Building a Map

Actually scratch that, I just found the option to display the current view rather than full map view:

<iframe width="100%" height="300px" frameBorder="0" src="https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/buddhas-india-teaching-sutta-locations_122958?scaleControl=false&miniMap=false&scrollWheelZoom=false&zoomControl=true&allowEdit=false&moreControl=true&searchControl=null&tilelayersControl=null&embedControl=null&datalayersControl=true&onLoadPanel=none&captionBar=false&locateControl=null#11/27.4790/82.0823"></iframe><p><a href="https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/buddhas-india-teaching-sutta-locations_122958">See full screen</a></p>

(edited to remove the data panel)

1 Like

I’ve updated the page so you can have a look.

In the mean time, I found the error with the links on that map: You use links to the old parallels-pages without the language code in there. The redirect only works for files that had a language code. I will change that.

1 Like

Took me a moment to work out what you meant, but figured it out (sorry, I guess you’ll have to do a lot of waiting for me to catch up!).

Yes, at the time, I paused for a moment to think about what to do. Originally I was just going to link directly to the EN suttas, but figured this was unfair to the non-anglophones. When I reconsider it now, this was a bit of an idiotic decision given that the map itself is in English… meh… what can I do about that. :laughing:

[quote=“Vimala, post:22, topic:8951”]
I’ve updated
[/quote]
Sorry, sorry, how about removing the data panel (I edited the above a moment later)?
(Did a hard refresh, to show the update.)

Wow this has gotten busy!

I hadn’t thought about the other languages. :sweat:
Originally I was thinking of a different approach where each location or region of the map would have it’s own file. This was approximately 200 maps when I looked it over. It would have been a little work to edit each map, but once they were finished they could be kept internally. This would remove any dependence on the reliability of another site.

With the other languages though this would be potentially thousands of maps. So I guess that’s probably outside the realm of possibility now.

Anyways, focusing on a possible user end organization of “context features” such as word, languages, definition, pronunciation (text & audio), map, etc, etc…

I do think this would all have to be approached together and presented in one of either two ways. Clicking on a word, location, etc… would open up either a blurb bubble, or a context bar. Originally I thought the bubble would be the way to go, but after seeing 84000.co the context bar is way better. The reason for this is that the context bar stays as you continue scrolling through the sutra. It also doesn’t clutter the screen. As where with the bubble popup would make things more messy in appearance and would not be able to follow with scroll in a practical manner.

Here is example of this context window from 84000.co …

As you can see within the text of the sutra the words are nicely underlined. This fades after a few moments of resting on the screen. Each of this words can be clicked on and it brings up this context window. This is the part of the image describing the Bamboo Grove. This window can vary in size on the site, which as you can see is sometimes way to big. Also it fails to utilize space very well. Reorganize and better filling that space would stop it from being oversized. I would suggest making this context uniform in size and allow the option to scroll through text in this context window if even necessary. Also you can see the extra room available for maps. :smiley: Also the Audio pronunciation links could be put within the context window when a person clicks on the word.

There is so much that could be done with this. This was the bases for my presentation, a butchered version. It is the jest of it though.

Please take a look at 84000.co and get a feel for how it works. It has it’s flaws, but it looks very close to a desirable feature that I think many users would enjoy and be surprised by.

Note: Probably won’t make a presentation now. I don’t think there is much more I could add. I was initially going to do more detailed photos for organization and detailed description for text presence, but I don’t think it will be necessary. It will have to be worked out with what is practical and that will take sometime.

I might try to work on a mock-up example of how a nicely organized “context window” would look like. A simple photo edit. Just depends on where the conversation goes.

1 Like

Don’t worry. It is fine as it is. All old links to various translations are now redirected to the suttaplex card for that sutta and as it happens, that’s the same link as the old parallel-pages (accept for the Vinaya files because the “pi” has been changed to “pli” in there). And they must be redirected too so I will have a look at how to do that.

Again, don’t worry about it. We don’t need maps in multiple languages, only English and also translations can link to that.

Thank you for doing this. 84000 looks like an amazing project. I hope that one day we will also have the early-Buddhist texts from these on SC. We have somebody who is working on that.

How this should further be worked out I leave up to Bhante @sujato.

3 Likes

Let me make a separate thread for this.