Buddhism in the time of COVID - Global Conference

Expressions of interest

Here is an open invitation to present online to a global audience during the upcoming Easter break.
Please send a 2-3 min abstract vlog to register your interest.

Keynote speakers include @sujato (Bhante Sujato- Sydney) @Brahmali (Ajahn Brahmali - Perth) @Dhammananda ( Dr Galkande Dhammananda, Sri Lanka), @Ayya Soma & @Bhante Sudasso (New York), @ Ven Sudhamma (North Carolina) @Ayya Phalannani (Germany) @Ven Hantane Dhammagawesi (Sir Lanka)

Buddhism in the time of COVID will be streamed online, two sessions per day, 2 hours per session,
3 presenters per session, 20 mins for each presentation followed by a live panel for QA.

Work is still in progress but this is the basic outline of the program.

Depending on the number of presenters (selected based on the clarity & diversity ) we are ready to do this for one two three or all four days during Easter.

All we are asking for is a 2 min abstract Vlog to review. Can you help?

12 Likes

Please excuse, I do not understand what this means (english not my native tonge). Could you kindly make this more descriptive?

3 Likes

@Nessie an abstract is a short explanation of what a piece of literature contains. In this case, the request is for a short video detailing what would be in a presentation given at the conference.

5 Likes

@Nadine - ah, thank you very much. So “vlog” really means “video film”, and “abstract” that style of overview that we have at scientific articles - not some “abstract thing”. What I did not yet get: is it meant they want (a promise that) after the event an abstract given by the (online) publicum as a reflection or do they want before the event an abstract what the publicum would like to be talked about? (Oooh, sorry I’m a bit mentally deafend, apparently…)

5 Likes

Exactly.

They’re asking for the video as a submission for possible inclusion in the conference to get an idea of suitability, etc.

6 Likes

It’s not something the audience has to give, but those who would like to make a presentation. If you want to attend I don’t think you have to do anything special.

7 Likes

Dear Sabbamitta - a light occurs over horizon :dolphin: . If I want them to include a presentation of mine, I should give an abstract, a preview, and in a video form. This is of course clear. Not if I want to attend - very good. Issue closed!
THX -
Gottfried

7 Likes

So sorry for not making it clear, thank you all for helping to make it more reader-friendly. :blush:

4 Likes

Please note: the speaker line up is still emerging. Please share this link with your networks and register to join the live audience.

http://www.dhammanet.org/buddhism-in-the-time-of-covid/

Presenter registration is open until Sunday the 5th of April if you like to present there is still time, please send a private message if you need more information.
Thank you so much.

3 Likes

Thanks! Presumably it will also be livestreamed, so noone should feel that they are going to miss out?

Live streaming will only be for the panels, as the internet is slowing down we are requesting the presenters to submit in advance, we will release the presentations at the scheduled time. after the presentation there will be a live panel. If one is interested to join the live audience to ask questions from the speakers please register, I hope this is helpful.

4 Likes

I think that’s thoughtful kind planning, thank you

2 Likes

Registration is now open. The conference will include multiple sessions scheduled at different times. Each session will be roughly 2 hours long and will include a similar format. At the beginning of each session will be a series of short pre-recorded talks. This will be then followed by a live panel that will include all the speakers and a moderator. Registered participants will have the opportunity to ask questions during a live Q&A session.
Thank you for your help to get here. Please register here:
http://www.dhammanet.org/buddhism-in-the-time-of-covid/?fbclid=IwAR1iHqCEH0-aV1_HE5ZHu_b562i3KwN15w8W6-bh8hhOxeIt59RNb3FmOjo

5 Likes

Venerable Henepola Gunaratana (Bhante G) from the Bhavana Society, WV USA will deliver the opening address. Please register for live updates, one registration per household in enough. Many thanks.

5 Likes

UPDATES

English Sessions are now at capacity.
Sinhalese sessions are still open for registration. (We are working to have English Subtitles )
Stay tuned Buddhism in the Time of COVID - Dhammanet

6 Likes

@Deepika, I sent some friends a link to the youtube trailer. It’s awesome. But I can’t work out where to send them to watch the live or recorded streams?

:anjal:

1 Like

Youtube will have the content after the conference, will send the link when avail. thanks for directing traffic LOL xoxo

4 Likes

I’ve shared the announcement, with a link to trailer (Dhammanet on youtube) to my Buddhist email corespondants. Looking forward to watching and sharing in this.

2 Likes

Can you clarify?
Can only the registered can watch the live stream, (with even with prerecorded presentations not released until later)? I had (mis?)understood registration only being for active participants seeing panels live with ability to ask questions.

1 Like

The registered will become a live participant, they will have the opportunity to ask questions from the expert panel during the live panel sessions. Registration enables us to make the conference as lively and engaging as possible.

1 Like