clever householders … they become his disciples. Furthermore, I see some clever ascetics who are subtle, accomplished in the doctrines of others, hair-splitters. … They don’t even get around to asking their question to the ascetic Gotama, so how could they refute his answer? Invariably, they ask the ascetic Gotama for the chance to go forth. And he gives them the going-forth. Soon after going forth, living withdrawn, diligent, keen, and resolute, they realize the supreme end of the spiritual path in this very life. They live having achieved with their own insight the goal for which people from good families rightly go forth from the lay life to homelessness. They say: ‘We were almost lost! We almost perished! For we used to claim that we were ascetics, brahmins, and perfected ones, but we were none of these things. But now we really are ascetics, brahmins, and perfected ones!’ When I saw this fourth footprint of the ascetic Gotama, I drew the conclusion: ‘The Blessed One is a fully awakened Buddha. The teaching is well explained. The Saṅgha is practicing well.’ SuttaCentral