Buddhist Retirement Center

San Francisco Zen Center announces β€œZen-inspired” retirement community:

:woman_white_haired::older_man:

5 Likes

Just because I was curious, I looked up the project, and they do not publish costs, as the project is in its zoning and pre-development phase.

However, the project is in Sonoma County, California, where the wine country land is costly (Wiki: Healdsburg: The community is known for its high-end shopping destinations and art galleries ) . The project itself looks to be oriented toward the very affluent. I wanted to see what other Kendal projects were like, and found this: MoneyGauge - myLifeSite . It’s a similar project (maybe even far less affluent) in Oberlin, Ohio. I plugged in some basic info for a hypothetical middle class American, and this message came back: This preliminary assessment shows that we may not currently offer an option that aligns best with your finances, but we may be missing other relevant details.

β€œEnso Village will offer daily meditation in our zendo, and dharma teachings in our community hall,” a representative of San Francisco Zen Center told Lion’s Roar. β€œSince there will be around 20 retired San Francisco Zen Center Teachers in residence, we expect that they will be available for practice discussion with those who are interested.”

Not a bad gig. ( I wish there was a universal font that suggests cynicism and sarcasm…)

5 Likes

Fascinating. That is innovative business and potentially supportive of monastics, who might (?) be hosted by the development itself as a charitable contribution.

Daily sittings, classes, practice groups, lectures and workshops will be available, although there will be no obligation to practice. There will be a meditation hall and retired Zen teachers will live in the community. In addition, it is anticipated that willing participants besides staff members (residents, for instance) will be trained in the practice of contemplative care.

Homes for β€œmindful aging” … with fellow retired millionaires.

…:thinking:…

Great idea, but no thank you.

5 Likes

Hi friends, can we Theravadins build co-housing communities to live and practice together, especially in the neighborhood of good Theravada monasteries?

For example, in the US, such a community could be built in the neighborhood of Abhayagiri Monastery, in Redwood Valley, which is a short drive to the monastery. The community members can regularly join the daily practice and activities of Abhayagiri, can have retreats there, and can learn from the noble disciples there. Another community could be built in the neighborhood of Metta Forest Monastery, in Valley Center; and a community in High View, where Bhavana Society locates. The land and homes in High View are very inexpensive.

In Canada, a co-housing community could be built in Perth, Ontario, in the neighborhood of Tisarana Monastery; another attractive place to build such a community would be in Vancouver Island, which has good climate and natural beauty (beaches, lakes, walking trials …).

Metta,

Starter

There is. It’s called the sarcasm switch, it is shown by adding a /S or /s after something.

Like this:
Not a bad gig. /S

I’m still hoping for an actual sarcasm font though, as I’m not convinced by this one and it is easily mistaken for an and/or plural.

It’s not like that would have been a totally foreseeable problem or anything… /S

3 Likes

Yeah, such a font would π’Ήπ‘’π’»π’Ύπ“ƒπ’Ύπ“‰π‘’π“π“Ž 𝒷𝑒 π“Šπ“ƒπ’Ήπ‘’π“‡π“ˆπ“‰π‘œπ‘œπ’Ή π’·π“Ž π‘’π“‹π‘’π“‡π“Žπ‘œπ“ƒπ‘’, π“Šπ“ƒπ’Ύπ“‹π‘’π“‡π“ˆπ’Άπ“π“π“Ž, π“ˆπ‘œπ“π“‹π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π“‚π’Ύπ“ˆπ’Έπ‘œπ“‚π“‚π“Šπ“ƒπ’Ύπ’Έπ’Άπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ π“…π“‡π‘œπ’·π“π‘’π“‚ π’»π‘œπ“‡π‘’π“‹π‘’π“‡ :joy:

5 Likes

When the monastery bistro is open every day from Noon to Midnight, but it’s a Theravada Monastery…

5 Likes